Thread: ATV grant..HELP

Forum Member

Post ATV grant..HELP

I am writing a ATV grant for one of the departments I am on... I am wanting to know if anyone has gotten a ATV grant and if so could you E-mail me a copy of that grant to: shanerigney@bellsouth.net

Thanks
    Shane

Forum Member

It is a Kentucky Division of Forestry grant

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Don't believe so, they're kinda low on the totem pole in the grand scheme of things.

Nebo, the advice I'd give for that program isn't any different than the advice I'd give for any other, including AFG. Make sure you read the full app, the guidance docs, make sure you understand what they are looking for and be sure that your situation fits. The instant you start stretching your situation to fit a somewhat inflexible program, it's easy to spot in any written portion, whether it be short answer questions or a narrative. If I had to venture a guess they want to know what you'd use it for, about how many times you'd use it in a normal year, and why you haven't bought one yet yourself if it's needed so badly. The latter is usually the stumbling block for most people, since it's a tough, straightforward question that many can't answer because they don't have firsthand knowledge of the spending. If you don't, get it.

Good luck, and shoot me a note offline if you have any questions you don't want to ask here.

- Brian

Forum Member

try U.S. Smokeless tobacco. They give away Polaris Rangers now i believe.
    "Let's Roll." Todd Beamer 9/11 first soldier in the war on terror

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America. And to the republic for which it stands ONE NATION UNDER GOD indivisible,with liberty, and justice for all.

I.A.C.O.J. Probie and darn proud of it.

MembersZone Subscriber

The deadline on the Polaris grant program with US Smokeless program is this FRIDAY (Jan 6), meaning it has to be in THEIR hand by that date... so, tomorrow or Wed. is the deadline, in reality, considering the mail/Fed-Ex.

And if you're applying through your state's forrestry, might as well try for the one through US Smokeless Tobacco.

http://www.ussmokeless.com/operation_ranger.cfm

You can also submit any necessary supporting documents (such as photos, newspaper articles, videos, etc.) to assist you in convincing them of your need.

This year, the application is a document you can manipulate (and type - fill out) online, but still have to print off and mail in, to be eligible. Good Luck!
    Alana Tomlin Denton
    Freelance Grant Writer/Consultant

Forum Member

According to the application for the Polaris Ranger Grant it says that it has to be POSTMARKED by the 6th. I hope this is correct because I don't think we are going to get our video back from the community college until tomorrow.

MembersZone Subscriber

The Polaris Ranger Grant proposals must be postmarked by midnight January 6th.

MembersZone Subscriber

Sorry, their website says "receive applications until the 6th" - actual app says "postmarked by the 6th"... Make sure you do receipt with the mail...

MembersZone Subscriber

Default ATV grant

website also indicates that some of the 2006 allotment has already been released for Katrina/Rita affected departments

Forum Member

I had heard that they originally had 72 vehicles available and now after Katrina they have 60. I can't even begin to immagine how competitive this is going to be. Anyone know how many applicants they usually have? Going to the community college after work tonight for the final review of our video, so looks like we'll make it in plenty of time.

Forum Member

Yeah, no such luck talking this guy out of applying. Narrative has been written ever since I first read about the program in these Forums and I previewed the video last night and it looks pretty good. All I have to do is drop it in the mail this Friday and we are done. Nice try though

MembersZone Subscriber

Smile A Belated 'Attaboy', TrojanHorse!

"THE DEADLIEST WORDS EVER SPOKEN TO A YOUNG FIREFIGHTER FROM AN OLD FIREFIGHTER..."SON, WE'VE ALWAYS DONE IT THIS WAY..NO NEED TO CHANGE IT.."

Amen to that, TrojanHorse;

This is just a post to you, personally, to thank you for sharing such sentiments with us all; and, also, to support your effort to get our younger bretheren to become people who will "think outside of the box" from the very start of their careers. I've been wanting to say so to you for some time now; I'm only just getting around to doing it today, though. Here's to you, TrojanHorse!

Forum Member

Just finished my video Monday, and the narrative today. Will be sending Priority w/ receipt. The video is ok, but I couldn't do any fancy transitions or music backgroundl just voice background. So probably won't hold too much water with the reviewers.

How many are sending in videos? DVD or tape?

I just hope the twenty hours in the edit bay doesn't go without reward......
    BAClair

MembersZone Subscriber

Give your bellsouth email addy I assume you are in the SE. US Army has 3x Gator available thru FEPP surplus system at present. Located Ft Stewart Ga.

Get ahold of your state forester and tell them to req.

4 WHEEL GATOR 232000GATOR W81YB553565002 x3.

I don't know the condition so you may have to do a kitbash of three units together to get something usable. Or they may all be ready for junkyard. Or the may all be decent usable as is. Don't know.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
    He He,, we couldn't afford a video, so we got some still pictures. But hey, you are in Il. so your probably aren't competing with us anyway. It looks like they disperse the darn things pretty equally by state. Good Luck in your quest.
    Didn't realize they distributed equally by state, but that's a good thing I guess. Hopefully we will be competitive.

I actually took the advice of someone on here and hit up our local community college and they invited us in and did some conversations with me and the fire chief and then they sent one of their students out and took some video of the area, combined that with some still pictures of maps, newspaper clippings, and various other still photos. The video isn't high tech but it is still very professional looking and I think they did a very good job. Especially for free.

Our movies are on DVD format

MembersZone Subscriber

Damn it does my heart good to see peopel who take advice seriously. Way to go all of you who were smart enough to do the videos and photos too. This is one of the only grants out there that will allow that and believe me, a picture is worth a thousand words, so a 5 minute video is worth about 20K in narrative. Good luck to all of you and I hope to see several of your names on that award list.
    Kurt Bradley
    Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
    " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Forum Member

Kurt, the only issue I had was the fact that the narrative and video said about the same thing. It's hard to narrate a video using new words and key points. My personal justification was that if the video failed, at least there would be a backup for the panel. For the narrative, I included a few pics of what could be done with the vehicle instead of what is being seen. The hope is that they review both the video and the narrative to see all angles.
    Granted, the video I shot was killer footage of our ATV park; deep inside the woods and creeks with live riding going on around me.
    This is always the part I hate...once I send it, there is nothing I can change; a word, a phrase, point of emphasis. I always get pessimistic right after the envelope is sealed. Give it a few days, and I'll forget about it.
    BAClair

FH Mag/.com Contributor

This is always the part I hate...once I send it, there is nothing I can change; a word, a phrase, point of emphasis. I always get pessimistic right after the envelope is sealed. Give it a few days, and I'll forget about it.
    Not a person in here is any different. As long as there's always forward progress and the drive to make improvements, everything gets better. And it could be worse: you could be worrying about a hundred or more like some of us.

MembersZone Subscriber

4caster, I think you did fine with it. BC79er you are SSSSOOOOO right!
    Kurt Bradley

MembersZone Subscriber

Well it's time to put this puppy to bed. Narrative printed out. Professional PowerPoint presentation (yeah, right) completed. Everything packaged ready to mailed on the way home.

Something to think about. Anyone that did something above and beyond the written narrative (CD, DVD, video or pictures) has a clear advantage over those that did not. You already demonstrated the need by taking the extra time and effort to produce something that was above and beyond what they required.

MembersZone Subscriber

onebugle,
    Good point!
    Kurt Bradley

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Atv

KB - saw the video tip too late for my submittal. I submitted for my recreational home community dept. and if not successful this year - will defininelty have something ready for next

one thing i did included were several maps - community is isolated, is surrounded on two sides by the back sides of state parks, and has 13 miles of unpaved roads and an equal number of recreational ATV, dirt bikes and snowmobile trails. Wildfire and emergency response calls are nightmares - one of these will beat out a rescue engine for getting deep into the brush!!!!!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

We did a fly over the district last year, and included that in our package, but getting it was an act of Congress, due to the High Target Hazards within the district, the quality wasn't that great, and you could forget any voice-over, due to the single engine noise. It didn't help, so this year, we scrapped that, and went with still photos. Besides, several of the areas within our district you can't take even still photos of, without getting the handcuffs and a nice interview with the suits....LOL. Even for the FD. We tried working that last year.

So, forced to rely on a bang-up (much better than last year) narrative, still photos, and hopefully enough info they realize we're good. Most of the pics were of a newly re-opened county park (110 acres) in our district, has 5 drop offs each of more than 70+ feet, no way to get trucks, gear, etc. into the park. Elevation changes of more than 114+ feet, and densely wooded, is the only unlogged land in our district that has been preserved since before 1900. The other photos were of the more than 6000 unaccessable acres (by fire apparatus) and the only way into them is muddy dirt roads/lanes.

Good Luck everyone!

MembersZone Subscriber

Well to everyone that applied to USSTC and Polaris good luck. I hope that all of you remembered that one of the things they were looking for in this grant is "good pr". USSTC gets a lot of bad publicity due too the anti-tobacco lobby, so in the question marked " anything else you would like us to know" you should have put in the makeup of a huge publicity campaign if awarded. Hopefully you also mentioned that you would graciously acknowledge USSTC and Polaris with graphics on the vehicle etc.. I saw many departments missing the "tipoff" with the questions about the TV stations and newpapers which should have raised a red flag to all, that they were looking for the publicity here. At any rate, it is all water under the bridge as of tomorrow at 5:00PM. Good luck to everyone!
    Kurt Bradley

MembersZone Subscriber

Here's the latest info about the USSTC Operation Ranger program from their website.

Operation Ranger Program Response Best Yet

Applications now closed for 2006 awards of versatile utility vehicles

Once again, the response of the nation’s emergency services community to the U.S. Smokeless Tobacco Company’s Operation Ranger donation program has been outstanding. Well over 2,100 applications were submitted by the Jan. 6, 2006 deadline, a substantial increase over 2005. Applications postmarked by the deadline are in consideration for awards of Polaris Ranger 6x6 utility vehicles in this calendar year.

All applications received by the deadline are being acknowledged by mail. For consideration in 2007, new applications will be required. Please check this site in the fall of this year for instructions and the new application form.

U.S. Smokeless Tobacco Company expects to award approximately 60 utility vehicles in three rounds of awards throughout this year. Winning organizations will be notified by phone and through the mail. Organizations ultimately not selected will be notified by mail. Delivery of the utility vehicle to successful applicants will be made through the closest Polaris dealer, usually within four to eight weeks of notification. Please continue to check this website for updates.

Alot of competition for 60 vehicles. Good luck to all that applied.

Thread Information