1. #1
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    27

    Question Water Extinguishers

    I did a search and could not really get an answer of what i wanted and it made me think of some new questions. Since soap could damage some parts of a fire engine could it hurt any part of a fire extinguisher?? How much soap should be added to the 2 1/2 gallon extinguisher?? How can you keep a H2O extinguisher from freezing when stored in your POV during the winter. Temps usually dont get below 0. Thought of antifreeze but thought it was flammable?? Any suggestions? Thanks.

  2. #2
    Forum Member
    IGotTheJumpSeat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    112

    Default

    I'm certified by my state as a portable extinguisher tech. I've never heard of anyone wanting to put soap into a water extinguisher. The only problems I could forsee would be the possible drying out of the rubber o rings that are around the plunger, it would not have any impact on the siphen tube at all. the only other issue I could see would be while charging the cylinder with air if somehow the water/soap solution would "bubble up", causing over pressurization? the later of the two would be the one i'd worry about the most, but really I dont think it would be that big of an issue.

    As far as keeping a water cylinder from freezing in the winter months just add calcium chloride to the water and it wont freeze up. The question I ask is why would you want a water extinguisher for your POV? I would recomend a 5 or 10# ABC that way you get the A rating as well as the B,C ratings. Whatever you do, dont get a 2.5# ABC there about as effective as throwing the extinguisher it's self at a fire.

    I'll ask the guys at the shop to be sure, there the ones that actually tear them down, I just service them.

    Those are just my 2 cents, hope i've been of some help, Merry Christmas and a safe and happy New Year.

  3. #3
    MembersZone Subscriber
    cdemarse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    493

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IGotTheJumpSeat
    Whatever you do, dont get a 2.5# ABC there about as effective as throwing the extinguisher it's self at a fire.

    it worked for Brian in backdraft
    "Train as if your life depends on it"
    Always Remember *343*

  4. #4
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    14

    Default

    There is a thread titled "Foam in extinguishers". Do a search for such and click onto the site that Resq14 indicates. Any Q's kick it back to me and I'll get better directions. Best of luck and Stay Safe. Happy Holidays,
    Last edited by kennyv; 12-23-2005 at 10:25 PM. Reason: Correction

  5. #5
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kennyv
    There is a thread titled "Foam in extinguishers". Do a search for such and click onto the site that Resq14 indicates. Any Q's kick it back to me and I'll get better directions. Best of luck and Stay Safe. Happy Holidays,
    Thanks. i didnt find that one earlier... i prolly missed it since i was looking through 9 pages of results.

    The idea of making it a CAFS was a good one.... which is better to use dish soap or class a foam?

  6. #6
    Forum Member
    BFDNJFF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Iraq
    Posts
    1,508

    Default

    Soap?? I have put a cup full of Class A foam in water cans but never heard of soap.
    ******=================
    ******================
    ******=================
    ******================
    =======================
    =======================
    =======================

    ------GOD BLESS AMERICA ! ------

  7. #7
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BFDNJFF
    Soap?? I have put a cup full of Class A foam in water cans but never heard of soap.

    supposedly it works like foam somehow too.. not too sure... thats why i was wondering which is better to use?

  8. #8
    makes good girls go bad
    BLSboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    On the beach, Fla/OCNJ
    Posts
    2,859

    Default

    We use soap in our H2O extinguisher. It acts as a surfactant, and gets better "penetration" on putting the fire out. We just used it the other day on a porch fire. When we returned to quarters, i put about about a half cup or so in there. Works great. But if you are carrying in a POV, get an ABC, or dont even bother.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

  9. #9
    Forum Member
    ffexpCP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    909

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IGotTheJumpSeat
    the only other issue I could see would be while charging the cylinder with air if somehow the water/soap solution would "bubble up", causing over pressurization?

    As far as keeping a water cylinder from freezing in the winter months just add calcium chloride to the water and it wont freeze up.
    I don't see how it would over pressurize. Once you stop filling it no more air is getting inside.

    Won’t the pseudo-salt corrode the works?

  10. #10
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    27

    Exclamation

    Quote Originally Posted by ffexpCP
    Won’t the pseudo-salt corrode the works?
    Thats what i thought.... Just went and looked at my APW currently stored inside so as not to freeze says. NEVER fill with calcium chloride.

    So back to the drawing board as to how to keep it from freezing once again without buying the loaded stream charge??

  11. #11
    Forum Member
    IGotTheJumpSeat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    112

    Default

    Sorry Firebuff, I thought it was CC the guys at the shop use. I might have been wrong. Anyways i'll still ask them what they use when recharging customers water cannons. Like I said, I dont tear them down, just do the monthly/anual services on them at the customers location.

  12. #12
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    27

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by IGotTheJumpSeat
    Sorry Firebuff, I thought it was CC the guys at the shop use. I might have been wrong. Anyways i'll still ask them what they use when recharging customers water cannons. Like I said, I dont tear them down, just do the monthly/anual services on them at the customers location.
    Thanks alot for your replys. I hope to find a way to be able to keep it in the winter.

  13. #13
    Forum Member
    IGotTheJumpSeat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    112

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by firebuffE12
    Thanks alot for your replys. I hope to find a way to be able to keep it in the winter.
    I know theres a way because I bring in water cannons for the guys at the shop to hydro all the time. I'll find out for ya monday and let ya know what the agent is they use for freezing weather waters.

  14. #14
    Forum Member
    BFDNJFF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Iraq
    Posts
    1,508

    Default

    Hmmm just a thaught ..........You are trying to keep it in your pov and afraid of it freezing , maybe you can add a couple of cups of that nontoxic antifreeze in it. I dont know if that would work but maybe someone would know.
    ******=================
    ******================
    ******=================
    ******================
    =======================
    =======================
    =======================

    ------GOD BLESS AMERICA ! ------

  15. #15
    MembersZone Subscriber
    mtnfireguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 1999
    Location
    Wyoming
    Posts
    633

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by firebuffE12
    Since soap could damage some parts of a fire engine could it hurt any part of a fire extinguisher?? How much soap should be added to the 2 1/2 gallon extinguisher??.
    Have used soap, but not anywhere near a 1/2 cup... Have also used Class A foam.. in both cases just a small amount will allow the water to penetrate better.

    Quote Originally Posted by firebuffE12
    How can you keep a H2O extinguisher from freezing when stored in your POV during the winter. .
    As for freezing, have used the antifreeze you put in RV water systems.

    Quote Originally Posted by firebuffE12
    Temps usually dont get below 0.
    Water begins to freeze at 32 degrees, just for the record
    Buckle Up, Slow Down, Arrive Alive
    "Everybody Goes Home"

    IACOJ 2003

  16. #16
    Forum Member
    ffexpCP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    909

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mtnfireguy
    Water begins to freeze at 32 degrees, just for the record
    Depends which side of the thermometer you’re looking at.

  17. #17
    MembersZone Subscriber
    mtnfireguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 1999
    Location
    Wyoming
    Posts
    633

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ffexpCP
    Depends which side of the thermometer you’re looking at.

    LOL..... got a point there bro!!! and then there is that whole fahrenheit vs celsius thing!!
    Buckle Up, Slow Down, Arrive Alive
    "Everybody Goes Home"

    IACOJ 2003

  18. #18
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BFDNJFF
    Hmmm just a thaught ..........You are trying to keep it in your pov and afraid of it freezing , maybe you can add a couple of cups of that nontoxic antifreeze in it. I dont know if that would work but maybe someone would know.
    Is that stuff flammable?? Just wondering. Ive never used it. Is the water safe to drink even with it in it??

  19. #19
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    27

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by ffexpCP
    Depends which side of the thermometer you’re looking at.
    I meant below 0 F. Just so you knew what i meant.

  20. #20
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Essex Junction, VT
    Posts
    409

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by firebuffE12
    Is that stuff flammable?? Just wondering. Ive never used it. Is the water safe to drink even with it in it??
    why would you drink it?

  21. #21
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by needlejockey
    why would you drink it?
    well he said from a RV water tank they put it in there. I know they have different tanks such as used water or grey tanks or however you call it. I dont mean drinking it from a fire extinguisher. I mean with the RV antifreeze in the water tank of an RV is that water safe to drink? Just curious as I dont really do much with RVs.
    Last edited by firebuffE12; 12-24-2005 at 03:46 PM. Reason: Correction

  22. #22
    Forum Member
    NDeMarse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Bronx, NYC
    Posts
    490

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by firebuffE12
    I did a search and could not really get an answer of what i wanted and it made me think of some new questions. Since soap could damage some parts of a fire engine could it hurt any part of a fire extinguisher?? How much soap should be added to the 2 1/2 gallon extinguisher?? How can you keep a H2O extinguisher from freezing when stored in your POV during the winter. Temps usually dont get below 0. Thought of antifreeze but thought it was flammable?? Any suggestions? Thanks.
    I have never heard of soap damaging a rig or an extinguisher. However, we don't use soap. We use about 6-10 ounces of AFFF foam in our "Foam Pressurized Water" extinguishers. Fill the extinguisher to about 1/2, slowly add 6-10 ounces of AFFF, then VERY SLOWLY add the remaining water. I am not sure how much soap should be added to get the same effect, and I have no experience with Class A foam in the extinguisher.

    To keep a water extinguisher from freezing you can either keep it inside the cab or add a couple of ounces of anti-freeze to the extinguisher. I have never heard of it lighting up when you go to use it. Just to be safe, don't use a lot. A very little will keep 2 1/2 gallons from freezing. You definately don't want so much that water coming out is green or it probably will light up.

    Not breaking balls here, but I would think that Calcium Chloride or anything with the words "Sodium", Calcium or other chemicals ending in "ide" would probably corrode the components of the extinguisher.

    Just my thoughts
    Good Luck, Stay Low & Stay Safe

    Nate DeMarse
    Co-Owner, Brotherhood Instructors, LLC.
    http://brotherhoodinstructors.com
    Facebook Users: Join us here
    -------------------------------
    GET IN THE JOB, BE A STUDENT OF THE JOB!

  23. #23
    Forum Member
    bjlffire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Ne Missouri
    Posts
    342

    Default

    Igot: What is a water cannon? And What do tou use it for?

  24. #24
    Forum Member
    Dave1983's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Gator Country
    Posts
    4,157

    Question

    Quote Originally Posted by IGotTheJumpSeat
    I'm certified by my state as a portable extinguisher tech. I've never heard of anyone wanting to put soap into a water extinguisher.

    Really? Hmmm, the department I work for has been putting soap in them since before I started ('83) and as far as I know, so do all the other area departments. I thought it was something everybody did.

    We put a tablespoon or two in 2.5 gallons of water. Weve also tried class "A" foam but found it didnt work any better then the soap for the few times we use it for fires. We mainly use our water extinguishers for cleaning up after trauma calls, so its a waste of money to use foam.

    Cant help with the freezing question, rarely gets that cold here.

    And no, it doest cause any problems with the "workings" of the extinguisher. The can on our '84 reserve pumper works as good today as it did when new.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

    IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

    "No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

    Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

  25. #25
    Forum Member
    IGotTheJumpSeat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    112

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bjlffire
    Igot: What is a water cannon? And What do tou use it for?

    Water cannon = water extinguisher. Just laymans terms.
    I've used them to put out small class A fires and to squirt people at the station with...LOL

    Dave1983,
    Honest, i've never heard of putting soap in a 2.5 Gal. water. Our station puts AFFF in with the water. We have more foam than we'd use in 15 years so we're really not wasting it.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Please give me advice (what do I do)
    By pengman in forum The Off Duty Forums
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 06-30-2005, 02:58 PM
  2. Clearwater Florida, Report of Fatal Condo Fire Released
    By captstanm1 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 05-25-2005, 01:10 AM
  3. Is There A Meth Lab In Your Neighborhood? and so on
    By eleanorcaddell in forum Hazardous Materials General Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-21-2004, 11:48 PM
  4. Chicago Fire Department seeks a way to soup up water
    By HeavyRescueTech in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-20-2004, 02:36 PM
  5. Water Pressure Problems
    By LRFireE135 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 03-18-2004, 12:29 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register