Forum Member

Default Do You Want Fires?

I was reading in another thread about a guy wanting to know how to end a dry spell that came with a new guy. He was getting criticized for wanting to end this no-fire streak. So here's the question, when you go to work do you want to catch a fire? I personally want a fire every day. This is not to say that I want extra destruction of property, but just that it's going to happen anyway, so it may as well happen in our area. We were riding aroud one day and someone made a comment about a good looking house. Another guy answered "It would look better with fire blowing out of every window!" It was funny, but only because everyone around us thinks the same way - they want to work. So there's the question - fire away! (no pun intended)

Forum Member

Dunno about everyone else but yes, I want some action. The guys start getting a little grouchy if we go to long without a fire. I'm not saying I want the world to burn, I hate to see people loose everything they own. The fact is, fires are going to happen, and when they happen I want to be there. I'm going to stay close to this thread, the heat this will draw will make me feel right at home.

PKFPD
    IACOJ and proud of it

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoFF
    I was reading in another thread about a guy wanting to know how to end a dry spell that came with a new guy. He was getting criticized for wanting to end this no-fire streak. So here's the question, when you go to work do you want to catch a fire? I personally want a fire every day. This is not to say that I want extra destruction of property, but just that it's going to happen anyway, so it may as well happen in our area. We were riding aroud one day and someone made a comment about a good looking house. Another guy answered "It would look better with fire blowing out of every window!" It was funny, but only because everyone around us thinks the same way - they want to work. So there's the question - fire away! (no pun intended)
    I could go for at least one per shift! More if necessary

It's the candy we all look forward to, or at least I do!

Happy New Year!!!!
    Kevin
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

dazed and confused

Quote Originally Posted by pkfd7505
    I hate to see people loose everything they own. The fact is, fires are going to happen, and when they happen I want to be there.
    I'd hope that would sum up the majority here... it does for me... if it's going to happen, I'd at least like to be there to help make a difference.

Of course, if we never had a real fire again... that's not a bad thing. The whole proactive vs. reactive thing. There are side-effects though, like people with less and less real world experience.
    Last edited by Resq14; 12-30-2005 at 05:37 PM.
    God Bless America!Remember all have given some, but some have given all.
    Google Is Your Friend™Helpful forum tip - a "must see" if you're new here
    Click this to search FH Forums!

MembersZone Subscriber

yes I want fires. Pretty much no matter what job you do you want to be challenged at it. Fires are a challenge for us so yes I want fires.
    "Train as if your life depends on it"
    Always Remember *343*

Forum Member

More would be nice. There are so few here (could count them on one hand), everyone starts to get rusty. Unfortunately we have few training opportunities either. I’m worried the lack of experience will start to get dangerous.

Forum Member

Hmmm, from a firefighters view sure. Fighting fire is what we do. But in reality no, I dont wish a loss like that on anyone. It also means we have failed in our prevention and education efforts.

It really wouldnt bother me if I never went to abother fire...unless I got the pipe.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

Be careful for what you wish for... With that in mind I love to fight fire.
    ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
    LT. John Ginley Engine 40
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
    FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
    FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
    FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
    FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
    FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
    FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
    "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
    *******************CLICK HERE*****************

MembersZone Subscriber

We just had a hit two shifts ago, it makes a huge difference in the guys. The longer we go without, the more the little things like vehicle maintenance, the station, uniform policies and the administration in general gets to the members.
    While I don't want to see anyone loose their stuff, if I'm working bring it on.

Forum Member

Bring 'em on!!!!

Forum Member

I started the other thread to see if there were any traditions out there for welcoming new people who bring the cloud with them feel like a brother. Instead I get jumped for you want more fire.

For those who jumped: 9 months at that truck and those were the first 2 significant fires. We found it kinda funny that the second the new guy took his gear off the truck the tones dropped for a structure fire, hence the "white cloud."

Guess there are too many here that keep their panties in a bunch and just look to jump on someone. Kinda sad. Guess it is the death of fun, tradition and brotherhood in the fire service.

I learned from a captain the three things he expected from his crew: (1) Do your job. (2) Do it well. (3) Have fun.

As for wanting fires. Yes, I hope we catch some. Do I hope someones house burns down?

To those who jump on others, pull the panties out of your butt. They are cutting off your oxygen supply.

Forum Member

Are you kidding? No, really you mean there a firefighter's out there that don't want fire's. Say it Aint So.

No one likes to see someone else's stuff go up in smoke. A fire is one of the most destructive and devestating events that can occur in a person's life and as FF's we see that more than anyone else, so naturally anyone with an ounce of human decency and a conscious doesn't want to see anyone experience this foul event.

On the other hand. Yes its going to happen, I just hope it happens on my shift. Its my job to fight fires its how I earn a living. It ain't gotta be the world but a worker will do.

MembersZone Subscriber

No. Providence R.I. : Land of the "How ya doins"

Ahh the puffing of smoke, the crackling of flames, the soft glow of fire blowing out the second floor windows of a 3 story wood-frame tenement. Yep that does it for me. Give me at least one a tour! (I'm not that greedy )
    "I have no ambition in this world but one, and that is to be a fireman. The position may, in the eyes of some, appear to be a lowly one; but we know the work which a fireman has to do believe that his is a noble calling."

Edward F. Croker
    Chief 1899-1911
    Fire Dept. City of New York

HOOK N' CAN of the I.A.C.O.J.

Forum Member

I hope something burns in my running territory nearly everyday. I may pass occasionally on a day where I am sick. Nah......every day.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Forum Member

Ohhhh....F-I-R-E-S....I thought the questions was, "Do you want fries."

I would be happy if I never had to see anyone lose their home again, BUT we are FIREfighters. We spend so much time training and trying to perfect our skills to do just that. Fight fires. Being a firefighter with no fires would be like being, I dunno, a doctor with no patients, a lawyer with no cases, a cop with no donuts...ohhh wait...I mean a cop without anyone to arrest.

I hope for structurally sound, unoccupied buildings...but, of course, only because actually getting to work raises morale.
    Last edited by Co11FireGal; 12-30-2005 at 10:10 PM.
    IACOJ

"And let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap it if we do not lose heart."

Forum Member

I love the experence that comes getting to learn from a good trauma or a good job but you think about it I don't someones house to burn down or grandmother die just so I can learn. What its come down to for me is I'm happy with a four call tour if just fall victims or a day without calls cause nobody needed our help. I just can't wish for someone to get sick and feel good about that but when it happens it happens.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
    You are kidding me right? I would hope that no one on here is hoping for a fire, a fatal accident, or anything bad to happen to your neighbors. That is just plain crazy. I would much rather drill and practice than to have the real thing. I must be in the minority for not wanting any harm to come to my fellow human beings.
    I think your missing the point here. Nobody is saying they wish harm or sorrow on anyone. Just that if it's going to happen (and it is), we want to be the ones that respond.

I thoroughly enjoy fighting fire, but I HATE to see anyone suffer loss of any kind.

Kevin
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    "Fir na tine"

Forum Member

You are kidding me right? I would hope that no one on here is hoping for a fire, a fatal accident, or anything bad to happen to your neighbors. That is just plain crazy. I would much rather drill and practice than to have the real thing. I must be in the minority for not wanting any harm to come to my fellow human beings.
    You have quoted an entirely different situation. I think the question asked specifically about fires. I doubt anyone asnwering yes to the question gets giddy over fatalities in any form, but everything you have listed is our job or why you are a member of a volunteer department. Do I like going to fires? See my post above. Car wrecks? Yeah, A good pin is okay every now and then. Injuries and EMS calls? They break up the monotony of the day. I certainly don't wanna sit in the the house for a 24 hour shift and do nothing, but the satisfaction comes from helping people and righting bad situations. Fires and bad accidents are our biggest challenge. What can I say, I am always up for a challenge.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Forum Member

Starting to see why the fire service is not very forceful at pushing for residential sprinklers.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Sure I want to see fires, i'm a firefighter. If the world suddenly became fire free, and all I had to do was wax the trucks, i'd quit.

On the other side of the coin, I dont want to see people get hurt, or loose there property, but like others have said, it will, and does happen.

Lexfd5 mentioned rookies bringing on the fires. It happens like that at our dept too. Within two weeks of our last set of rookies graduating we had three really good structure fires. The best part of that was me being on the knob on the first due engine on two out of the three. BRING ON THE ROOKIES!

MembersZone Subscriber

Or you just want to disagree with the majority so you can argue on the internet as usual.
    "Train as if your life depends on it"
    Always Remember *343*

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by IGotTheJumpSeat
    Lexfd5 mentioned rookies bringing on the fires. It happens like that at our dept too. Within two weeks of our last set of rookies graduating we had three really good structure fires. The best part of that was me being on the knob on the first due engine on two out of the three. BRING ON THE ROOKIES!
    We just brought on something like 14 rookies.

Hmmm...Let's see what they bring us...

Happy New Year!!!!!
    Kevin
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    "Fir na tine"

Forum Member

Whangaparaoa Peninsular North Island New Zealand

Talking Very profound

Quote Originally Posted by E40FDNYL35
    Be careful for what you wish for... With that in mind I love to fight fire.
    Many moons ago when the world was young and I was 10 ft tall and bulletproof(about 1966 ish), the lack of working jobs irked me somewhat.
    Looking at the tally sheet for a really busy station reasonably close to my abode-- South Norwood, South of the River Thames , I chose B28 Peckham--3,700 calls per year or near enuff. I lasted less than a year! Could not get back to a less busy station quickly enough--it cost me big in money(could not work at my second job-too tired) it cost even more in travelling expense, and time caught up in traffic--the working day had suddenly grown 2hrs more in the morning and the same at night.
    As for loving to fight fire--its like living in a brewery--the first hundred beers are not bad---but then you start tipping them down the drain!
    On that note Happy New Year cos it is only3hrs to 2006--stay safe.

EuroFirefighter.com

And very honestly, I don't think this is something anyone should be saying in an open public forum. I know if I am just a regular citizen and I see this I get a little bit upset.
    I gotta say I agree with Trojan .... this is a public forum and I don't think it leaves a good impression to tell our people 'we love fighting fires or want more fires'. Having said that, the personality types that go to make up the 'ideal; up front; get in and get it done' firefighter will thrive on action. It is what makes these chracters do what they do and the constant action keeps their mindset sharp and alert and ready. The vast majority of the population cannot understand the personality profile, or character, who is repeatedly willing to place his or herself in harms way to protect and save others.

Firefighters thrive on the action .... the challenge .... the physical and emotional rollercoaster that has something to do with the natural 'burst' of chemicals racing through the body on each run, fire and rescue. If they didn't have this desire .... they just wouldn't be good at what they do.

Forum Member

We just pulled two fires in one day. 5pm and then again at midnight. Both homes were vacant. First one was hit fast and knocked down right away. The second was a lot more work.

I agree with the others on this thread; it sure gives the guys something else to talk about than the cleaning and administration.

I'll take one a day.

Thread Information