Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: drager scba's

Forum Member

Question drager scba's

I Am Looking For Departments That Use Drager Scba's Our Used To For There Pros And Cons Of This Scba's

MembersZone Subscriber NorcalMike's Avatar

Used to use drager's. We are switching to scott. Too many failures. Enough said.

MembersZone Subscriber mcaldwell's Avatar

Do a search on it, and there are tons of threads discussing this at length.

Suffice it to say that there are a huge amount of departments using, and completely happy with Draegar (including us), but like all other peices of equipment, you must conduct your own head to head comparisons to determine which peice bets meets your needs and budget.

When you are dealing with the major SCBA manufacturers (i.e. Draegar, Scott, MSA, etc.), it is like Ford vs Chevy vs. Dodge etc...

It's all just brand loyalty and personal preference.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Temporarily/No Longer Active

I like the PAS alarm on the Drager's. You definitly can't miss that wonderful noise. )

It's like comparing Dodge and Chevy, Nike and Reebok, Blonde and Brunette...

I'd contact MSA, SCOTT, and DRAGER and see if you can get a pack from the vendor to test out for a few weeks.

Have all members test them out and take a vote.

Forum Member

we had many issues with shoulder & waist straps pulling through the metal parts that let the straps release, the rubber headnets breaking, cloth headnets stretching out tremendously, and the cylinders are hard enough to change in broad daylight, let alone on a downed FF in a IDLH environment. But like others said, I'm sure every manufacturer has their issues.

Forum Member

Our dept replaced our older 25-MSA SCBA with 25 - PSS100 Dragers about a year ago. We did have some controversy from a small part of our membership when we purchased these SCBA because they were "different" than the MSA. We did evaluate MSA, Scott, and Drager but in the end Drager scored the highest, MSA was a close second and Scott ranked the lowest.Everyone in our vol dept was allowed to evaluate and state their reason for liking or disliking any of the SCBA.

We have been very happy with Drager packs. Have not had any problems besides replacing batteries. One of the concerns some people had with the Dragers was that the Drager had a whistle instead of a bell for a low air alarm and the Centinal PASS was not as loud as the other two. We did compare MSA and Dragers low air alarm and PASS and they were both 100 decibals. It was not an issue after that.

There have been five vol dept in our area that all used MSA and in the last two years they have switched to Drager. I have spoke to all of these departments and everyone of them have been satisfied with the Drager. We have a very dependable dealer selling and servicing these SCBA. All of the SCBA that we evaulated have positives and negatives. Buy a pack that works the best for your department.

where is Samson ?>>>>>>>
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

MembersZone Subscriber mcaldwell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Weruj1
    where is Samson ?>>>>>>>
    SSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

I feared to mention his name, lest he appear and start "That Thread" all over again.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Low bid junk. You get what you pay for. Get the Scotts, be happy and done with it.

When it comes down to it, the words below in blue say it all...

AND WHAT ARE THESE FOUR BOYS WEARING? SCOTTS!
    Last edited by CALFFBOU; 12-24-2005 at 05:42 AM.

Bro- You like many others are going to support whatever your FD gives you. More offen than not, its LOW BID. Just like RainMan said about K-Mart, low bid sucks. Sorry to be so blunt, but I would hate seeing these little FDs buying the low bid crap to save a dime and blow dollars later in repairs.

Look at FDNY. I am gonna guess they might see more fire than your current company. And guess what, they beat those Scotts into the ground and they keep working. HELLO! Its nice to get your moneys worth and more from a product.

Dont not go cheap. You will end up paying more in the end. Get the best, work with the best and then you will be happy. SCOTT is the way, hands down. Done. Period.
    Last edited by CALFFBOU; 12-24-2005 at 05:40 AM.

Forum Member

We have been using Dragers for almost two years now. We are very happy with them. Two cons about them that I have are batteries and the connector to change the tank. Batteries are something that all SCBA users comment about, no matter the brand of pack. The tank connecting system on the Dragers takes a bit of getting used to, but we knew that before we purchased them. We demoed Scott, MSA, ISI and Drager. Get them in house and play with them, that's the key.

You will find many on this site that a very PRO Scott. That's great! they are comfortable with their PPE, we are comfortable with our PPE and we use Drager.

One comment about the low bid thing...Scott was low bid when we purchased. Drager was the highest. The members voted and got what they wanted. Know that doesn't always work that way in larger areas though.

Take Care!

Forum Member

FDNY use Scott, as do many other larger departments. They will likely use Scott well into the future. The interoperability issues that would be created by having different manufactures packs within the same organization would be significant. I also doubt that they will budget to replace all of their packs anytime soon.

Forum Member

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by CALFFBOU

Dont not go cheap. You will end up paying more in the end. Get the best, work with the best and then you will be happy. SCOTT is the way, hands down. Done. Period.
    We research the market several years ago and changed from scott to drager safety.This was not a low bid issue for us.The scott rep apparenty did not worry about a dozen or so packs for a small rural department.Drager did!The packs have been great.Drager hosted a tech repair class free which allow two firefighters to troubleshoot and do minor repairs to the units.We have just been awared a grant which will purchase more packs and upgrade the older units to the current standards.The best is in the eyes of the end user.We are happy!hands down.Done! Period!
    Last edited by coldfront; 12-24-2005 at 12:19 PM.
    Always a day late and a dollar short!

Hillbilly Irish!

Forum Member

According to our sales rep, one thing that Drager did to prolong battery life was to switch their HUD seaching for a signal from every two seconds too every four seconds. Supposed to double our battery life. I think that MSA is trying the same thing??

Toddman, I believe that we have the same sales rep. They have been real good to us.

When we bid out our SCBA, MSA was the cheapest (by a big margin), then Scott, Drager was the highest. The sales rep that sells Scott in our area also belongs to a vol dept. His dept also purchased Drager. Again, buy what works the best for YOUR deptartment.

More offen than not, its LOW BID. Just like RainMan said about K-Mart, low bid sucks.
    That's funny. Around here, Scott is the Low Bid so should I ignore them?
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

We have been using them for several years. I must say that I was very skeptical at first, but we have actually had very few problems that I know of. I have never had a problem with a pack that I have been using.

I wish ours were configured differently, but that is a department issue, not a Draeger one. I have used MSA, Scott, Draeger, and ISI. Really they were all okay with me. The object is air, right? They all gave me air. They all offer advantages and disadvantages. Its all what you get used to and want to pay for. The biggest pro to Scott is the large open face piece when your off air, after that there all the same!
    Robert Kramer
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Bro- You like many others are going to support whatever your FD gives you. More offen than not, its LOW BID. Just like RainMan said about K-Mart, low bid sucks. Sorry to be so blunt, but I would hate seeing these little FDs buying the low bid crap to save a dime and blow dollars later in repairs.

Look at FDNY. I am gonna guess they might see more fire than your current company. And guess what, they beat those Scotts into the ground and they keep working. HELLO! Its nice to get your moneys worth and more from a product.

I kind of agree with the don't go with cheapest idea.

We just converted from Scott to MSA by ordering 16 MSA FireHawks. I've worn both and can live with either one of them, though I find the MSA to be my personal favorite. During the bid process we accepted bids from Scott MSA and Drager reps. By far the MSA rep had far more knowledge then either of the other 2. Our Scott rep barely seemed to know what he was holding and every time we asked a question his answer was "I'm not sure". Prior to his arrival we had done very indepth research and our Asst Chief knew the Scott inside and out, too bad the rep didn't take the time to do the same thing.

When it came to looking at Drager, we never really took them very serious. When one of the first things your sales rep says is "Buy 3 get one free!" it scares me about the quality of the product. He didn't mention how good his product was or how safe, he just pushed the fact that we they were really really cheap. Close to half of the cost of the MSA as a matter of fact.

Regardless of who you go with remember one thing, make those sales reps work for the money! Remind them that their air packs are not the only ones on the market. We made our sales reps rebid several times, by the time it was over they were pratically fighting to get our buisiness. In the end we got a really sweet deal, including a free pump for our rescue tools and free spare tanks.

PKFPD
    IACOJ and proud of it

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.

Forum Member

MSA and Scott both brought in factory reps when they came to our department to give their sales pitch. Drager was only represented by the local dealer. We had a list of 25 questions that we were going to ask all three companies. The local dealers that were selling and servicing MSA and Scott would not answer any of the 25 questions that they were asked, they refered all of the questions to their factory rep. We have had a good working relationship with both of these reps for twenty plus years, they were either shy or just didn't know enough about the product that they were trying to sell. The local Drager rep knew his product inside and out. Not one of the three said anything bad about the others product, but the MSA factory rep was constantly comparing MSA to Drager. The product knowledge of the local rep was also one of the determining factor of our department purchasing Drager.

MembersZone Subscriber

If you do a search you find a thread that I started last fall. We just bought 18 new Scott NXG2's. We were wearing ISI with the air switch mask. We brought in Scott, MSA, ISI, Draeger and Survivair. The Draeger was by far the most comfortable pack that we tried. The downside was that we had radio interference problems with their wireless HUD. Our local rep for Draeger (who is a frienf of mine) could not get an answer from Draeger as to why. They claim it was a fluke and it had never happened before. It interfered with our low band channel 2 which is 46.42. If we did not have the interference, we would have looked much more seriously at them. I know they are real popular outside the states so best of luck in whichever direction you go. Also, as far as the low bidder goes, Scott was low bidder for us by about $750 per pack!!

Good luck

Forum Member

The bottle falls out of the pack to easy, they suck, they have more fancy lights and alarms than a damn space ship, they suck, they are ugly, they suck, they are cheaply built, they suck, any more questions, they suck

Thread Information