MembersZone Subscriber

Default When you transfer

I have a question that I myself have mixed feelings with:

Say you move to another department and you have expierence. Just a couple of years and your a paramedic and you work with a bunch of EMT's. When it comes to fire scenes, I would understand them being in control.

But when it comes to EMS scenes, thats when my question comes into aspect. My opinon is this: Your a higher level of care, they should help you in pt care. Some people say the medic should do what he is told. If he tries to do pt care and steps in, he can get a bad rep. Just trying to get other's opinons

Forum Member

What level of EMS is your agency certified to practice at?

You may have your paramedic rating, but you cannot use your skills beyond your agency's ems level.

Some firefighter/medics transfer to a new FD and try to "overimpress" the crew they are working with knowledge, or worse, treat them like they know jack and talk down to them.

My advice...if you're new to a department...

Listen to your company officers and fellow firefighters, get a feel for the operation, then adapt to fit in.
    Last edited by CaptainGonzo; 12-26-2005 at 10:02 PM.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

There is sometimes a balance with being the "newguy/girl" even when you have some experience. There should never be a question, though, when it comes to patient care. Ultimately, as the highest-trained provider YOUR license/certification is on the line, IF YOU ARE OPERATING AS A PARAMEDIC. You are in charge. Check with you own state rules and laws, etc. I have yet to see any state that says a EMT-B is in charge over a Paramedic. By the way, this is not a knock on EMT-B's. You have to have good BLS before ALS! Honestly though, ALL THINGS BEING EQUAL, higher level of training always wins out.

Now, if your service operates at an emt-basic level only, check with state rules and regulations. My guess is you can only operate to the level of your service's level. Regardless, don't be cocky, figure out what is going on and listen.
    Last edited by drezqmn; 12-26-2005 at 10:05 PM.

Forum Member

I have never seen an argument here over who gets to deal with the pt. on an EMS run. If you want to do it, I seriously doubt you will get an argument from any firemen here. We have 4 EMT-B's and one medic as FF on our engine (none of us are registered with the city as EMT-B or P though) and out of the five of us the medic likes doing medical stuff the least! lol. Believe me, here anyway, if you want to deal with 'em, we will be more than happy to let you.
    Last edited by ChicagoFF; 12-26-2005 at 10:08 PM. Reason: syntax

Forum Member

Chicago,

Same here in Philly.

MembersZone Subscriber

Regardless of whether your city allows you to practice as a paramedic or not, you are still new to the department. Use your skills and teach some of the other guys new things, but keep in mind you are new and need to earn their respect. Step back and learn their operations and get to know the guys. Don't be arrogant and cocky. I wouldn't go in there with an attitude you are above everyone and you run the scene because you're the highest trained guy...you'll be quickly disliked for sure. You don't get a second chance to make a first impression.

MembersZone Subscriber

I have a question Chicago. I am thinking of taking the test in March and some cities down around where I'm at make you take their EMT-B class even though you may already be a medic. Is that the case in Chicago?

And some cities also require you to work for them a year before you can use your medic skills. Anything like that in Chicago?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JHR1985
    I have a question Chicago. I am thinking of taking the test in March and some cities down around where I'm at make you take their EMT-B class even though you may already be a medic. Is that the case in Chicago?
    There have been some changes at the academy since I went through, but when I was there, you had to sit through the emt classes whether you were a medic or not. Of course you didn't have to take the test.

And some cities also require you to work for them a year before you can use your medic skills. Anything like that in Chicago?
    Not a bit. If you are a medic and you get assigned to an ALS engine, you will be the medic for that engine from day one. No warm up, no break in, just get to work. You also don't have to tell them you are a medic if you don't want to. Then they will just run you as an emt-b. I would try to get your license in IL though, because they have 12 BLS ambo's here staffed by FF. If you are an EMT-B you will be stuck riding on them every now and then. As a medic you will stay on your engine or truck. You also get an extra 6% for being a medic.

Forum Member

Chicago sounds very similar to Philly, except we dont have medics on the engine or ladder, only EMTs. 4 basics with more to come so most FF have to rotate thru the sh1t box for a tour. Medics in Philly make 10% more than FF. But for that 10%, be prepared to work a unit making 8000 runs a year since thats about our average for medic units.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by PFDTruck18
    Chicago sounds very similar to Philly, except we dont have medics on the engine or ladder, only EMTs. 4 basics with more to come so most FF have to rotate thru the sh1t box for a tour. Medics in Philly make 10% more than FF. But for that 10%, be prepared to work a unit making 8000 runs a year since thats about our average for medic units.
    Are you able to drop your EMT? Many here drop their licenses to get away from the BLS ambo's. Sorry to hear you are getting more of them.

Forum Member

Default Yes and No

Back in 99 we got rid of the basic units and all ambulances were staffed with 2 paramedics. Our system has degraded to a point that it no longer attracts new medics combined with an overall medic shortage forced the city to return 4 units to their previous status as basic. Its rumored that the city is planning on increasing this number to atleast 8. Back in 99 when the basics were removed our former commish allowed members with a certain amout of time (20 years I think) to remove themselves from the first responder program thus basically dropping their EMT status. Alot did, some didnt because of quotas (all companies operate as a first responder and must have atleast 1 EMT on the piece) some guys didnt want to drop the EMT just to get transfered and be replaced by some guy who was an EMT. Some didnt care because there were no more basics and paid it no mind. With the return of basic units, many are now second guessing their decision. Its rumored that guys with time wont have to jump into the rotation because there is more than enough guys to fill the spots for a tour, city wide. Of course thats up to the Chief and how much of an ahole you are. Ive seen guys with 20+ years detailed over Christmas (gotta watch whose toes your stepping on ). So in a way, you can get out of the EMS business, but as with everything else in the fire service their is no garuntee.

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm a medic and I guess my ultimate goal is IF, if being if I actually try out and get hired, would be to ride an ALS engine in Chicago. I talked to one of the guys up there in March and he said that the FD was down several hundred firefighters and that there was a medic shortage. Anyone know if that is still the case?

Forum Member

Question Pfd

I thought you were from Wisconsin.

Forum Member

Wisconsin, wheres that?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Wisconsin

Wisconsin is where that losing team the Packers are from....

"Harry" from the Frozen Tundra

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by swfire42
    I thought you were from Wisconsin.
    That's another PFD (pfd4life)

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Allouez34
    Wisconsin is where that losing team the Packers are from....

"Harry" from the Frozen Tundra
    Oh yes, I have heard talk of this land. Experts in packing fudge, or is that cheese?

Thread Information