Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Wireless Airbags?

Honda has installed some new safety feature on their 2006 Ridgeline. One new feature in an antenna built into the seat backrest that ensures the side airbag has a clear path to deploy. If something is blocking the signal such as somebody leaning against the door, the signal is interrupted and the antenna sends a signal to the airbag control module to turn off the side airbag.

The airbag control unit has also been moved from under the center console between the seats to a position under the left side instrument panel. This may have a huge effect on how we make relief cuts in the A-Post and how we lift or push the dash.

I will post some pics as soon as I can.

MembersZone Subscriber

Hello Todd!

Sounds very interessting, so interestting that I did some research, also I think such systems will not really influence our rescue techniques or will change our airbag guidelines. They could prevent injury and the only thing we have to do is to follow our guidlines for one more undeployed airbag (in a well equipped car there will be around 6 undeployed airbags in a frontal collision, so thats no problem).

The system is called "occopant position detection system" (OPDS) by Honda. I think it is built by Elesys, they call it SeatSentry Occupant Sensing System. Here is a picture:

You'll find more informations on their website www.elesys-na.com. I also checked the Honda page but could not find any further informations, I also did not find informations about the "wireless" feature and the new ECU mounting position.

Would be great to see some more pictures Todd!
    Jorg Heck
    Moditech Rescue Solutions B.V.
    http://www.moditech.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Honda has been using the OPDS in many of their vehicles for the last couple years. The new antenna system is a first and only in the 2006 Ridgeline. I am trying to get some photos. I have found one in the salvage yard but I am waiting for the vehicle to be released before I can tear the seat apart. The Honda service manual does not have a photo that shows the exact position.

I don't see any additional risks with these new systems, just more electronics waiting to be tested at the scene of the accident.

Cars these days would probably do better on the SAT's than I ever did or could.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Thread Information