Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Does Navy

Forum Member

Default Does Navy

Hey, I was looking into the Air Force reserves, but theres no opening for Fire Protection in Washington. Do Navy damage controlman get any certifications in ffing? (FF1) Can they ever go to the DOD acadey @ Goodfellow? Thanks for any help? I know the Navy doesn't have just Firefighters, but I thought I would still ask.

MembersZone Subscriber tunkleahterhead's Avatar

I was in the Navy and in the Naval reserves for a total of 6 years. All six years were spent as a hospital corpsman. If you are looking at a reserve career the only way you are going to get a billet as a Damage Controlman is to spend the year in boot and A school and then hope they have a billet for you. Otherwise you are going to have to go active duty. Training wise I am not sure if they are required to maintain FFI etc, however I can tell you that you learn quite a bit about firefighting in boot camp. The Navy has their own way of firefighting, I was FFI going into boot and what they taught us was totally different from what I have learned. Navy DC's are a seagoing rate and the majority of their training is based soley on shipboard firefighting. Most if not all of the firefighters on Navy bases are federal civillian firefighters. Good luck in your searh and let me know if you would like to know anything else.
    "Remember courage is only fear that has said its prayers"
    "Leather Forever"
    "FDNY 9/11/01"
    IACOJ since 3/03

Forum Member

Default Cool thanks

Yea, I'm currently just an EMT, but was hoping to get ff1 done. Maybe I'll just have to go to the state Academy and then be a reservist. Thanks.

MembersZone Subscriber tunkleahterhead's Avatar

Well like I said reserve DC billets are very hard to come by you are better off if you are an EMT already to go in as an HM and cross rate later
    "Remember courage is only fear that has said its prayers"
    "Leather Forever"
    "FDNY 9/11/01"
    IACOJ since 3/03

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tunkleahterhead
    Well like I said reserve DC billets are very hard to come by you are better off if you are an EMT already to go in as an HM and cross rate later

At the base where I work, we have some prior service navy guys. They were ABH (Aviation boatwains mates-Handlers) and for shore duty they went to goodfellow for school before reporting to their base. I think it is hard to do though.

Forum Member

Default info

I was an instructor and am now a civ at a Navy Installation. The word we are getting here from the active navy guys is that the navy no longer wants to send any active duty through Goodfellow at all. While this may not be correct the process through the navy is still long and iffy. You would have to go ABH then wait for a shore duty billet. "If" you got order directly to a fire department you may get sent through Goodfellow. If you get orders to Air Ops for example, you could still get farmed out to the fire dept and have to do everything OJT. While I was at Goodfellow as an inst. we typically saw about 2 navy active duty to every 40 or so students, maybe even less. So chances are slim. Best bet is going into another branch.

Thread Information