1. #1
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    22

    Default City of Chicago Firefighter Hiring list thrown out.

    City upsets firefighter applicants
    Age restriction bars many from new test

    By Gary Washburn
    Chicago Tribune staff reporter
    Published December 26, 2005

    After he passed the last employment exam given by the Chicago Fire Department in 1995, Marc Fisher waited patiently for the call to report for training.

    But the notification never came. And now, it never will.

    The department is throwing out the hiring list and giving its first test in more than a decade next spring.

    Fisher would be happy to compete for a spot again. But at age 38, he has been told he is too old to qualify.

    "I am really disappointed and angry," he said. "It is really appalling. ... If I was a buddy of some alderman, I'm sure I could have figured out a way of getting on."

    "I really am upset," said Angel Morales, 37, another candidate whose dream to be a firefighter has disappeared with the city's adoption of a cutoff age of 35. "You do everything you can to live according to what society wants you to do. You pay your taxes. You don't get into trouble. And something like this comes along. It's not fair."

    Fisher and Morales have a lot of company. About 17,000 men and women out of 20,000 who passed the '95 test have not been called. Many are now older than 35.

    The City Council in 2000 approved an ordinance requiring firefighters and police officers to retire at age 63, taking advantage of a law that applies to municipal public safety employees passed several years before by Congress, after earlier court rulings that had banned such age limits.

    The same ordinance also established age maximums for hiring. The council set an age limit of 40 for the Police Department. But for the Fire Department, which historically has had a much easier time attracting an adequate number of qualified recruits, it made the cutoff 35.

    The 2006 exam will be the first in which the new standard will be applied.

    Firefighter jobs are highly coveted. Starting salary is about $40,000 a year, with a raise after six months, and pension and medical benefits are considered excellent. Because firefighters, by contract, work a schedule of 24 hours on duty, 48 hours off, many are able to supplement their incomes by working second jobs.

    Turnover in the department is limited because so many firefighters work full careers through to retirement.

    But physical demands are only one of the reasons the city set the age limit for new hires. Officials also wanted to ensure longevity on the job after investing in candidate training, and they believed older candidates tend to be more set in their ways than younger ones.

    Now Morales is thinking about taking the test to become a Chicago police officer.

    But Fisher is not willing to give up his dream quite so easily. His sister, who lives in Atlanta, has told him that the Georgia city does not have a hiring-age maximum for firefighters. And he is going to check it out.

    "I would love to stay in Chicago because I was born and raised here," he said. "But if I have to leave because someone will give me a chance to do what I want to do, I will [take] it."

  2. #2
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Golzy12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    476

    Default

    So the guys In this article have only tested for one department in ten years?
    Thats what the article made it sound like, and now they are mad because they wasted ten years wiating for one list, They could have been on a fire department a long time ago if they were testing at every department that was hiring in the midwest, instead of complaining they could have been more proactive. Just my spin on it.

  3. #3
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Here, There, Everywhere
    Posts
    4,191

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Golzy12
    So the guys In this article have only tested for one department in ten years?
    Thats what the article made it sound like, and now they are mad because they wasted ten years wiating for one list, They could have been on a fire department a long time ago if they were testing at every department that was hiring in the midwest, instead of complaining they could have been more proactive. Just my spin on it.
    As I read it, it would seem and as I would imagine these men are from Chicago. They want to work for the fire department in their city. They are in all likelyhood very attached to their neighborhood and city. The city draggs it's feet for 10 years and apparently didn't have hard and fast rules to how lists should be promulgated and how hiring shall be conducted. (In NY we know a list is used for approx 4 years and you might die on the list. There are set age limits on the notice of examination however, they aren't changed midstream as they have apparently done in Chicago.)

    There are many paralels between this and any large city, New York, Boston, Baltimore...etc. The guys grow up and spend their entire lives there sometimes within mere blocks in ethnic neighborhoods. They don't want to be firemen in Boise, Des Moines, Columbus or wherever, where they would have little in common with the locals including a hard time in many cases just finding their cultural foods. You know any good Puetro Rican, Crotation, Polish, Irish or Greek neighborhoods in Des Moines?

    They didn't grow up as vollies, and attain some Bull Sh*t FFII cert with their paramedic licence at the local Community college. Many grow up and have little exposure to the fire service outside of their city. I can attest to this as I work with many guys who know NOTHING outside of the FDNY.

    I think you are comparing apples to oranges in terms of firefighting job opportunties for many out there and those who live in the larger cities where a firemans exam has the same entrance requriements and is listed right next to Sanitation, Corrections, Police and Transit workers. It is an fair opportunity for anyone regarless of background to get a civil service job.

    It is one thing to come (for example) from a city of 23,000 where oportunities for firemens jobs is limited to non-existant and another to come from a city with the 2nd largest FD and Civil Service opportunties abound for all residents to take. These guys apparently have loyalty to their city and community...there is nothing wrong with that.

    I think if you look at the recent history of the CFD you will see the city and their brass haven't always managed the Dept appropriately.

    FTM-PTB

  4. #4
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Golzy12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    476

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FFFRED
    As I read it, it would seem and as I would imagine these men are from Chicago. They want to work for the fire department in their city. They are in all likelyhood very attached to their neighborhood and city.

    FTM-PTB
    Yea I'm sure they are attracted to their city but the one said he was going to be looking at Georgia city, because the department doesn't have an age limit, that tells me that he is willing to relocate, for a firefighting job, if he was willing to relocate he should have been testing for other departments besides Chicago. I have been keeping up on whats going ton down in chicago, I know about the controversy,and I will be testing down there in the spring.

    As far as I'm concerned I think this article is kind of pointless, all I got out of it is that the list is going to expire, and some poeple are mad at the city even though they dont have a valid reason to be, they should be mad at themselves for not working harder to get in to the fire service.

  5. #5
    MembersZone Subscriber
    JHR1985's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    DFW
    Posts
    1,917

    Default

    I dont feel sorry but this guy one bit. Anyone who looks into the fire service the least bit knows that most departments have the cut off at 35. Plus, who sits around and waits ten years for a job. I read the thread about people who have lived in a certain area their whole life and never been elsewhere blah blah blah. When I went looking, I tried out at a bunch of places I'd never been before, some couple hours away.
    And, if you get a sucky score... what is their to complain about?

  6. #6
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Here, There, Everywhere
    Posts
    4,191

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JHR1985
    I dont feel sorry but this guy one bit. Anyone who looks into the fire service the least bit knows that most departments have the cut off at 35. Plus, who sits around and waits ten years for a job. I read the thread about people who have lived in a certain area their whole life and never been elsewhere blah blah blah. When I went looking, I tried out at a bunch of places I'd never been before, some couple hours away.
    And, if you get a sucky score... what is their to complain about?
    I don't think you read the article correctly. The CFD established this age cut off 10 years after the last list was formed and promulgated. There was NO AGE limit prior to this. As for most depts having 35 as a cut off....mine has 29 on the date of the exam...others have none...I've never heard of 35 as a cut off and seeing as they mention setting a age cut off of 40 for cops and 35 for firemen because they don't have the recruiting issue...seems a bit arbitrary to me. I would imagine a court will throw this out if they don't base their age limit the same as cops or find a good reason (pension calculations) to use 35yrs.

    These guys up until know would be eligible for the next exam as they were for the last one. Considering past cases such as this...I imagine that this is part of a soon to be lawsuit.

    These guys were on a list that was being used to hire firemen since 1995! There was no termination date so that is why they still remained on the list. As I've said I have no idea what these guys stories are but in many cities the civil service system hires anyone who passes a simple comphrehension test and physical. They don't have the resources or time to vollie part time, get some medic licence and FFIII or whatever from Upperstrawbottom Comm. College. This evens the playing field for all persons interested in employment from the city...no patronage to sons of chiefs, no preferences to certain friends or family...everyone has a even shot.

    This isn't about traveling all over the country looking for a firemans job...this is about residents who feel cheated out of city employment by them changing the rules after the list and setting what I imagine their lawyers will claim are arbitrary age limits.

    FTM-PTB

  7. #7
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    82

    Default

    1. All newspaper articles in chicago are pointless. They pick a direction they want to go and then pick some mope who will say something ignorant to support the article.
    2. They are not "throwing out a list", but simply offering a new test. Yes the first in ten years.
    3. The age cutoff for the new test is 35. It has nothing to due with the current list, the one these whiners are on, as there are several people in the academy now over 35.
    4. There are no "ethnic neighborhoods in chicago anymore, just white,black,and hispanic neighborhoods.
    5. FFFRed you make a good point. Large cities offer civil service tests designed in the past to give residents of that city a decent paying job, with no prior training. Most smaller departments don't have the financial luxury to do this.
    6. Chicago has 2.8 million residents. The Chicagoland area has about 6 million with another approx 75 full time departments within an hour of the city that these guys could have tested for.

  8. #8
    Temporarily/No Longer Active

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    76

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FFSmitty1
    4. There are no "ethnic neighborhoods in chicago anymore, just white,black,and hispanic neighborhoods.

    HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA.....that's a good one...

  9. #9
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    27

    Default the kool-aid is served...

    a candidate gets screwed by the city and some of you guys think he's out of line for resenting having the rules changed in the middle of the game? you all must be some great union firemen alright! or is that FFII-EMT-P firepersons?

  10. #10
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    465

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FFFRED
    As for most depts having 35 as a cut off....mine has 29 on the date of the exam...others have none...I've never heard of 35 as a cut off...
    Ohio law puts a max age limit on paid FF at 31. Once you turn 31, you can't even test.

    Quote Originally Posted by FFFRED
    These guys were on a list that was being used to hire firemen since 1995!
    And why? A 10 year list seems really odd to me. Almost all of the civil tests that I have either taken or enquired about in my area (big city, little city, townships, whatever) only have a list that is good for 1-2 years. Why on earth would Chicago want to hire from a 10 year old list. Doesn't even make sense.

    Quote Originally Posted by FFFRED
    As I've said I have no idea what these guys stories are but in many cities the civil service system hires anyone who passes a simple comphrehension test and physical.
    Can you tell me where I can get that easy job? Even small cities only have so many positions and many more applicants. The neighboring city to me is roughly 40k people. The last test they had 170 people take the test with maybe a max of 5 positions available over the 2 year eligible list. I guess I don't know what your point is.

    Quote Originally Posted by FFFRED
    They don't have the resources or time to vollie part time, get some medic licence and FFIII or whatever from Upperstrawbottom Comm. College.
    Quote Originally Posted by FFFRED
    They didn't grow up as vollies, and attain some Bull Sh*t FFII cert with their paramedic licence at the local Community college.
    So did you purposely bash many of the readers of this site? Is there something wrong with a person wanting a FF job to get the necessary training to give himself an edge over the competition. Oh that's right, all I have to do is pass the simple test and physical.

    Now my take on it...

    Is it too bad that these folks won't get the chance? Sure it is? Is it necessarily Chicago's fault. Nope.

    For one, a 10 year list is just plain dumb and why would anyone not expect a new test to come out.

    Second, where did they rank on the test? 18,000 people passed the test an were on the list. Does Chicago hire 18,000 in 10 years? I think not. These guys act like they were guaranteed a job. Don't they do interviews?

    Third, what about all the people who passed the age limit while there was a stale test sitting out there. Let's say I was 27 when I decided I wanted to be a Chicago FF. But the test was given last year. No worries, I'll take the next one. Ooooops. It isn't offered for 10 more years, now I am 37. This person should be just as upset as the one who took the test. What is the compensation for that guy. Another lawsuit?

    Few questions I would like answered:

    1. Why were these people not hired by Chicago? Too low on list? Didn't pass interview or physical? Chicago didn't hire FFs for 10 years?

    2. Why is there a 10 year list?

    3. How many were hired from the 10 year list?

  11. #11
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Annapolis, MD
    Posts
    28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by notabuff
    a candidate gets screwed by the city and some of you guys think he's out of line for resenting having the rules changed in the middle of the game? you all must be some great union firemen alright! or is that FFII-EMT-P firepersons?
    They did not change the rules in the middle of the game. When the test was given in '95, there was no max age. Now that they're offering a new test 11 years later, they have decided to put an age limit on it. New test, new rules. That's the way it works in every city. Do you think you always had to have college credit to get on the FDNY? No. New test, new rules. It would be one thing if they had been too young to take the test in '95 but too old to take it in '06. That would be unfair. But these guys had their shot and didn't score high enough.
    As for why they don't offer tests more often, Jesse Jackson's Rainbow Coalition threatens to sue (and went through with it last year) every time the city says they're going to give a new test because they say not enough minorities have been hired and that the test was biased.

  12. #12
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    465

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dooley
    As for why they don't offer tests more often, Jesse Jackson's Rainbow Coalition threatens to sue (and went through with it last year) every time the city says they're going to give a new test because they say not enough minorities have been hired and that the test was biased.
    That figures. So what he is saying is that they have to use the test long enough to get minorities hired? Does he not see the irony in that?

  13. #13
    MembersZone Subscriber
    JHR1985's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    DFW
    Posts
    1,917

    Default

    They didn't grow up as vollies, and attain some Bull Sh*t FFII cert with their paramedic licence at the local Community college.
    What you saying? Are you saying that all firefighters must first be a volunteer firefighter before they go to a fire academy and paramedic school?

    News flash Mr Clueless. Number one, some people, such as the guy in the article, are not going to be anywhere close to a volunteer department. I myself am around 30 mins away from the nearest vollie department, or as its known, rednecks with hoses.

    Lets see, if you wanted to get a job as a plumber, but you and 17,999 applicants applied for the job, and it was 10 years later and you Hadnt been offered yet, I would think bells would go off in your head. But, thats the problem with this guy. He is a dumbarse, didnt score good enough, and now he is complaining. The Union has no need fighting for this guy. Why would they want someone who is nearly 40 coming in as a rookie?

  14. #14
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Here, There, Everywhere
    Posts
    4,191

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WebFire
    Ohio law puts a max age limit on paid FF at 31. Once you turn 31, you can't even test.
    My point was that the age limit set by Chicago was arbitrary in that the PD had theirs set at 40 and that was because of recruitment problems. Accoring to all reports they just chose 35. There are only a few select reasons a city can set age limits...otherwise they are practicing age discrimination. I won't be surprised if there is a suit and the age limit gets thrown out.

    Can you tell me where I can get that easy job? Even small cities only have so many positions and many more applicants. The neighboring city to me is roughly 40k people. The last test they had 170 people take the test with maybe a max of 5 positions available over the 2 year eligible list. I guess I don't know what your point is.
    MY job thats where. Its called merit and fitness for the job. Just because someone has the ability to gain expereince or education due to family ties, wealth or connections doesn't mean they are the best for the job. MY job for one is the MOST unbiased test around. The written, measures simple comprehension, reading, memory, math and similar subjects all at a 12 th grade level. The phyiscal is the CPAT and although it is way too easy it is much tougher than the CPAT used by most of the country.

    You are scored and ranked and hired in order of your list number based on the above scores alone. Who you know...or having a father as a chief or politican will get you nowhere. It gives everyone the same chance not who has some BS FF1 certificate, or is a volly Lt. somewhere, or someone who has pop time.

    So did you purposely bash many of the readers of this site? Is there something wrong with a person wanting a FF job to get the necessary training to give himself an edge over the competition. Oh that's right, all I have to do is pass the simple test and physical.
    Yep that is it. And accoring to the 1000s who don't pass it isn't simple...hell I've seen some physically fit guys fail it. I personally believe that the abilities need to be there and the dept should mold and teach the probies once they get hired to be the firemen they want them to be...not the one that that IFSTA wants them to be. No silly interview as if this were a job at Bear Stearns

    Now my take on it...

    Is it too bad that these folks won't get the chance? Sure it is? Is it necessarily Chicago's fault. Nope.

    For one, a 10 year list is just plain dumb and why would anyone not expect a new test to come out.

    Second, where did they rank on the test? 18,000 people passed the test an were on the list. Does Chicago hire 18,000 in 10 years? I think not. These guys act like they were guaranteed a job. Don't they do interviews?

    Third, what about all the people who passed the age limit while there was a stale test sitting out there. Let's say I was 27 when I decided I wanted to be a Chicago FF. But the test was given last year. No worries, I'll take the next one. Ooooops. It isn't offered for 10 more years, now I am 37. This person should be just as upset as the one who took the test. What is the compensation for that guy. Another lawsuit?

    Few questions I would like answered:

    1. Why were these people not hired by Chicago? Too low on list? Didn't pass interview or physical? Chicago didn't hire FFs for 10 years?

    2. Why is there a 10 year list?

    3. How many were hired from the 10 year list?
    I'm not saying they deserved the job I'm saying that the city appears to have set arbirtrary age limits based on nothing more than what they feel is the appropriate age limit. Now I don't necessarily agree however that is not what the law in this country allows and we must live by it. Thats my take on this.

    FTM-PTB

  15. #15
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Here, There, Everywhere
    Posts
    4,191

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JHR1985
    What you saying? Are you saying that all firefighters must first be a volunteer firefighter before they go to a fire academy and paramedic school?

    News flash Mr Clueless. Number one, some people, such as the guy in the article, are not going to be anywhere close to a volunteer department. I myself am around 30 mins away from the nearest vollie department, or as its known, rednecks with hoses.

    Lets see, if you wanted to get a job as a plumber, but you and 17,999 applicants applied for the job, and it was 10 years later and you Hadnt been offered yet, I would think bells would go off in your head. But, thats the problem with this guy. He is a dumbarse, didnt score good enough, and now he is complaining. The Union has no need fighting for this guy. Why would they want someone who is nearly 40 coming in as a rookie?
    Hey guy thats what I'm arguing that not everyone can attain and get experience and this is what leads to accusations of discrimination in FDs. We are arguing for the same thing.

    FTM-PTB

  16. #16
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    465

    Default

    In ANY job application process, experience is going to be a good thing and give you a competitive advantage. Why should being a FF be any different?

    I do agree that relation and who you know shouldn't matter.

  17. #17
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    465

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FFFRED
    MY job thats where. Its called merit and fitness for the job. Just because someone has the ability to gain expereince or education due to family ties, wealth or connections doesn't mean they are the best for the job. MY job for one is the MOST unbiased test around. The written, measures simple comprehension, reading, memory, math and similar subjects all at a 12 th grade level.
    So passing a high school proficiency makes you the best for the job? Sure, who cares about education and experience in a job interview. Give me a break.

  18. #18
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Here, There, Everywhere
    Posts
    4,191

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WebFire
    So passing a high school proficiency makes you the best for the job? Sure, who cares about education and experience in a job interview. Give me a break.
    I'll give you a break. My job is looking for firemen...not accountants, secretaries or salesmen. This job involves back breaking labor under difficult conditons that require certain basic competancies such as memory (How many floors was this building I'm walking up in and what window had the fire blowing out of it, or what appartment was listed on the ticket as having persons trapped) and reading comprehension and simple mechanical appitude. It also requires excellent physical fittness. Unfortuneately due to some liberal judges the Physical has been watered down for years because women couldn't pass it. However as I stated it is a simple job based test that we've at least made more difficult than the standard CPAT.

    My job as I said should be a model for the fire service as it has NO bias whatsoever. There is NO interview as that is subjective and subject to abuse and preferential treatment or the appearance of such. No experience is neccessary...as I said each dept should look to mold and train their people to their standards not some BS IFSTA nonsense that really doesn't measure much other than ones ability to roll hose in three different rolls and identify a halligan on a picture diagram.

    Merit and fitness is a recognized method of hiring under a civil service system and doesn't involve any prior experience. Prior experience could be (and has)construed as using family connections to keep certain persons or groups out of certain job titles. Just because your connections got you a spot in some volly dept doesn't mean you have any experience that is relevant to the FD you are trying to get hired by.

    I don't know too many firemen who don't feel they would have been better prepared for the job by working a few years in the Trades (Ironworker, carpenter, electrican, plumber etc.) Than they were taking some bull sh*t history course at the local Comm. College.

    FTM-PTB
    Last edited by FFFRED; 01-06-2006 at 01:35 PM.

  19. #19
    Forum Member
    Bones42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Pt. Beach, NJ
    Posts
    10,689

    Default

    Hey, MoronHorse is certified FFII. Wouldn't that serve as a good example of not relying on previous experience?
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

  20. #20
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    465

    Default

    You've really lost me. I can't decide if you want fireman, or someone who can just pass a 12th grade proficiency.

    Quote Originally Posted by FFFRED
    My job is looking for firemen...not accountants, secretaries or salesmen.
    So tell me again why someone with firefighter experience wouldn't be preferred?

    Quote Originally Posted by FFFRED
    There is NO interview as that is subjective and subject to abuse and preferential treatment or the appearance of such.
    I understand your point. However, where I disagree is that passing a "simple" test should not be sufficient to get the job. Just because you can spell and do a math problem or two does NOT make you a good employee. The best way to judge a person's character and employability is a face-to-face interview.

    Quote Originally Posted by FFFRED
    Prior experience could be (and has)construed as using family connections to keep certain persons or groups out of certain job titles.
    Really. I have NO family anywhere that has ever been a fireman. So rather than get education and experience to make myself better and have a better chance at the job, I should just take a simple test and get the job?

    Quote Originally Posted by FFFRED
    Just because your connections got you a spot in some volly dept doesn't mean you have any experience that is relevant to the FD you are trying to get hired by.
    Again, I had no connections. So your point is meaningless to me. Besides, even if a volly did get on the volly dept because of family, he still gained experience that certainly gives him an advantage over one who had none?

    Quote Originally Posted by FFFRED
    I don't know too many firemen who don't feel they would have been better prepared for the job by working a few years in the Trades (Ironworker, carpenter, electrican, plumber etc.) Than they were taking some bull sh*t history course at the local Comm. College.
    Again, you contradict. You don't want candidates to work at a volly house to gain "a few years in the trade" yet you say that "I don't know too many firemen who don't feel they would have been better prepared for the job by working a few years in the Trades..." Which is it?

    This really is off topic anyhow. The topic was about age and an eligibility list. To be honest, I don't completely disagree with you. Anyone should be able to apply and take the test, regardless of experience or certs. However, since I disagree about the interview, then obviously I disagree with you about experience. All things equal, a candidate with experience and FFII has an edge over someone who doesn't. Just like any other profession.

  21. #21
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    2

    Default

    Although I agree with much of what you have to say Web you are miss informed. Ohio has "no" such law governing the age of new career FF's. My full-time department just hired someone at 34 years of age. They do have stipulations on how old an active FF may be, but this applies mostly to volunteer departments.

  22. #22
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Here, There, Everywhere
    Posts
    4,191

    Default

    First I agree this is somewhat off topic however it is where the discussion took us and is related and I hope you will understand what I am advocating here.

    Quote Originally Posted by WebFire
    You've really lost me. I can't decide if you want fireman, or someone who can just pass a 12th grade proficiency.

    So tell me again why someone with firefighter experience wouldn't be preferred?
    It isn't necessary and it should play no part in a civil service hiriing process. This is the only way to fairly hire everyone without any perception of preferential treatment or cronism. You pass the test, you are hired in order of your ranking.

    I understand your point. However, where I disagree is that passing a "simple" test should not be sufficient to get the job. Just because you can spell and do a math problem or two does NOT make you a good employee. The best way to judge a person's character and employability is a face-to-face interview.
    I've worked for two depts that hired using a method that was far from objective and they hired plenty of idiots, cowards and less than desirable employees. Just because a guy can sit there and BS some chief into thinking you are a great guy and have some silly FFII cert (I used to be an instructor at a Comm. College) doesn't mean you are a capable fireman and should be hired over someone who has no relevant experince. Many of the best firemen I know where hired with Zero experience or exposure to the fire service.

    Really. I have NO family anywhere that has ever been a fireman. So rather than get education and experience to make myself better and have a better chance at the job, I should just take a simple test and get the job?
    For some that is unatainable however you can't deny them employment if they meet the basic requirements. This is where the civil service system is supperior and eliminates any unfairness or preceived cronism or racisim...etc. You take the test...pass the test...have a good score...you are hired.

    Again, I had no connections. So your point is meaningless to me. Besides, even if a volly did get on the volly dept because of family, he still gained experience that certainly gives him an advantage over one who had none?
    If you are joining my department as most departments, you would be placed through the accademy just as the next guy. We would mold you and teach you to do things our way....not the way IFSTA says so or your volly dept says so...OUR way. Therefore your previous experince means nothing to me or us as you will start as a probie just as everone else. In fact it might be more difficult to teach a person with prior experience as they would have to be retaught not to do what they had previously done. So no there is no reason you should have any advantage over someone else. It should be proof enough that many of the clowns on this forum have all kinds of certs but aren't worth a damn as firemen.

    Again, you contradict. You don't want candidates to work at a volly house to gain "a few years in the trade" yet you say that "I don't know too many firemen who don't feel they would have been better prepared for the job by working a few years in the Trades..." Which is it?
    That was in regards to having lets say college hours which are required in many places over Trade expereince and if I had the choice of having a Volly or a guy that worked the same amount of time as an Ironworker or other similar trade...I'd take the tradesman...If you don't understand this then I can't explain it to you as we obviously work in different jobs.

    This really is off topic anyhow. The topic was about age and an eligibility list. To be honest, I don't completely disagree with you. Anyone should be able to apply and take the test, regardless of experience or certs. However, since I disagree about the interview, then obviously I disagree with you about experience. All things equal, a candidate with experience and FFII has an edge over someone who doesn't. Just like any other profession.
    My whole point about the age was that it appears to be subjective and arbitrary. The only exceptions to setting an age limit are for those that are in relation to pension calculations and these don't appear to be so. These guys would as it appears to have a reasonable case to take to a court in regards to these new age limits.

    FTM-PTB

  23. #23
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    82

    Default

    The state of Il police and fire commission law states that ff must be hired before the age of 35 and must retire by 65. Due to the size of Chicago it is exempt from these rules, however this is probably what the age limits are based on, not a flip of the coin. CFD has mandatory retirement at 63. Also if you require FF training or experience in Il you can't be an Equal opportunity employer. The reason for this is there is no way to make sure everyone has access to the training. In IL most academies require dept. sponsorship to attend. You can however require ems training. Emt is run through community college which obviously anybody can attend, and most paramedic schools are run thru hospitals with the exception of the program at Malcolm X city college so basically anybody can attend.

  24. #24
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Memphis, TN
    Posts
    384

    Default

    With Texas leading the way in most dangerous state for firefighting, I really don't think the "rednecks with hoses" comment is appropriate for you, and Texas is pretty much made up of rednecks entirely.

  25. #25
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    465

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chesterlandfire
    Although I agree with much of what you have to say Web you are miss informed. Ohio has "no" such law governing the age of new career FF's. My full-time department just hired someone at 34 years of age. They do have stipulations on how old an active FF may be, but this applies mostly to volunteer departments.
    Actually it is state law in Ohio that you cannot be hired after your 31st birthday. HOWEVER, there is also a stipulation that a local government can override this age limit, but it has to be in the bylaws or whatever legal documents they require.

    For instance, I believe Columbus has no set max age, and Wooster's is 35.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Firefighter exam results under fire
    By DrJobMD in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 04-11-2006, 09:47 AM
  2. World Of Fire Report: 03-17-05
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-20-2005, 11:29 AM
  3. Florida Fire Departments face loss of contract with County
    By captstanm1 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 59
    Last Post: 01-15-2004, 06:23 AM
  4. The Hazmat 101 List is getting better, and better, and better!
    By pcjr101 in forum Hazardous Materials General Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-29-2002, 11:33 AM
  5. A tribute to those lost and how firefighter familys recover
    By Alexa747 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-20-2001, 11:46 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register