Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Just started new job and have a better job offer

Ok guys here is my dilema. I have been a POC for 2 years. I just got a job as a contract medic/firefighter and I would be working 24/48. There is not really any room to move up because it is contract. I have made it through my two orientation days and I am do to start on the dec. 31 as my first offical shift day. I am making $30,000 a year. I also applied for another job at the same time (the one I really wanted). Well they called me today and offered me the job. I would much rather work there and the pay would be near $40,000 a year. I could really use the extra money and would rather work there. Also there is room to move up in this job I was thinkg about working 48/24, but that will get old fast and do not think the first department will let me do that after coming off shift of the second department.

My question: Do you think it would look really bad if I went in and told the first department that I had another job offer and that I was going to take it. I do not want to make a bad name for my self in the fire service. I know things get around fast in the fire service and I would hate to make a bad name for my self that would follow me around.

Any advice would be great because I have a day to decide what I want to do.

thanks
    Tom

MembersZone Subscriber

It certainly seems like you have already made up your mind. From all that you have indicated, it would seem that the smart choice is to take the second offer. Trying to work both would be cheating both departments and you. Burnout is almost certain, and you couldnt say that either department has your full commitment. Unless the contract binds you to the position, take the second offer because its the one you want. Let the first department re-offer the position to another qualified candidate.

Forum Member

It is always business never personal. You need to go to the spot that will give you the carreer you want, and pay you what you need. Period.

Temporarily/No Longer Active

Quote Originally Posted by FFSmitty1
    It is always business never personal. You need to go to the spot that will give you the carreer you want, and pay you what you need. Period.

Always live by the words of Nino Brown, "It's just business, it ain't personal".

-Nino Brown, New Jack City

MembersZone Subscriber

I would go with the job that will make you happy.Also money helps.
    I've been in the fire service for 13 years and I have found out that you yourself make a good name or bad name by your work ethics and promptness

Forum Member

I don't know how contracts/fire service pay works..but it maybe worth telling the 1st department the situation... I know of several people who were going to leave their jobs and their current employer up the ante and made it worth staying. Who knows maybe they will let you out no hard feelings. I have had a boss or two who let me walk away and told me I was welcome back anytime if I wanted.

I myself have been in the same situation in the past. As FFSmitty1 said, it's just buisness, nothing personal. Your actions on the job will determine your reputation, not taking a better offer.

I put my personal decision like this, "money talks bulls*** walks".

But also remember that money isnt everything. I myself love the cash but make sure that you are happy with yourself leaving. You can leave to go to a department that makes more money but you may not be happy working there. I guess my advice is to ask around and make sure that its where you want to be

Thread Information