Forum Member

Question Ct Fire Testing Co. ????

Does anyone know the name of the testing company that most jurisdictions in CT use to administer their fire tests? I know that Norwich, Bristol, and Branford all use it in addition to many other places. The test has the 5 page memory and is 100 questions (and administered by the guy who looks like Santa Clause- I'm sure many of you know who I'm talking about :-), if that helps.

I am trying to contact these people and I need the company name. If anyone knows it please post. Also if anyone has their contact info that would be a huge help to me.

By the way does anyone know why you never receive an official score when you take their test? I always get the same letter, which states you have not scored high enough to receive an interview. Does that mean I failed or I passed? I see the same people at these tests over and over. Does anyone get hired???
    Thanks.

MembersZone Subscriber

Two of the most popular testing companies in CT are Zendzian and Associates and Bruce Davies Associates. I have had very positive experiences with both of them. I do not have contact information.

Each town sets the criteria for testing, i.e. candidates must score above a certain number in order to move on the the next exam. While you may have passed the test (scored above 70), the town may only be interviewing candidates that score abovbe 80 or 85. Extra points (military, previous training, etc.) may also be added. Sometimes you receive your score, sometimes just the letter.

I have sat on many oral boards and would always see the same group at every exam, and usually they do just as poor as the previous time. There are others on the forum who are better qualified to help you get above the pack.
    -------------------
    "The most mediocre man or woman can suddenly seem dynamic, forceful, and decisive if he or she is mean enough." from "Crazy Bosses"
    -----------------------------------------------
    Genius has its limits, but stupidity is boundless.

Forum Member

KenNFD1219-
    I recently took the Norwich FD test and have taken many more across the state of Conn. over the years. I have many study guides and none of them seem to compare to the types of fire tests that I have taken, especially with the 5 page memory. That is why I trying to contact the testing companies so I can see what they have to say.
    One of the most frustrating things is the fact that I feel like I do a little better on each exam but I never really know because instead of receiving a score or a rank, I get the same letter which states that I will not be receiving an interview at this time. Do you have any feelings or feedback on this? I am willing to travel, practice, and continue to take as many tests as possible, but I sometimes feel that it doesn't really get me anywhere since I never know where I stand. I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Forum Member

Whaler,

I know the Santa Claus your talking about , every test I've taken with this co. I recieved a written score. Usually that is coming from the town and not the company itself, I'm sure its the towns desire not to let you know how well you did if you didn't pass their passing score.
    Bristol recent test didn't take anyone that had under a 83, and the ones that didn't score higher then a 83 werent told how well they did.
    If you purchase the practice exam books that are ususally sold in BArnes and Noble or the other book store you will see more of a practice exam like the one that Santa gives out.
    If you really want to know how well you did, call the town up and ask them to tell you your score, they might I dunno but I hope this helps a bit.

Forum Member

I have found testing guides have helped me tremendously. I scored a 93 on my very first test I took two years ago and after that it was always in the low to mid 80's. I bought and used some study guides and have seen my scores go up to the low to mid 90's.

Has anyone heard anything from Norwich yet??? Its still kinda early.

MembersZone Subscriber

Whaler,

I do agree, in my opinion, that either the town or testing company should notify you of your scores. However, your raw score would not help if, for example, a test had four sections (memory, math, mechanical, and spatial relationships) and you bombed out on one of them.

As cold as it may sound, the testing company and the town do not have any desire to help you pass the test. They are only interested in finding the highest scoring candidates on the written exam to go onto the next phase of testing.
    -------------------
    "The most mediocre man or woman can suddenly seem dynamic, forceful, and decisive if he or she is mean enough." from "Crazy Bosses"
    -----------------------------------------------
    Genius has its limits, but stupidity is boundless.

Forum Member

Mark 21,
    What study guides have helped you? I have Don McNea Fire School Books and Baron's Books. Just wondering what you use.
    I think a huge obstacle for most is the extensive memory portion. Haven't found a book yet which has memory that is as extensive as on the exam.
    Thanks.

Forum Member

KenNFD1219,
    I see your point and it is valid. The reason why I would like to see a score is to see if I am improving in any area thereby getting a higher overall score. Obviously if I am not improving at all then something on my end is not working. Thanks for the post.

Forum Member

Whaler,
    I have the Don McNea and I forget the other one, I'll have to check. I don't know on the memory stuff. I guess that part is fairly easy for me. Maybe try taking some pics of some things and have someone come up with some questions for you on the pics. Then give yourself a moc test. Look at the pics for a few minutes and then take the questions. Or look around for memory games that might enhance your skills. I'm a very visual person, but still the best thing for me is practice
    Good Luck

Thread Information