Forum Member

Default Cairns versus Paul Conway leather

I would really appreciate any and all feedback on the paul Conway leather versus the New Yorker and Sam Houston.

I like the look and low profile of the Paul Conway.

Happy New year./

Forum Member

The Conway isn't a true leather lid...from the website..
    Shell — Leather processed with state-of-the-art chromium tanning process to seal protective qualities and color and to reflect heat. Won’t chip like painted leather helmets.
    LeatherGlas™ — process molds a fiberglass composite between the outer and inner layers of the leather shell for superior strength and durability during extreme conditions.
    See for yourself here....

http://www.paulconwayshields.com/AH.asp

I have seen fiberglass cows at Kimball Farms Ice Cream in Westford, Massachusetts..is that where LeatherGlas comes from?
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

New Yorker
    I can't believe they actually pay me to do this!!!

One friend noted yesterday that a fire officer only carries a flashlight, sometimes prompting grumbling from firefighters who have to lug tools and hoses.
    "The old saying is you never know how heavy that flashlight can become," the friend said.
    -from a tragic story posted on firefighterclosecalls.com

MembersZone Subscriber

recently switched from the paul conway to the sam houston.

both are good helmets but I like the sam houston better.

if you do a search there are a few threads with same question.
    "Train as if your life depends on it"
    Always Remember *343*

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by cdemarse
    recently switched from the paul conway to the sam houston.

both are good helmets but I like the sam houston better.

if you do a search there are a few threads with same question.
    I got my Houston today, love it already, especially after removing that stupid foam pad in the suspension. Muy Caliante!
    FF/NREMT-B

FTM-PTB!!

Brass does not equal brains.

Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by pfd4life
    I got my Houston today, love it already, especially after removing that stupid foam pad in the suspension. Muy Caliante!

I thought about that but the way it comes stock, the tip of my ears barely touch the brim of the helmet so I am not sure I want to take it out. I really dont want to cut it out and then not like it.
    Always Remember *343*

Forum Member

I have a Sam Houston and a New Yorker and I have removed the foam pads out of both and they fit and feel much better. The foam pads seemed to have concentrated more of the weight right on the top of my head which made them uncomfortable.

After using both of the Cairns helmets I would have to go with the New Yorker. BTW, I still use both helmets, but if the Sam Houston gets damaged it will be replaced with a New Yorker.

One friend noted yesterday that a fire officer only carries a flashlight, sometimes prompting grumbling from firefighters who have to lug tools and hoses.
    "The old saying is you never know how heavy that flashlight can become," the friend said.

Border Patrol

I just recently purchased a Conway and I'm happy with it.

I wanted a New Yorker but my chief is a stickler for the NFPA certification on any gear we purchase ourselves.

The price difference between the Conway and the Houston is what sealed the deal.

Some may not see it as a "true" leather but it's still better than a plastic lid.

Forum Member

Talking new yorker

Our Chief recently began allowing us to wear our own leather helmets - either of the Cairns models. I tried on both, and ordered the New Yorker, as I prefer the lower fit. I finally got it in the mail yesterday from allhandsfire.com which had the lowest price and delivered it in 1 week at Christmastime!!

I also cut out the foam pad, and it fits great!! I got my shield today, and it goes in service tomorrow morning. What a great helmet!!!

I highly recommend the New Yorker!!

Chris

PS I have no affiliation with allhandsfire.com, I was just very impressed with their service.

MembersZone Subscriber

I thought about allhandsfire.com for my N6A until I read the fine print

"*This helmet configuration is not kept in stock. Please allow 10-12 weeks for delivery."

That was for a Sam Houston with bourkes
    Always Remember *343*

Forum Member

Default huh...

Yeah, I guess read the fine print before buying. Mine is a black New Yorker with Bourkes, which they did have in stock (I e-mailed them before purchasing).

Chris

MembersZone Subscriber

N6A all the way!!! Got mine with the faceshied but went to bourkes and goggles. Got rid of the foam pad, fits great wouldn't wear anything else.
    Leather Forever

Lt. Ladder Co. 1

The opinions expressed here are my own and do not in anyway, reflect those of my department.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by cdemarse
    I thought about allhandsfire.com for my N6A until I read the fine print

"*This helmet configuration is not kept in stock. Please allow 10-12 weeks for delivery."

That was for a Sam Houston with bourkes
    Yeah the time frame is bad but I believe they have the cheapest prices around. I would wait it out to save $50.00

MembersZone Subscriber

I cut the foam pad out last night and have to say I do like it better also.
    Always Remember *343*

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ehs7554
    Yeah the time frame is bad but I believe they have the cheapest prices around. I would wait it out to save $50.00
    thefirestore.com has them for $30 more but I had mine in my hands in 3 days.
    Always Remember *343*

Forum Member

My first leather was a N6A Houston, I went to the N5A New Yorker with the goggles.

I , too cut the suspenison straps of the N6 and velcroed the pad to the top of the impact liner. The N6 is my backup lid now.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo
    I , too cut the suspenison straps of the N6 and velcroed the pad to the top of the impact liner.
    Does it fit well that way? I didn't cut the suspension straps on mine. I just took the round pad out and it's low enough that if it gets any lower it would be hitting the top of my ears.

Forum Member

It does fit better. I kept the ratchet sytem, as I liek being able to adjust the fit for different hair length, wearing a wool watch cap on c-c-c-cold winter nights, etc.

I got the N5A because I liked it better.
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo
    I kept the ratchet sytem, as I liek being able to adjust the fit for different hair length
    Yeah. like those times when you get the urge to grow out those dreds right Cap?

I used to wear a Paul Conway when I was on the job. I liked it a lot and liked the fit along with the leather head band and padding. It all depends on how you like it I guess.

So long as it isn't one of those condom hats that some people wear.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

MembersZone Subscriber

Up until recently I have been wearing a Phenix 1500 TL. Like it better than the newer versions of the N5A and the N6A. It sat alot lower and a loy lighter. But with my promotion I am wearing my old mans 5A, no guts no nothin.

Forum Member

Default New Yorker

When you say pul the guts out - do you take out the whole suspension system or just the foam?

MembersZone Subscriber

Santa Claus finally brought me my first N5A for X-mas. Unfortunally I am an Engineer so it probally will not see fire for a while, but I would never go back to my old helmet. I love it.
    "Training doesn't make you a good fireman, fighting fire makes you a good fireman"
    http://thedarksideof911.blogspot.com/
    FTM-PTB-EGH
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FirstDueCTVol
    When you say pul the guts out - do you take out the whole suspension system or just the foam?
    I just take the round foam pad out of mine. I leave the suspension straps in place. That is how most of the guys on my department does theirs. (it feels so much more comfortable) CaptainGonzo says that he takes his suspension out and velcros his foam pad to the impact liner. I haven't seen this done. Sounds like it works though. If you're feeling adventurous you can give that a shot. To each his own. Do what feels best for you.

MembersZone Subscriber

Exclamation

If you are pulling the suspension out of the helmet, you are defeating 1/2 the purpose of the helmet. The suspension is there to help absorb some of the shock and impact from a falling object. Does your chief know that the suspension has been removed? I gaurantee that if you were in my department you would not be allowed to wear that helmet to any call. If it is that uncomfortable, switch to a different helmet.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee750
    If you are pulling the suspension out of the helmet, you are defeating 1/2 the purpose of the helmet. The suspension is there to help absorb some of the shock and impact from a falling object. Does your chief know that the suspension has been removed? I gaurantee that if you were in my department you would not be allowed to wear that helmet to any call. If it is that uncomfortable, switch to a different helmet.
    Well, I am not in your department

My lids are not department issue, I bought them using my clothing allowance.

for the record..my New Yorker's suspension is intact. It is a much better fitting lid than my Houston, even with the setup I have in it now.
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Thread Information