Thread: Is it me.....?

Forum Member

Default Is it me.....?

Before reading this, please note.. That I am dedicated to the service....

With that said, I will file my grievence....

I go out with a few of the guys from the house, also meet up(Sometimes) with guys from others departments, to a local pub. The past couple of weeks there have been some new and different guys there, mixed with some of the "regulars".

The guys that have just started to come by, are on a different level then me and the other guys.. All they wanna talk about is the house, calls, trucks and the fire department bio(lol)...

I was open minded in meeting em, and enjoying a few drinks and laughs wit em, but now Im getting annoyed. I dont mean to sound arrogant, but when im working I dont evan carry a full 15 minute convo about that, unless its critical to the situation. I love the service, though!

What could I do, to show these guys, and the others who are getting annoyed also, that there is more than just the station and life goes on outside the job, or to try and deal with this - so that I can look at them as brothers, other than annoying whackers(I know that sounds cruel, but that what I feel NOW)...

MembersZone Subscriber

Don't hang out with those guys?
    Shift the conversation?
    Get over it?

Permanently Removed

I would go over and talk to some girls. But thats just me, I live my life through my pants.

I love this job too and sometimes find myself jabbing too much about it. Got to have balance and BS about other stuff.

My radar is always on...

Last edited by CALFFBOU; 12-31-2005 at 09:42 PM.

Forum Member

Just don't go hang out with them, or go, jabber a bit and use Bou's suggestion. I will go out for awhile with the crew, then go find somthing else to do. That way you won't appear anti-social, and most single males on a crew will understand.
    FF/NREMT-B

FTM-PTB!!

Brass does not equal brains.

Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

Forum Member

Don't hang out in firemen bars with firemen. Next question............

MembersZone Subscriber

...it is you.

FTM-PTB
    Last edited by FFFRED; 01-01-2006 at 04:32 PM.

Forum Member

No, its not you. No "talking shop" at all when we get together. Doesnt matter if its a house party, a night at the pub or an afternoon on the links. Once in a while a "newbie" will try, but they are quickly advised that its not welcome.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CALFFBOU
    I would go over and talk to some girls. But thats just me, I live my life through my pants.

I love this job too and sometimes find myself jabbing too much about it. Got to have balance and BS about other stuff.

My radar is always on...

What he said !
    ******=================
    ******================
    ******=================
    ******================
    =======================
    =======================
    =======================

------GOD BLESS AMERICA ! ------

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dave1983
    No, its not you. No "talking shop" at all when we get together. Doesnt matter if its a house party, a night at the pub or an afternoon on the links. Once in a while a "newbie" will try, but they are quickly advised that its not welcome.
    Thats a cool policy to live by ! Can you offer any "Polite/PC" ways to let it be known? I mean I dont wanna sound like an assshole, and I tend to sound that way 95% of the time but its not my intention.

I wanna make em feel comfortable, hanging with us, kinda like a second family - cookouts, pool night: the stereotypical brotherhood, but dont want SHOP TALK the focus of most conversations. Limitations.. I know how I would react if I was given the ultimatem " You wanna hang out with us, then no SHOP TALK". And anything I could say, kinda sounds like that. Id be like "Ok buddy fcuk ya".

I cant evan stand it when girls come up to us and ask me "have you ever saved anyone". And when people make an EXP big deal bout the who HERO thing.

I dont know.. Maybe there are a few people that are like me, and feel the same ways.. and if I listened to everone else, 'Im a wierdo if I dont talk shop'

Any HELP on how I can deal with this...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dave1983
    How about all the shop talk here? I assume every time you post here or read this site you are at work? Same question for you Rescuepimp. Do you post here only at work? Do you look all over the internet to find videos of other companies only at the firehouse? It seems like you guys engage in a lot of shop talk.

Forum Member

And speaking of your shop talk here are you on this "kentland 33" you posted the video of? You actually called them the "best company"? When you talk shop next, don't forget to mention calling your own company second best in front of the whole world!

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

I think it all depends on who you're talking shop with. When I'm with the guys in my department, or you're with the guys in your department or from your house, sure, we talk shop a bit, because that's the one thing we all have in common. We also have common experiences...we can talk about that big fire we had a while back because 1), we were all there, and 2) it makes good war stories.

But we also know a lot about each others personal lives...we know each others' wives and families, I know this guy likes fishing and that guy likes NASCAR, etc. , so it's easier to talk about a bunch of different topics.

When you throw some new guys into the mix, all you know about them is that they're firemen, so you're kinda stuck talking about that for a while until you get to know them better.

Think about that. All these "new guys" who show up at the pub probably talk about other stuff when they're not in mixed company. But since they're mixing with other firemen, they'll talk about fire stuff, because they know that's what you have in common. I think it will pass once you get to know more about each other.

Try changing the subject. Find out what they're into outside the fire department. Turn the conversation in another direction. Yeah, it'll probably come back around to the fire department eventually, but if you get 'em talking about something else for a while they'll probably roll with it.
    Last edited by dmleblanc; 01-02-2006 at 10:34 AM.
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream and I hope you don't find this too crazy is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Forum Member

ChicargoFF, Toche.. Touche my friend...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rescuepimp
    ChicargoFF, Toche.. Touche my friend...
    LOL! Just having some fun!

Forum Member

lmao.. I know.. I could try and justify it saying that it is relevant to the current "zone"(the FIREHOUSE fourms) were in, but only a true idiot trys to justify there errors.

But hey, that video is cool, HUH

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rescuepimp
    lmao.. I know.. I could try and justify it saying that it is relevant to the current "zone"(the FIREHOUSE fourms) were in, but only a true idiot trys to justify there errors.

But hey, that video is cool, HUH
    Actually, I couldn't watch it - I have to fix my quicktime player! Oh well.

Permanently Removed

I think you and your friends are hanging out at the wrong places. you need to venture out and leave the whacker shirts, pagers and blue lights at home.

ALSO- You do not need to drink a lot of beer and alcohol to have a good time with friends. I dont drink much and find it works well when trying to connect with the ladies. (Not throwing up on them is a nice touch too)

Come with brother Bou to a better place...

Last edited by CALFFBOU; 01-03-2006 at 01:44 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CALFFBOU
    I think you and your friends are hanging out at the wrong places. you need to venture out and leave the whacker shirts, pagers and blue lights at home.

Come to with brother Bou to a better place...
    I'm a married guy! And as they say..."Virtue is 99% lack of opportunity!" LOL

Permanently Removed

ChicagoFF- I didnt say "cheat on your wife", but talk to the ladies. Make new friends.

Listen to this lady. She wants YOU to come party in the "non-shop zone".
    Last edited by CALFFBOU; 01-02-2006 at 10:27 PM.

Forum Member

Like I said LACK OF OPPORTUNITY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'll be at the bar discussing fires....... Oh who am I kidding! LOL

Thread Information