Forum Member

Default Incident commanders info needed

Who are the incident commanders employed by? Is it the Forest Service? Do they have one agency or person they report to, and is there a national organization? How do they all get together on new firefighting techniques and regulations?

Thanks in advance for this information!

Forum Member

IC's are usually agency personnel, be it Federal or state. If a contractor were to arrive first, the captain would be the IC until relieved by agency, unless there was some sort of a MOU to allow the contractor to remain as the IC (i.e. former fed employee who is qualified and known to the jurisdictional agency). You can learn all this in the NWCG course I-100, which comes as part of your basic wildland fire courses that must be passed to be redcarded.
    IACOJ
    Stopping controlled burning DOES NOT stop the burning, only the control!
    http://www.wy.blm.gov/fireuse/fums.htm

MembersZone Subscriber

Are you looking for info on the local IC's or national and regional teams?

Forum Member

Thank guys for your help!

I was wondering how IC's keep up to date with new information that they need to know to accomplish their jobs. Is there a yearly refresher course or meeting?

For example, if FEMA, USDA, or BLM wants the ICís to document what it costs the government to perform structure protection on any given wildfire, how do they tell the ICís to do this? Or if there is a new firefighting technique that is working well on wildland fires and they want to adapt this technique nation wide to save costs and structure, how would they go about getting all the ICís on the same page?

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm not exactly sure what you are asking. The IC normally has a finance section chief that takes care of all the money issues. They have to turn in a cost summary everyday for the duration of the fire. The forms are pretty much standard and the same for every agency, they may vary a little but they all contain the same information.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jollyrgr

I was wondering how IC's keep up to date with new information that they need to know to accomplish their jobs. Is there a yearly refresher course or meeting?
    I asked a Type 1 IC about this, he stated that after each assignment the teams will post an AAR on the Lessons Learned website.
    http://wildfirelessons.net/

They also have a meeting with all the teams to discuss this type of new info every spring.

Stay Safe

Forum Member

Thank guys for your help!

Annual Refresher in my area for all ICT5-ICT3.. There is probably something for ICT2 & ICT1.

For example, if FEMA, USDA, or BLM wants the ICís to document what it costs the government to perform structure protection on any given wildfire, how do they tell the ICís to do this? Or if there is a new firefighting technique that is working well on wildland fires and they want to adapt this technique nation wide to save costs and structure, how would they go about getting all the ICís on the same page?
    Just like rasmeycl, I'm not sure exactly what you are getting at with this. ICT1, ICT2 and some ICT3 (depending on incident) come with teams that document costs. For structure protection on type 4 incidents, the IC would document who did what and then the cost determined at a later date... cost would have should have no bearing on suppression actions. The exception is like in Oregon, where if the fire is on private property, the landowner has ultimate say in what can and can't be done. More often than not, the land owner just nods and agrees with the IC. The IC is expected to try to minimize cost, but cost shouldn't be the only factor in tactics.

Hope this helps
    IACOJ
    Stopping controlled burning DOES NOT stop the burning, only the control!
    http://www.wy.blm.gov/fireuse/fums.htm

Forum Member

well i am a pvt contracter i am a type 3 ic and have been a i.c on state and fed fires,. the point here is anyone with the training and time can work as a i.c. ..start studying and read up on it ...

Thread Information