Thread: FP Rejection

MembersZone Subscriber

Unhappy FP Rejection

Well. Once again, another rejection letter. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to us! We didn't even ask for much, just enough to conduct a formal risk assessment so we know where the focus needs to be in our community. I'm done. My department will be looking for a new grant coordinator. One can take just so much rejection before it feels personal.

PS: I do want to everyone, especially the three gurus, for all of the help, hope and insight. Good luck to all!
    Last edited by ksmith31; 12-29-2005 at 05:45 PM.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Sorry to hear about it Kelly. Don't give up on it yet, and certainly you can't take it personally. Although I did the same when we got our DJ for the rescue truck in 2001. Which gave me the drive to figure out what I needed to change for 2002, and lo and behold it worked. If we had gotten the award in 2001 I wouldn't know 1/10th as much as I do now after spending thousands of hours in research mode.

Give a shout if you need anything for 2006. After you drown it over the New Year's Holiday that is.

- Brian

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Thanks ...

Thanks, Brian. Hey, BTW ~ good luck to you and your wife! Not much time left, I hear. Let us know when the big event happens, we'll be thinking of you. Was I supposed to wait until New Years? I've already broken into my favorite wine "Red Zeppelin." (hiccup) It makes things much clearer ... Now that I've calmed down some I can say that I'm sure when my head clears I'll be back fast and furious and looking for some advice. It's always nice to know you're not alone in situations like this. Anyone having any seminars in western New York? (PS: Alana ~ When my e-mail is back up and running I will be in touch ...)

Forum Member

Default Dont give up!!

We failed our 1st attempt for the grant. We appd a second time and received 114K for equip. Our 3rd attempt we tried for a new pumper and got awarded 225K. Our grant writer knew whaqt buttons to push and that is the key. To know what they are looking for. Keep trying and good luck.
    Forrest Gregg
    Chief
    Holtville/Slapout
    Fire & Rescue Inc.
    District 10 Director
    AAVFD
    IAFC
    www.holtvilleslapoutfd.org

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Kelly, I've never been one to procrastinate when it comes to celebration either, so no you definitely didn't need to wait.

Thanks, we are due Monday, and indications look like arrival will be within the next few days.

It ain't next door, but I'll be about 4 hours from Buffalo in February teaching.

Don't be a stranger with questions, the Inbox is always open.

MembersZone Subscriber

I wasn't even aware that FP DJs were going to be out yet....

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Don't I feel special ...

Thanks BC! Let me know where and when and I'll see if I can get there. You're not going to want to bother with my whining when that baby gets here! Lucky me to be one of the first to receive a DJ. That must count for something Anyways, if they are doing these as they do the others, I guess this means we didn't make it past the computer scoring?! Honestly, we really needed and wanted this one. Not that we don't need and want the AFG but we've never done a risk assessment of any kind and thought that getting one done as part of FP was a great big step in the right direction for us. I imagined it helping with other projects as well. How do we assess our numbers to find out where we went wrong?

MembersZone Subscriber

How was the Dear John worded for your FPG?

FH Mag/.com Contributor

East Liverpool OH, 26 miles from Pittsburgh I believe. That's what Max (Fireguy919) told me, his station is hosting the seminar. Feb 18th. And 19th if we need to add the 2nd day, I keep it to 20 depts per day to make sure we have enough time to analyze everyone's situation. Details on the web site: www.firegraphics.org

I'll take whining over diaper duty any day, but I'm not seeing me getting out of that job. S'alright, I aim to be a good father and that's just part of it. It will work out in the end when I have someone that takes out the trash, washes dishes, or mows the lawn so I don't have to. I just can't wait to find out what it is, we didn't want to know boy or girl. Figured it was the ultimate surprise.

I haven't heard anyone else getting a DJ yet, so this must be the first round, and no, didn't make it past the computer then.

If all you asked for was money to perform the risk assessment, that's an eligible but not very high priority project. It doesn't take much to perform one, the 5 page guy that my clients and seminar attendees fill out is comprehensive to show risk factors. Even more so when I add the other 2 pages to it. But anyway, it doesn't take much for smaller districts to perform their own. The ones that they say they'll fund will probably only get awarded to larger cities that haven't done anything to track fire stats in any depth.

Number of fire related injuries, number of residents in the high-risk populations (<14, over 65), schools, apartments, etc, etc are all numbers that you'll find in an assessment. Hospitals and EMS agencies can tell you the injury or fatality numbers, as long as there are no names or identifying facts it won't violate HIPAA.

Just a few random thoughts as I turn my Emergency DVDs into smaller files for watching on the PDA. It's good to be a nerd sometimes. Family Guy Volume 3 is next....

MembersZone Subscriber

Default FP Grant

Also recieved the FP DJ last night - wording below. i will admit that i was busy at work and this submittal did not get 110% effort.

first year at grant writing - for two departments - and my score is 1 out of 4 and 0 for 2......as a rookie I quess I shouldn't complain - at least I got some $....

"We cannot provide you a detailed account of how your application was rated in the competitive process since reviews and other pre-decisional materials are only for internal official use. However, we can share with you generally the opinion that a panel of your fire service peers, who reviewed your application, had about the application’s content. The panelists evaluated your application based on the evaluation criteria that were described in the program guidance. The panelists evaluation reflected a below average score on all of the evaluation criteria."

BC - I was unaware of the pending arrival - Best wishes !!

and to all - BEST WISHES FOR A SAFE 2006!!!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default ?

Is there an FP or AFG "for Dummies" book? If so, where can I get it? Better yet if it had a sample risk assessment (proven effective) I'd leave work to go get it today! (My DJ was worded the same way as tonyg's.) BC ~ yes, we asked for funding to conduct it, about $4,000. We thought we would start at ground zero and build from there. I'm out of ideas. We know that only certain parts of our current program are being absorbed by the kids (kinda like diapers ), so to speak, as evidenced by a very informal risk assessment that we conducted last fall. We don't even broach the matter with the senior citizen population, which is quite large in our district. We have senior living complexes all over the place and more being built. We had one senior fall asleep while smoking earlier this year. After three months in the hospital she died from her burns. We had a kid start hay bales on fire at his own families farm just for the fun of it over the summer. We had a pick-up truck torched in an apartment complex last month. The list seems to be growing every year.

BC ~ You're going to be a great Dad! But, don't blink. They grow up way to quick. I can hardly believe my oldest is 15 now. When I look at him he's still 7. And, I'm going to check out your site to see where you're going to be at.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Been there .... Read that

I spent many hours reading the guidance, more than once. Almost lost my job because of it. I've taken advice from the many people in these forums, especially Brian, Alana and Kurt. I've printed out these forum discussions so I can go back to them for guidance. I discussed our proposal with one of the aforementioned gurus before it was submitted and was told that they would fund it if given the chance. I read these forums on a daily basis and followed Trojanhorse's steps to a T; identify problem, brainstorm for a solution, identify needed equipment and write. Any other suggestions? I asked for the materials needed to conduct the assessment, analyze the results, brainstorm a new FP program and implement it. Most of the equipment would be used for the execution of the program once it was reworked. That whole scenario was clearly spelled out in the proposal. Our problem was the computer scoring if past grants hold true to this one. First round of rejections didn't make it past the computer.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

The fun part is trying to figure out the global landscape and figuring out what will and won't make it to computer scoring given historical projects and funding. This is why assessments are so critical. They make you realize that Dept B to your Dept A is applying for something similar and given the stats of both, they have more X which will give them higher priority on the same project. This is especially evident in vehicle apps. It doesn't diminish the local need, doesn't diminish the effort or quality of the application, it just goes to overall chances of being read. The biggest thing to remember is that in addition to being a competitive program, it's highly dynamic as probably 75% of the applications change every year.

I think it's best compared to herding kittens.

MembersZone Subscriber

Since the rejections have started going out, has anyone received the 10 questions yet?

MembersZone Subscriber

ksmith31 I won't be in W NY but just outside Philly in late February. Drop me an email and I can give you details.
    Kurt Bradley
    Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
    " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Forum Member

It appears some departments received the 10 questions for the FP&S grants on Dec. 22 and others received DJs on Dec. 29.

Has anyone seen any activity this week on their Fire Prevention grant application?

Awards for some are believed to be officially awarded in a week of two.

Thread Information