Forum Member

Default 2006 Fire Act Grant

Has anyone seen any details about the 06 fire act grant?
    Guidence, ect?

Just trying to get started.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Guidance and other documents won't be out until end of January at the earliest. No one I've talked to predicts anything earth-shattering in the way of changes, so you won't go wrong by using the 2005 PG for now. Other than some possible changes in the way that regional apps are submitted, and the bottom line on money available, I personally don't see anything changing either. Maybe a move in the vehicle matrix like there was for 2005 taking Rescue from Urban P2 to P1, but I don't think that will change. About the only one I can see happening is bumping Suburban Rescue from P2 to P1, but considering the need for the other trucks I doubt it.

At least it better not change much, I completed some 2006 apps back in mid-November. And I know I'm not the only one.
    Last edited by BC79er; 12-31-2005 at 08:51 PM.

Forum Member

BC

How did you do 06 apps in 05?

MembersZone Subscriber

What he means is he completed working their narratives, or their projects. I have already consulted on numerous '06 projects and started working on many narratives myself. The problem comes from waiting until March, when everyone is down to the wire. All of us, would LOVE to see everyone be ready to submit their entire project the day the app. period opens.

See, every year the three of us (and the ones who apply religiously every year...) cry "get ready", "prepare", "work on your narrative over the winter"...etc, etc. and apparently, not that many listen. Inevitably, we still receive calls and emails up until the weeks and days right before the deadline.

What Brian is suggesting is to utilize the 2005 Guidelines as a...well, a "guide" and be prepared to "tweak" your project if necessary when those PG are released in Jan. or early Feb. (Last year - 05 - was late....just a heads up)

You can do an assessment, write your narrative, have a print out of the Q&A (and then answered on paper), your research completed, and basically, be prepared to answer everying and enter it in come the big day...

So, Happy New Year's! That's (in my opinion...) what everyone's New Years Resolution should be - no procrastination on the grant! Good Luck!
    Last edited by dixiechicknc; 01-01-2006 at 04:05 PM.
    Alana Tomlin Denton
    Freelance Grant Writer/Consultant

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Exactly. The PG won't change enough to affect 99.9% of the projects, so rather than do nothing you're better creating the 2006 app based on the 2005 guidelines and then modifying if need be. The narrative structure they ask for has changed very little, so worse comes to worse, you have to rearrange the narrative as the information needed won't change. For the ones I've done and am doing right now, it will be really easy for me to go back and tweak compared to having to start from scratch on each one.

I especially don't predict many changes because DHS keeps telling everyone to start working early too, so what else can they expect but for us to use the previous year's guidance until the next one comes out?

Forum Member

Ok sports fans; I am all about getting prepared and starting early however I am still at odds about this whole assessment thing.

Is the assesment a formal doucment, if so where do I get one; or can it be informal needs assesment undertaken by a department?

As far as application process; if we were awarded gear in 04; and our numbers have grown and for reasons beyond the grant writers control(me) we only asked for 34 sets of gear, can we apply to outfit the rest of dept?

FH Mag/.com Contributor

The easiest way to do it is to document it, that way it's something that can be referenced, updated, etc, etc. I made the one I give to all of my clients and seminar folks, still modifying it as needed.

You could apply to outfit the rest of the department, and since you could only apply for how many sets as you had people that's expected. Unless you knew it was going to happen, in which case I'm going to need the Megamillions numbers for this coming Tuesday.

Forum Member

Any word on when they will announce the Grant Workshops?

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Normally it's out around now since they usually run a dozen or so of them right up until close to the end of the application period, so I would guess it would be officially announced shortly. I've got the feelers out to see if I'm going to have to travel for one or if it will be close.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Eligible, but not a priority. Doesn't mean it's not possible, but some of those pieces don't cost much in the grand scheme of things. The big thing to remember is that if your matching is going to be more than the cost of a few of the items you're asking for, the question arises: why haven't you bought those already since you say you have the money? Hose testers are the lone expensive piece of what you mentioned, so that's about the only thing that is easily seen as not affordable by most departments.

As a computer professional, you don't need a $1000 machine to do station stuff. The only reason I have P4s at work is because of the hyperthreading and what I do as a software developer. Unless you are going to be 3D gaming or editing video, there's no reason to spend more than a $500 on a complete system. Nowadays, 25% faster means 8ms instead of 10ms, something that a human won't notice. Reporting and maintenance type stuff doesn't need the latest and greatest. Anything over 1gHz is still probably overkill for that type of use.

Plus check around the local businesses. My company buys new machines for us nerds every other year and filters the older units down the food chain, and some eventually out the door. Most normal businesses try to maximize tax breaks so once the 5 year depreciation is over with they get rid of them, so there's plenty of free machines to be had.

And it won't happen soon since it's high grant season and I'm going to be a bit busy (throw in newborn, still waiting), but for a post-it note in the back of your head I will be trying to setup a network to connect companies willing to donate computers to departments that need them instead of tossing them or sending them to auction with other old office equipment. As soon as I get something up and running on my web site to handle requests/donations I'll post it in the forums.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Maryland (but always a Long Islander first)

Default Grant workshops...

"When I was young, my ambition was to be one of the people who made a difference in this world. My hope is to leave the world a little better for my having been there."
    -- Jim Henson (1936 - 1990)

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Hence the reason I only upgrade components and not the entire machine. I've been building my own for many moons, and a lot cheaper over the long run than buying commercial. Hard drives haven't increased RPMs in a long time, and just like processors, the average user will never see the difference in RAM performance speeds. 1gHz or faster, 512MB RAM, 30GB hard drive is more than adequate for FD usage in doing reports.

Heck, most of our development SQL servers are 950mHz P3s, and very little difference in response with at most 50 users beating on it, so for your server you wouldn't need much more than that. Just trying to save you some bucks in that department.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Any router or switch will have a hardware firewall included, hubs are the ones that don't. WinXP has a software firewall built-in, but I still have the wireless router setup as one too just in case.

For inexpensive but still quality wireless stuff look at the CompUSA branded stuff. It's made by RealTek. Same features and quality as Linksys and DLink, only without the price. And it keeps me from crawling through the attic and running Cat 5 out to my garage for the older computer I want to put out there with my woodworking stuff on it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Win Xp

just a word of caution on Win XP - company I work for is getting a few notices from MS about vulnerabilities with the XP system....seems like more than usual

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Which is also why you want to either have automatic updates on (broadband connections) or run weekly checks (dial-up). They issue security updates within a very short time of the holes being found and push them out. WinXP Service Pack 2 is a must also.

Just a reminder from one of your friendly neighborhood Keyboard Jockeys.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default 2006

BC - any NEW ADDITION news yet?????

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Not yet. Making progress in that direction, but not out yet. Should be in the next week (hopefully).

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DianeC
    Still no workshops listed for Illinois though. Guess I'll just keep waiting.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

I have a CCNA
    Man there are just nerds all over the place around here. Luckily, I resemble that remark with an MCSD, just short of an MCDBA & MCAD. I wonder how many people reading this are now lost in alphabet soup.

Peter: Oh my God, Brian! My Alphabits have a message in them. It's says OOOOOOO.
    Brian: Peter those are Cheerios.

Forum Member

Poland, right next to Russia, Town that is.

Peter: Oh my God, Brian! My Alphabits have a message in them. It's says OOOOOOO.
    Brian: Peter those are Cheerios.
    HAHAHAHA, LMAO
    Always confident, ever vigilant.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Not2L84U2
    Still no workshops listed for Illinois though. Guess I'll just keep waiting.
    Illinois is on the list now. Any word on what the cost runs for one of these workshops?

MembersZone Subscriber

The DHS workshops are free, although the workshop is more for the updates on the PG than a workshop on writing grants and such.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Beat me to the post again, eh Alana?

DHS freely admits that they are not workshops on how to write grants, after all 2 hours doesn't even scratch the surface. But they are definitely good to go to because of the potential for PG changes, it will give the opportunity to hear their take on them as well as ask questions to make sure there's no ambiguity about anything. You still want to read everything on your own, but I aim to hit them myself. Since I always say the only time you know you won't learn something is when you don't show up.

There are other seminars that travel around that teach the writing part among other things...

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BC79er
    Beat me to the post again, eh Alana?
    Beat you to it, perhaps due to no alcohol in the system....LOL...just saying, perhaps. Not judging, am jealous....LOL.

I have long since admiitted to attending the DHS workshop every year since 2001 or 2002 (memory is first thing to go, so I hear). I like hearing the interaction from the FDs and people there and the RFPS. It kinda clues me in on problem areas, as well as things that are 'hot' topics. Also, I do learn things. Some years (2005) more than others, and enjoy more than others. I drove out of state last year...

Some of the RFPS are MUCH better at what they do than others, in my opinion. If you find one who does a good seminar, drive to wherever they are, it's worth it. Believe me, the 2 hrs can be REALLY long with someone who isn't worth wasting it. On the other hand, you can learn quite a bit, and find out things about peer, etc. and get some of the RFPS opinion - but not if you don't go!

BTW, Brian, am just kidding about the drinking.... but, if you have had some...am jealous.

MembersZone Subscriber

It might be exactly what I am looking for. Been to a few 'how to write grants...' but would like to hit something that focuses a little more on the AFG itself....deadlines, app info, etc.
    Thanks again

Thread Information