Forum Member

Default Yet another foam question

This question pertains to the flushing of the foam system.

We have a truck under construction that has a class A/B Foam Pro system. The pump is a Hale PTO 1000 GPM. As you may know, with many PTO pumps the truck manufacturer builds the manifold which is the case with ours.
    The foam will be injected into the manifold so that all discharges will have foam capability (within the foam system capacity, one line class B the remainder class A.)
    Now here’s my question, is this a bad idea? Is flushing the pump and manifold going to be a problem more so then if the foam was injected directly into a discharge or two?

This question quite possible could be answered (Most likely not) by our builder but no one will be available until after January 3rd so I thought I’d post it here.

Forum Member

It sounds like all you need to do is flush all of the discharges instead of just one since all of them will be running off of the manifold. Thus it shouldn't be much of an issue, just a little more work.

One thing you may want to watch for is foam gumming up in the lines between the reservoir and the manifold. We have noticed this problem on our rigs. The solution is to flow a little foam every once in a while to keep the foam in the line from gelling.

Good luck with the rig!

Irons
    I can't believe they actually pay me to do this!!!

One friend noted yesterday that a fire officer only carries a flashlight, sometimes prompting grumbling from firefighters who have to lug tools and hoses.
    "The old saying is you never know how heavy that flashlight can become," the friend said.
    -from a tragic story posted on firefighterclosecalls.com

Forum Member

Wink foam

I am not a fan of the manifold system since if the manifold welds break or crack or whatever the whole system is out. That said the previous poster says it well when he says that it will be bit more effort in flushing the whole system rather than one line. Just be sure that no one mixes the A & B foams because it makes for one sticky mess.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by lvwrench
    I am not a fan of the manifold system since if the manifold welds break or crack or whatever the whole system is out. That said the previous poster says it well when he says that it will be bit more effort in flushing the whole system rather than one line. Just be sure that no one mixes the A & B foams because it makes for one sticky mess.
    I realize I must flush the lines used but if I only using one and flushing that one, will this adequately clean the whole manifold?

I have read some back threads about accidentally mixing A & B and am concerned. We may re-thinking the A/B thing but for now the system is being installed. It may turn out that both tanks may be class B

Forum Member

You will have to flush all of the discharges coming off of the manifold since the foam mixture could make its way all the way up to the discharge valves due to turbulence no matter if you use those discharges or not.
    I can't believe they actually pay me to do this!!!

One friend noted yesterday that a fire officer only carries a flashlight, sometimes prompting grumbling from firefighters who have to lug tools and hoses.
    "The old saying is you never know how heavy that flashlight can become," the friend said.
    -from a tragic story posted on firefighterclosecalls.com

Forum Member

Wink ditto

Ditto Ironman; another reason I don't like manifolds,oh well. I think that our department has finally figured out that all you really need is class A in varying percentages for most things and that if b is needed then a five gallon bucket or two with a draft set up will handle the job. It sure beats all the aggravation of mixed up foams and messed up pump systems.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by IronsMan53
    You will have to flush all of the discharges coming off of the manifold since the foam mixture could make its way all the way up to the discharge valves due to turbulence no matter if you use those discharges or not.
    Irons, that’s exactly the same thing I was thinking. Without seeing the valve locations and knowing the length of piping leading to the valves foam could become “trapped”
    I believe the pump is being installed next week. We may make a change to this.

Boy, just when you think you have it all figured out you start second guessing you’re self

Forum Member

Hello All,

My department has a dual tank Foampro system. Have had in service since 1998. I can say that we have had no manifold issues that are mentioned in this post. Our system has worked very well for us. FoamPros are very reliable and dependable.

As far as flushing goes. We carry "A" foam in both tanks. Since we use only Class "A" foam we do not flush the Foampro pump or manual selector valve. We do flush the manifold, but it is flushed as we flush the hoseline or lines that were actually used. With "A" foam you only flush until clear water is at the nozzle. On 150' of 1 3/4" hose it takes about 20-30 seconds of flow to flush the line.

If you are planning on carrying "A" foam in the A tank and "B" foam in the B tank then flushing becomes very important for not only the manifold but the foam pump and selector valve itself. Because YOU DO NOT want "A" and "B" foam concentrates to ever mix together. They do not like each other and will damage your system by becoming a "plug" in the line.

It is assumed that you are fighting "A" type fires 99.9% of the time. So the only time you would have to flush the Foampro pump is when you actualy use "B" foam. And when you do use "B" foam you must flush a minimum of 20 minutes with water. The foam pump, selector valve and hoselines used must all be flushed for 20 minutes when "B" foam is used.

Hope this helps.

Be Safe,

Captain Lou
    "Got Foam?"

MembersZone Subscriber

The reason some A and B foams don't mix is because of the alcohol content of some Class A foams. There is one popular brand of Class A foam that actually has a moderate flammability rating. We recently switched to Angus Hi-Combat A and Angus Niagra B. The Hi-Combat is apparantly a fairly new concept that doesn't contain alcohol. I filled a large jar with half A and half B about 6 months ago and there has been no gelling or any sign of the goopy stuff you usually see when A and B are mixed. We still don't encourage mixing but if it does accidently occur it isn't a big deal as long as you flush it out as soon as you can.

Thread Information