Thread: Fogtech safe?

Forum Member

Default Fogtech safe?

Hi I am curious to know if anyone has used fogtech on thier scba's? I have been in contact with the manufacturer and they inform me that it may flash at 190f. Has anyone used this product on the inside of the ba or know of anyone?
    Thanks
    Chris

Forum Member

Put it this way, below is a quote from the MSDS for Fogtech. Possible eye, skin and respitory irritation while fighting a fire= one really bad idea. Fire Fighting is strenous enough without even more things working against you. If a fogged mask is an issue then hit your bypass vavle for a quick shot of air that should clear the mask.

Section 3 - Potential Health Effects
    Effects of Overexposure:
    Eye Contact Eye contact may cause slight eye irritation. Contact with dry surfactant may produce oil film causing brief reversible dimness of sight.

Skin Contact Skin contact may cause slight irritation or drying of skin.

Inhalation Inhalation of vapors or mists may cause respiratory tract irritation.
    Ingestion Ingestion may cause nausea and vomiting. May be slightly toxic.

Moire info from the MSDS.

Unusual Fire Hazards:
    Product will degrade upon prolonged heating or in a fire, producing carbonyl fluoride, hydrogen fluoride (HF), carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide, and silicon dioxide fumes. HF is toxic if inhaled or comes into contact with moist skin. Dried surfactant upon prolonged heating or in a fire will produce carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide and silicon dioxide fumes.

PKFPD
    IACOJ and proud of it

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.

Forum Member

Question Thanks

Thank you for the information.
    I have used the bypass valve with no effect. That is why I was looking into defoggers/antifog products. Might anyone know of a good one?
    Thanks Again

Forum Member

Humm, I've had mixed results with the bypass method also. I did find this product that is water based, below is a link to the MSDS and the companies website. This one sounds like it might fit the bill.

http://www.biomarineinc.com/manuals/...gDataSheet.pdf

http://www.exxene.com/anti_fog.htm

PKFPD
    IACOJ and proud of it

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.

Forum Member

Default Anti fog

Thank you again the link is very helpful.
    I am not sure but I have heard of alot of issues with firefighters in my municipality having issues with their scott packs fogging up alot.
    Thanks again

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by rescue2273
    Thank you again the link is very helpful.
    I am not sure but I have heard of alot of issues with firefighters in my municipality having issues with their scott packs fogging up alot.
    Thanks again
    Do you have the nosecups in the mask? Some districts still don't have those. Don't use any form of anti-fog solutions on your masks, your only asking for trouble. Reamember that the weather is going to play a big part in your problems as well, somehow people forget this when they decide to mask up on the truck.
    FF/NREMT-B

FTM-PTB!!

Brass does not equal brains.

Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

Firehouse.com

In cold weather especially, I never put my face piece on until I am at the door getting ready to make entry for this reason. I hate a fogged up mask. If you are staged there is no reason to have your mask on. You use to much air to unfog for no reason and I think it is a safety hazard to be walking around with a fogged up mask because you cannot see where you are going.

I think the Bypass valve works the best. never tried any antifog on my face piece just always crack the bypass open for a second or two and the fog is gone.
    Ryan
    E/O, EMT-I
    K.C. Metro FOOLS
    FTM-PTB EGH RFB KTF DTRT
    Leather Forever

IACOJ
    www.kcmfes.com

Irish pride's what I got, I got alot so don't dipute it!!

Thread Information