Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Coincidence?

Forum Member

Default Coincidence?

What a coincidence that Patterson, NJ ($6.4 million SAFER Grant) is in the district represented by Rep. Bill Pascrell, Jr., author of the original FIRE Act.

Forum Member

As one of our former fire chiefs used to say,
    "Boy, politics is a dirty bidness"

Quote Originally Posted by bhumphreys
    What a coincidence that Patterson, NJ ($6.4 million SAFER Grant) is in the district represented by Rep. Bill Pascrell, Jr., author of the original FIRE Act.
    Without getting cranky, let me respond to your statement......YES, it IS a coincidence.

We've been down this dead horse trail before....

FH Mag/.com Contributor

As things go, it could just be that they applied for a complete solution to their problem, like many others didn't.

I know of several situations that their app probably help more merit than some others.

- For departments asking for 1 FF, did you explain that you have trouble getting any? If the minimum staffing is 4, and you have trouble getting 1, how is only 1 paid FF going to help you meeting staffing requirements?
    - For departments stating that the local checkbook holders would be willing to paid for additional FFs above the ones applied for, at what point would that make sense from the PG's standpoint? If the local entity can afford to hire 3 if your app for 3 gets approved, why haven't they been hired yet? You can't imply that they'll only be hired if the project is awarded because that screams that you don't really want to solve the problem at hand. Hire the people and THEN apply for the ones you can't afford. That's the purpose of the grant program.

As amery mentioned, we've heard the coincidence story in various forms since 2001. The big one was that PA was getting more awards because that's where Tom Ridge was from. Law of averages, PA has the most FDs period, has the most FDs that apply, PA will most likely get the highest percentage of awards.

Now I understand that my above two statements are easily dismissed with the point that most can't afford to ask for 3-4 FFs like they really need. Some may not like the answer, but it's the same as my answer to those creating partial solutions for any grant program: if you admittedly can't afford to create a complete and proper solution, then don't apply. There are too many applications asking for too little money to even begin to think that incomplete solutions will get funded. For instance, if you need 25 sets of PPE and think you have to get 6 more SCBA, but can only afford to apply for 10 sets of PPE with the 6 SCBA, drop the SCBA. End of story. If you don't, you'll be doing it the next year too. If you do not design proper projects, it is very easy to see in the narrative portion of the application.

As I've mentioned in the articles, here in the forums, and at all seminars: if you properly define your problem internally, your project design will almost handle itself, and your narrative will also write itself for you. Proper process yields desired results.

One final word: ASSESSMENT!

Good luck, Happy Holidays and if I suddenly disappear without a trace, we're at the hospital, due date is Jan 2nd. Just leave your name. number, and a brief message after the beep and we'll get back to you as soon as we can.

- Brian

Forum Member

Thanks for reaffirming my statement.

I'll be careful to keep my observations to myself from now on.

MembersZone Subscriber

Smile Whoa there, cowboy!

Dear bhumphreys;
    No one here wants you to feel that you, or anyone else for that matter, should have to keep their opinions to themselves. Not in the good ole U. S. of A., and least of all here in these forums. What we would all like to keep out of here, however, are sly inuendos, aspersions cast upon good mens' characters, rumor mongering, invective and diatribe, and political bear-baiting.

BC79er gave you -and all the rest of us on this thread- great pearls of wisdom, insight, and knowledge as to how best interpret the facts of the Patterson NJ phenomenon for both our collective understanding and our collective mutual benefit/gain. You have obviously chosen to trample them underfoot, instead. So be it; the loss is yours alone.

Forum Member

Well put. Well taken. My apologies.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Definitely don't want to hold anything in around here. Especially not about this topic, I'm sure you realize that everyone and their immediate family was talking about this one. So you didn't say anything that everyone else had been thinking.

Of course the thing to notice is that there were two press releases on the subject. The first one with Rep Pascrell stating that he lobbied for the grant to be awarded, and also the Chief saying that they'd be able to put up a new engine company with the new FFs. That one disappeared and was replaced with the current one, because of course, as much as he'd like to take credit for it, the good Congressman couldn't have lobbied for the award since it's illegal, and the hirees can only be brought on under the guise of staffing to NFPA compliance, not staffing a 2nd unit out of a station in the manner that was described. I'm sure it was just elation on both of their parts that got the better of them. Either that or creative license on the part of the reporter. Not that that's ever happened before...

Either way, as Matt said, this is the USA, so short of libel and slander no one should ever hold back what they want to say.

Agreed.....you should feel free to say what you want...I really didn't want to sound cranky.... It's just that occasionaly somebody with sour grapes or an axe to grind will try and question the integrity of the program and I have tended to get somewhat thin skinned about it....

Didn't mean to bite your head off

Thread Information