Forum Member

Default What kind of trainings would you like to have?

With the new year coming what kind of training would you like to see? Iím trying to look out side the box so to say. We have a group of us working on doing trainings so it doesnít get old. We are rotating officer giving them. Has worked out well so far keeps in new and interesting. Iím always open for new ideas, someone out there may have a get idea for me. Thanks guys for what ever help you wish to through out
    Training does not make perfect. Training makes permanent!

IACOJ probie

Forum Member

We do alot of different things throughout the year, live car fire training, mock responses such as giving your guys an address at a vacant house and having them find it then lay in and do some pump training, it seems to do our guys some good on knowing the streets, and working our new guys on the 5". Ladder evolutions, i am sure you guys do all this just a few ideas from here. Of course everyone loves a live burn call me crazy but i love proper ventilation training and overhaul, you can have the line i will be in the corner pulling the ceiling and finding the fire for you....truckie at heart

Forum Member

It depends on what your department does.

stuff that I would want to see my department train on:
    basic EMS skills, motor vehicle extrication (without any hyralic (sp) tools, no cutters or spreaders, something different), live fire training (all types of structures), building construction (go find buildings that are of a certain type, look at themin person, go in side with the author's permission, examine buildings that are being built, hands on stuff), beginer pump ops for new guys, advanced pump ops for old guys. Ventilation on a real roof on a house that is going to be demolished (cut the roof in several places, do it on air, etc), using both a fog nozzle to fight the fire, and then using a smooth bore so firefighters can see the differents in how they work.

other stuff:
    basic searching (a real house with furniture and other crap) in zero visibility, FF survival and FAST operations, table top excersizes for officer training (ie, if you were the IC, how would you handle this situation? and make sure to thrown in several curve balls). go over where all the equipment is on all the trucks, make sure everyone know where everything is on every truck. make sure they know how to start the device, how to use it, and what it's limitations are.

that's all I can think of off the top of my head.
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Forum Member

I am a firm believer that if a man really wants to learn something, let him teach it. I have started assigning my more experienced people a class to teach, first they must study the subject, put a lesson plan together, then both written and orally present it to me, then put on the class, and I set in and monitor the class. This gets them involved deeper, give them a good foundation to teaching, and starts building future officers. So you are getting Two classes in one. Plus you start to see a pattern of competition, Who can teach the best class.
    Another thing I have found is that the more advanced people lose interest in training, so many times we do the same thing over and over, and donít get me wrong we NEED that, but every so often find a class that well challenge them, find subjects that are not in the books, for instance We go over and over extrication, same old thing, roof removal, door, dash roll, How about a class on the new restraint systems, 90% of FF do not even know some of the system exist, yet they are going to encounter one and when they do they are going to get hurt. How about taking them out on a job site and look over some long span truss roofs, Or a LPG bulk plant and let them put your people through one of their burn offs and repair of under ground lines.
    Take a look at my web site if I can help you with material or training aids let me know.

http://midsouthrescue.tripod.com/lee/

PS: Be sure if you run a training schedule that you have a fill in class ready because some will do great and some will fail you.
    http://www.midsouthrescue.org
    Is it time to change our training yet ?

Forum Member

A major city next to us lost all water pressure the other day. They didn't know what to do. They had no idea how to draft. Even if you aren't out in the country, drafting may be required some time. It would be a good idea to know the principles and techniques. It isn't as simple as hooking up a tender/tanker to the engine and going. Timing is important. If you drain the engine and start sucking the tanker dry, you will eventually run out of water. Rationing, or at leastconserving a little more than if you had unlimited water is a must.

I woudl also like to see more disaster training. We had a train wreck a few months ago. The train had chemicals and other freight. The scary part was when we pulled up, we couldn't see the DOT markers that identify the dangers in the container. The train was messed up that bad. We approached, packed out with full SCBA and exposure suits to find a label that said chlorine. Could have been bad. We also have a train depot just outside of town. You really have no idea how many chemical and toxic substances come through your town on a daily basis. Training would be beneficial if you are anywhere near a railroad track. Even if it is in a neighboring district, because when a train wrecks, it is huge. A lot of times, one district won't be able to handle it and you may be called for mutual aid.

Just a couple of suggestions. There are soooo many things that you should train on, just not enough time to do it all. Seems like we train on something, then get a few new guys and have to train on them again. That prevents us from doing a lot of training that we should because we have to train on the "everyday" events rather than specialized training.

Forum Member

[QUOTE=RadRob]A major city next to us lost all water pressure the other day. They didn't know what to do. They had no idea how to draft. Even if you aren't out in the country, drafting may be required some time. It would be a good idea to know the principles and techniques. It isn't as simple as hooking up a tender/tanker to the engine and going. Timing is important. If you drain the engine and start sucking the tanker dry, you will eventually run out of water. Rationing, or at leastconserving a little more than if you had unlimited water is a must.

I woudl also like to see more disaster training. We had a train wreck a few months ago. The train had chemicals and other freight. The scary part was when we pulled up, we couldn't see the DOT markers that identify the dangers in the container. The train was messed up that bad. We approached, packed out with full SCBA and exposure suits to find a label that said chlorine. Could have been bad. We also have a train depot just outside of town. You really have no idea how many chemical and toxic substances come through your town on a daily basis. Training would be beneficial if you are anywhere near a railroad track. Even if it is in a neighboring district, because when a train wrecks, it is huge. A lot of times, one district won't be able to handle it and you may be called for mutual aid.

Just a couple of suggestions. There are soooo many things that you should train on, just not enough time to do it all. Seems like we train on something, then get a few new guys and have to train on them again. That prevents us from doing a lot of training that we should because we have to train on the "everyday" events rather than specialized training.[/QUOTE]

Try putting one of your guys to training the new ones while you teach some more adv. training. I have always been afaid that we may become like stagnet water. If we train, train, train, on the same things that's all we will know, but if some train on more adv. things they will be able to lead the others when you run into the need. But at the same time you must mix them once in a while, because repitetion is what makes our training become 2nd nature. and they must learn to work together as a team.
    http://www.midsouthrescue.org
    Is it time to change our training yet ?

Forum Member

[QUOTE=DrParasite]

motor vehicle extrication (without any hyralic (sp) tools, no cutters or spreaders, something different),QUOTE]

Everyone thanks for the replies. Funny u mention about the extraction training. This past spring we was doing extraction training when our spreaders broke. The officer that was giving the training said that is guess we are done. I was the main officer there told him no your not. This is the perfect example of what can happen. If this was a real call you couldnít say ok we are done. It went real well from there. The group learned quite a bit.
    This last year we pulled the younger guys and jrís and started a back to basicís type class with them. Now everyone is brought up to speed on our sopís/ sogís. We are going to bring the group back together for trainings. Since we have moved in to our new station we kept the old one. We have been using it for search and rescue type trainings. I work in the automotive industry and keep up on the srs that are coming out with the help of many on this forum. Right now we have a very good group of people that want to learn. We are hoping to keep it from get to the same old thing. I appreciate all the ideas here. It is nice to come in to the station and see this group going over trucks and equipment in stead of just hanging out. I have gone in to the lounge and had guys watching working fire videoís.
    For this year we have started to set up a few things. Have the Highway Patrol coming in to gove over traffic control and laws on responding with lights and sirens. The power company will be coming in. Trying to set up and arson 1 class. We have a company that does tour busses bring one in to go over stuff on it. We are going out to business in our area to get familiar with the lay outs. Our local police is coming in to go over securing weapons hand guns long guns ext. Both the local ambulance companyís coming to go over their equipment and location of it. That is what we have going for the first couple of months. Going to get into table top trainings this fall
    Training does not make perfect. Training makes permanent!

IACOJ probie

Thread Information