Forum Member

Default P.M. Shift change!?

I think I work for one of the only departments in the world that does this...We change shifts @ 1900 hrs.
    We've done this forever...Long before I came here some 15+ years ago.

Are there any others out there that have a screwy change time for a 24/48 (53 hrs/wk) schedule, or are we it?

There are a few, with the emphasis on "few", advantages. But the disadvantages are many. Most of us relieve at 1800 hrs as a courtesy, but 1900 is the official time.

I hate not having 2 full days off. Yes, it is still 48 hrs, but not nearly as much usable time as an A.M. shift change would provide.

There has been much talk of going to A.M., but so far it's still just talk.

What say you all?

Kevin
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fireman4949
    I think I work for one of the only departments in the world that does this...We change shifts @ 1900 hrs.
    We've done this forever...Long before I came here some 15+ years ago.

Are there any others out there that have a screwy change time for a 24/48 (53 hrs/wk) schedule, or are we it?

There are a few, with the emphasis on "few", advantages. But the disadvantages are many. Most of us relieve at 1800 hrs as a courtesy, but 1900 is the official time.

I hate not having 2 full days off. Yes, it is still 48 hrs, but not nearly as much usable time as an A.M. shift change would provide.

There has been much talk of going to A.M., but so far it's still just talk.

What say you all?

Kevin
    That is a very weird set up Here the FF's are relieved at 0800. 24/36 I believe.
    Warm Regards,
    Shawn Stoner
    EMT-B

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SSTONER
    That is a very weird set up Here the FF's are relieved at 0800. 24/36 I believe.
    24/36?

Can you elaborate on that schedule?

Kevin
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    "Fir na tine"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fireman4949
    24/36?

Can you elaborate on that schedule?

Kevin
    I miss spoke - one week they work 24 every other day for 3 days with 4 off -
    Then the next week 24 every other day for 4 days with 3 off.

Ya...I think thats right!

I just fill in every once in awhile on the box so I had to think about it.
    Warm Regards,
    Shawn Stoner
    EMT-B

Forum Member

Around here most of the departments change shifts in the late afternoon. We change shifts officially at 5 PM (unofficially 4:30) and the 2 city departments in our area change shifts at 3 PM. I believe this is pretty common in our neck of the woods (or da' swamp).

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Wow!

Okay, first off I know FDNY has their two tours: 0900 to 1800 and 1800 to 0900 (referred to as the 9 x 6 and 6 x 9 tours).

Most every department I know (except mine which I'll cover in a second) usually have a turnover around 0700 - 0900. I've seen as early as 0600 for one department too!

I am part of a combination department that has a paid staff rotating through on eight hour shifts from 0600 - 1900 (M-F). All other times including the whole weekend is staffed by volunteers. Having shift turnover at 1900 (M-F) and 0830 (weekend dayshift) and then 1700 (weekend nightshift). Somehow it works.

I can't imagine turning over in the early evening except it were a shiftwork type rotation like a graveyard shift.

Personally I hope you do change (if that's what you all want) and get your day back.

bam

MembersZone Subscriber
    The southern shore of beautiful Lake Michigan

Default 0700

We change at 0700

24/48

I would love to change in the pm

But I'm not really a morning person!!!! (what time do you have to be out of the rack?)

......And, I love the nightlife.
    FTM-PTB
    trk4

MembersZone Subscriber

We change at 0700. But years ago they changed at 1800 or 1600 cant remmber for sure.

MembersZone Subscriber

Until about eight years ago my department changed at 18:00. The only ones who liked the schedule were old-timers and alcoholics. We now change at 08:00 which makes the second job tough, but seems to suit most of the department better than the evening change.

The department I worked with before coming here changed at 06:00 which I LOVED (being a morning person) except that we worked 24/24 with one Kelly Day per month. That's makes for a lot of hours - I can't believe I actually did it as long as I did.
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

Forum Member

We change shifts at 08:00 and 20:00. Cushing Fire changes shifts at 18:00.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ullrichk
    Until about eight years ago my department changed at 18:00. The only ones who liked the schedule were old-timers and alcoholics. We now change at 08:00 which makes the second job tough, but seems to suit most of the department better than the evening change.

The department I worked with before coming here changed at 06:00 which I LOVED (being a morning person) except that we worked 24/24 with one Kelly Day per month. That's makes for a lot of hours - I can't believe I actually did it as long as I did.
    I would absolutely LOVE an 0600 shift change, and I'm not even a morning person.

Maybe one day we'll get an A.M. change-out.

Kevin
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    "Fir na tine"

MembersZone Subscriber

I know of some in Texas that have a noon or 1300 change of tours.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFFRED
    I know of some in Texas that have a noon or 1300 change of tours.
    Here in the SAFD we officially shift change @ 12 noon. It's been that way for a long, long time. Time and time again the masses have asked to have it moved earlier, but it hasn't happened. I have heard that once it was asked, and the Chief said only if it's @ 7:00 am and people complained that it was a bit too early.

I've always heard that the old timers don't want to change it. That and the drinkers as well.

Even though shift change is @oon, each station is allowed to set the time they want as long as all agree. Ours is @ 11:00 am. We tried 9:00am for a few shifts, but a couple of guys on one shift cried about it so it went back to 11. The two paid FD's I worked for before here changed @ 7:00am and I think it's better as far as getting more "quality" time off. By the time I get home, shower and eat etc, it's already getting into the early afternoon... add time to drag out tools etc if I have a project going on.. then work a little while, put it all back up because now it's getting dark .. it's a pain. I feel like I get 1.5 days off. I stopped trying to get things done before I go in at 11, so that moring is just wasted, unless it's just a small errand or something like that.

The norm for our area is 7:00 am. Even our EMS division changes @ 7 am w/ a 24/72.
    http://www.sanantoniofire.org

IACOJ
    Got Crust?

We lucky few, ... we band of brothers

MembersZone Subscriber

We change at 06:30

Thread Information