Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By HeavyRescueTech

Thread: Firefighter Meals Deduction

Forum Member

Default Firefighter Meals Deduction

Does anyone know the IRS ruleing for firefighter meals deduction while
    on-duty?

Forum Member

I think that if there is a set amount per shift for meals, it is considered part of station dues. I have a tax guy that knows fire fighter tax rules inside out and he has a set amount per shift that he considers manditory meal cost and it is part of station dues. I have heard however, that meals are not individually deductible. So I guess you'll just have to find the right tax preparer. Good luck, there's only about eighty billion pages of tax code to shuffle through if you want to search for the specifics.

Forum Member

I wish I could get a tax break for every meal at the firehouse that got interrupted by incidents and phone calls about fire codes and inspections... damn, I'd be rich!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Not sure but I believe that its either $5 or $10 dollars a day per work day. A good tax preparer should know espically one that's worked with FF's before. Also you may want to check to see what "per day" is I think its considered either an 8 or 12 hr shift, so you may get to double up if you work 24's.

Forum Member

7.1) Question: Can firemen who provide their own meals at their 24 hour shifts deduct the meal per diem? Are there any special rules for fire fighter's meals?

Answer: Fire fighters who work at their regular fire station(s) are not entitled to any meal expense deduction even if they work a 24 hour shift. This was established through Rev Rule 55-49 which held that fire fighters are not "away from their tax home" when they work at their regular post of duty regardless of the number of hours worked. The special rule for fire fighter meals deals with meals that are provided by the employer as a fringe benefit. Code section 119 excludes employer provided meals from taxable income if over half of the employees are furnished meals, at work, for the convenience of the employer. Another part of this special rule affects the employer of fire fighters. Since this provision was in effect before 1998, the employer's deduction for the meals is not subject to the 50% meal and entertainment expense limitation.
    http://www.auburn.edu/outreach/tax/qa04.htm

Although it states "Rev Rule 55-49", I believe it was actually meant to state Rev Rule 56-49...
    http://www.taxlinks.com/rulings/1956/revrul56-49.htm
    or search for other rules...
    http://www.taxlinks.com/rulings/find...vrulmaster.htm

Forum Member

Forum Member

It appears as if meals can only be deducted if the employer requires the firefighters to pay into a meal fund as a requirment for employment, and only if the firefighter actually participates.
    http://www.hultgren.org/news/05/05-014.html

Forum Member

Not sure of all the rules, but I do know my tax lady deducts $35.00/shift for meals. She will also deduct my work boots when I buy them, belts, dry cleaning for uniforms, Cell Phone bill, Internet bill, computer items such as my printer and lap top. I have often wondered how some of the things I get deducted are able to be, but she is the tax expert and she said it is allowed. She said if I ever get an audit she would be responsible for it because she put her name on the tax return. So I just give her the things she needs and trust her.
    A "Good" fire is not measured by how big it is, but by the fact that everyone is going home safe, and that we possibly learned something new about firefighting. Member:IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Station2Capt
    I have often wondered how some of the things I get deducted are able to be, but she is the tax expert and she said it is allowed.

You can deduct anything you want. Of course the IRS can audit and disallow anything it wants. . .
    Last edited by ullrichk; 12-31-2005 at 07:13 AM. Reason: HTML challenged this morning.
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

Forum Member

I normally deduct things like:

-Uniforms (shirts, pants, footwear to include sneakers for PT and station shoes, PT clothes, belts, dry cleaning bills, etc.)

-"Small Tools" such as flashlights, Gerber tools, small tool sets to keep in my locker (because we all know the Dept issue sets are always complete and have each and every socket and wrench that you need)

-Magazine Subscriptions (Firehouse, Fire Engineering, FAJ, etc.) These are all training materials and are deductable

-Any training expenses not reimbursed by the Dept.

I have never heard of deducting meals......
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

I have often wondered how some of the things I get deducted are able to be, but she is the tax expert and she said it is allowed.
    when was the last time you heard of a tax preparer going to jail for income tax fraud? now, when was the last time you heard of a person going to jail for income tax fraud? the preparer would get a slap on the wrist, but it's your tax submittion, so even if she screws up, I bet you'll be dealing with the consequences.
    fireemt510 likes this.
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Forum Member

Almost that time of year again.
    Last edited by Engine32; 12-31-2005 at 07:09 PM.

Forum Member

the preparer would get a slap on the wrist, but it's your tax submittion, so even if she screws up, I bet you'll be dealing with the consequences.
    True; I'm pretty sure you have to sign the return yourself, acknowledging the fact that you are responsible for its content, not the preparer.

Disillusioned Subscriber

Not sure of all the rules, but I do know my tax lady deducts $35.00/shift for meals. She will also deduct my work boots when I buy them, belts, dry cleaning for uniforms, Cell Phone bill, Internet bill, computer items such as my printer and lap top. I have often wondered how some of the things I get deducted are able to be, but she is the tax expert and she said it is allowed. She said if I ever get an audit she would be responsible for it because she put her name on the tax return. So I just give her the things she needs and trust her.
    I guarantee that you'll pay all the taxes that would have been due plus interest and any penalties associated with it. The only jail time would probably come from failure to meet those obligations, or if intent to evade or defraud could be demonstrated. We had one of our guys go through this several years ago, and had to pay big bucks to meet the obligation that his "tax expert" said was nothing to worry about. The worst of it was that he was audited something like 4 of the follwoing 5 or 6 years after this.
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    ----------------------------
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

Forum Member

Default Been there done that.

I was audited several years ago and I can tell you 100 percent do not take those deductions the "professionals" say you can have. You do not get meal deductions,travel expenses to work,soap, and if you take the deduction for uniform stuff you must have a receipt for everything down to the penny. It took me 6 years to pay the IRS off from what the "professionals" say you can have. When they find one year wrong they go back as far as they can.

Forum Member

I see someone was playing with the thread defibrilator again......

Forum Member

I'm gonna dig up some "Donna" threads; this place is starting to get boring.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleman View Post
    Nozzy where you been? You really dont have to do that.........

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Steamer View Post
    I guarantee that you'll pay all the taxes that would have been due plus interest and any penalties associated with it.
    Interest and penalties used to be about 25%. So make sure you know your deductions are legal.

The IRS also reserves the right to seize property. I had a neighbor who didn't pay his taxes. The IRS literally showed up at his office one day and took just about everything of value. Including the Rolex on his wrist. By the time he got home, there was a little piece of yellow tape across his front door with a declaration telling him he wasn't sleeping there that night. It took years to unravel that case.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

Forum Member

Accidental double post.

Deleted by user.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleman View Post
    The gun threads were good for awhile. Till I caught the pro-gunners saying magazine capacity wasn't important. Then they claimed it was important when they realized they'd been caught.

I really enjoy all the Obama hating nutjobs commenting on his skeet shooting photo. They only prove they have not only never shot skeet, but they've also never watched anyone else shoot skeet.
    Last edited by scfire86; 02-05-2013 at 09:50 PM.

Thread Information