MembersZone Subscriber

Default what exactly is a "1/2 story"?

OK here is a simple question for everyone. What is a "1/2 story"? Is it an unfinished attic type floor or a semi finished floor? Could it be whatever the first arriving unit thinks fits the description of a "1/2 story". Is there a rule as to what makes a "1/2 story"?

Forum Member

I see a half story as anything at less than 8ft. So arriving on scene to find a two full stories, with maybe a 5ft tall attic. That would make it a 2-1/2story.
    FF/NREMT-B

FTM-PTB!!

Brass does not equal brains.

Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

Forum Member

In alot of the older construction around here, there is a 4' crawl space / attic space in the top of the building. We reference these as a 1/2 story.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleMan
    Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

Forum Member

I use it for the second story with a peaked roof (meaning the second story is only the peaked part), where you usually get the narrow middile with knee walls all around.

Forum Member

Whangaparaoa Peninsular North Island New Zealand

Mezzanine.

Forum Member

When the house has been built on a slope and half of one wall is bellow the ground. my house would be a good example, on one side its 2 stories, on the other its 1 1/2.

|....................|
    |.............|------
    |________|

If that diagram makes any sense to you then i commend you greatly
    Last edited by PattyV; 01-02-2006 at 07:39 AM.
    "There are only two things that i know are infinite, the universe and human stupidity. And im not so sure about the former."

For all the life of me, i cant see a firefighter going to hell. At least not for very long. We would end up putting out all the fires and annoying the devil too much.

Forum Member

Attic space large enough to move around in but no windows. We have some peaked roofs around here that are only 1 or 2 feet so it's just dead space. More than that and it's a 1/2 story. If there are windows, we consider that a 3rd story.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoFF
    I use it for the second story with a peaked roof (meaning the second story is only the peaked part), where you usually get the narrow middile with knee walls all around.
    I tend to agree with that adding a 1/2 story is under the peak with dormers.

Thread Killer Extraordinaire!

Forum Member

Default 1/2 story

in our department 1/2 story is considered to be the floor where the roofline goes below the ceiling line(under the peak).since i personally live in an 'A'-frame house,i suppose they would say i live in a 1/2,1/2,1/2 story house.We had this same discussion a couple of years ago in a Fire Officer 1 class.it's surprising how many different definitions there are in just our neighboring departments.happy new year folks.

Forum Member

It is also commonly used around here for garden apts which have 3 floors, but the windows of the first floor are at ground level-garden apts.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by gunnyv
    It is also commonly used around here for garden apts which have 3 floors, but the windows of the first floor are at ground level-garden apts.
    We usually call those garden apartments.

Thread Killer Extraordinaire!

Forum Member

Check this one out. This was discussed with some good info including photos a while back.

1/2 story discussion

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking Hey!! Everbody!! Look!!.............

Quote Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
    A 1/2 story is what you get when you read the paper.
    I AGREE WITH TH!..... (Get out the Foul Weather Gear, it's gonna rain...)
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Vincent Dunn just emailed me his answer. He feels that a 1/2 story is an attic not a living space. I feel that a half story is a story that doesn't have full height ceilings and totally living space thourghout the story.

MembersZone Subscriber

Another take on the 1/2 story:

I live in a 100 year old American foursquare house with 11' downstairs ceilings and 9' upstairs ceilings. The stairs in the central hallway go up to the back wall of the main section of the house to a landing, turn, and then continue up to the second floor. Just off of the landing is a bathroom with an 7.5' ceiling (with another bathroom right under the landing, also with a 7.5 foot ceiling). The landing bathroom is literally between the first and second floors and is known (in my area at least) as a 1/2 story.

The bathrooms are partially incorporated into the kitchen ell, but project out of one side of the gable roof over the kitchen.
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

Forum Member

After framing houses for a while, we classed a Story and a half house as those with the entire upstairs being under the roof. A true two story will have the roof on top of second floor walls visible from the outside.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by PENNDEL
    Vincent Dunn just emailed me his answer. He feels that a 1/2 story is an attic not a living space. I feel that a half story is a story that doesn't have full height ceilings and totally living space thourghout the story.
    Eveyone can have their opinion, but a half story is whatever the hell you call them where you are. Here it's one thing, there it's another. I don't think this one has a definative answer.

MembersZone Subscriber

We consider it an attic converted to a living area, usually an extra bedroom...which is something to keep in mind when responding to this type of structure. Also, many times in order to make it look more like a bedroom, the walls are squared up to get rid of the angled looks from the former attic ceiling...which creates a big void in the walls for fire spread. That's what we go by in my response area.

FDIC has a classroom session titled "Killer in the Attic" that discusses fire in half stories. It's a great lecture if you get the opportunity to attend one of their conferences.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SeavilleFire
    We consider it an attic converted to a living area, usually an extra bedroom...which is something to keep in mind when responding to this type of structure. Also, many times in order to make it look more like a bedroom, the walls are squared up to get rid of the angled looks from the former attic ceiling...which creates a big void in the walls for fire spread. That's what we go by in my response area.
    Same here. We call them knee walls (the walls to square the peaked walls). I don't know if that is an official term or just something from here.

Forum Member

When I lived in Georgia, we had a split-level house. Here is a pic of what they consider 1/2 story there. I couldn't get it to upload horizontal. Just tilt your head a little.

In case the pic doesn't work... you have a basement. Go up 7 stairs to the living area and kitchen. turn around and go up 10 stairs to the area over the basement to the rooms.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFTrainer
    Check this one out. This was discussed with some good info including photos a while back.

1/2 story discussion
    With all due respect to Vincent Dunn.

Dalmation90's post is the correct answer....the log home pictured in the

post before it is a 1 1/2 story with basement.

I used to live in one !

Thread Information