Thread: Crossfit

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Crossfit

Is anyone doing this program? If so, I would like your opinions on it. As a former PT geek from the military, it just doesn't seem like enough, but I have not tried it yet. It looks interesting though.

Forum Member

http://www.crossfitkc.com/

I have been following the crossfit workouts scaled to my ability for approx 3 months. Start today with the WOD (workout of the day). I posted the link for the Kansas City crossfit group. Read the message board on the crossfit website.

Although I am newbie to the program I have seen vast improvements in my strength and endurance especially while working on the fireground.

Contact me if you have any questions.

Julie

Forum Member

I second what zeekie43 said. I've noticed strength, cardio and agility gains since starting October '05. The workout of the day's are deceiving. They kick our *****es on a regular basis. Keep with the program for at least 2 months and you'll see results guaranteed.

We are so into it that we made some shirts and got posted on the site 3/10/06.

Aloha,
    Craig

MembersZone Subscriber

I have been doing this program for two months if you truly stick to form and complete the workouts it is a true a** kicking, it doesn't look like much but most routines are continuous with out much break, almost combining your cardio and weight lifting, it is perfect for the FD most routines can be completed in twenty minutes hopefully in between runs..

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Crossfit works

You have to try it for yourself. I doesnt look like much but it is the best workout for our job in my opinion. It includes strength, endurance, and cardio training. WOD (work out of the days) are on the website crossfit.com everyday.

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking crossfit

Just completed the workout of the day(www.crossfit.com) today workout was:
    135 dead lifts for 15 reps, quarter of a mile run, 15 decline situps complete cycle 5 times without rest...may not look like much till after your done and dripping with sweat..took me about 30 minutes

Forum Member

capcityffyter is right. Yesterday's WOD kicked my ***** also. Actually it kicked my abs. The prescribed GHD sit up is a killer. I used our hyperextension contraption set up against our apparatus and locked my feet into it just above one of our cabinet doors and it worked like a charm. Today is another story, my abs feel like I just went a few rounds with Mike Tyson.

CrossFit is completely deceiving. It lures you in and before you realize it, you're hooked and sore. BTW, were were lucky enough to be on the CF website a few days ago. CrossFit Waikele - Honolulu Fire Dept.'s. Unofficial Workout!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

What do you all do to learn the techiques, I feel like some of the exercises I dont get right

Forum Member

so all you have to do is the "workout of the day" thats it how quickly do you see results?

Forum Member

You have various sources on that one website. Start with the FAQ page then the 'Exercises' page, Message Board Fourm under 'Exercises' or 'WOD' and lastly the comments section under each WOD.

Usually one of those will give you the answer. Posting questions on the comments section gets you re-directed to one of the other pages I listed. Hope this helps.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks, I have used them previously, still I find it difficult to learn technique from a video, anyhow I just substitute another workout if the wod is unfamiliar

Forum Member

Capcity, I am by no means an expert, but which exercises in particular give you trouble? Perhaps I can help.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default wod

100 pullups 100 pushups 100 situps 100 squats felt great cant move today hope we dont have any fires above the second floor tommorrow lol

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking lovin' crossfit!

A few of us started the program at work in February and have shown excellent results doing the work out of the days (WOD) posted on www.crossfit.com. I personally have lost a significant amount of body fat...probably initial water content...but have gained muscle mass and cardio endurance over the last couple of months.

We have a few stragglers that have come on board with us, and now most of the shift is crossfitting on and off the job. We work a 48/96 shift, so we get a couple of the WODs in during out work tour. I think the program is very conducive to the demands of our job.

The comments section under the WOD is excellent at explaining the workout. The hardest WOD's so far are "Linda" and the "Filthy 50." The boys from Waikele, Honolulu Fire Dept listed on crossfit and posting here in this forum kick some serious butt on the "Linda" WOD video! Awesome!
    Last edited by cofirecpt; 05-30-2006 at 07:46 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Cross fit seems fun to me...

truthfully, there are 3 important factors in training:

1. effectiveness: does it get alot done, lots of muscle groups at once?
    2. Fun/interesting: does it keep you coming back?
    3. Safety: are you liable to hurt yourself?

What I have seen of the cross fit exercises, I found certainly did 1 and 2. I think #3 can go either way with bigger/more complex exercises. Form is really important. The burden is one you to pick what is safe for you. If all the the exercises they provide are explained properly, and are safe when done that way, then everything should be great, right? I have not seen them all, so I can't comment on that part.

Dr. Jen
    www.fireagility.com
    Last edited by Drjmilus; 05-09-2006 at 02:30 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Well, been doing it for a couple of months now and I am sold. I do the WODs but still throw in some ruck marches every now and then. This is better than anything I've done previously. And it's free!

Forum Member

Tried crossfit recently and think it's great. I'm still going to mix it up with some extra cardio and a weekly visit to my personal trainer, but I think this will give me the kind of functional fitness I am looking for. Crossfit definitely keeps me from loitering between sets like I tend to do when I'm working out by myself.

MembersZone Subscriber

You said it best Rookiemove, FUNCTIONAL fitness. I have not been doin Crossfit long, but for our job, it seems to be great. Already noticing differences. And the WOD's are great for staying interested! I can't wait to do tommorrows!! We have started to get a few more guys on the program.

As far as doing the excercises properly. If you work out in the gym off duty..the guys there may be able to help to show you proper, safe way of doing the excercises. A lot are simple, but a few need very specific form.

All in all, I am hooked on Crossfit like I've never been hooked on a workout before!

DJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up

I was also a pt geek, the marine infantry you kinda have no choice, I love the workout because of the time factor in the gym. some days are longer than others. My recommendation is ween yourself into it, some days you don't even touch a weight, but others incorporate the olympic lifts that require a little more work to proficient/safe. but it comes fairly quickly. I started some of the lifts with just the bar, I have no shame, but was quickly getting the hang of things. DJ has come along quite nicely. I agree that this type of workout is geared more towards this line of work, I have noticed big benefits doing search related work, as well as lower body type stuf...Hose drag, dummy drag, aerial climbs. all in all good time for time, pound for pound workout.

Forum Member

Thumbs up

I've been adding some of the WOD from X-fit in with my workouts too. I like it. I have to scale back their workout in order to make it doable but it's still intense. I like seeing FF, LE, and military endorsing it.

Forum Member

Here's an example of the progress I'm getting with crossfit. I pretty much run a 10 minute mile, a little faster if I really work. I've been doing crossfit (in addition to jogging) for about 2 months now. I went for a jog today and without even pushing myself ran 2 miles in 17:20. The effort felt the same as a 10 min. mile used to, and I've actually been doing less running than I used to. I didn't really understand about "VO2 max" until I started doing crossfit. As I do the crossfit workouts, I realized the kind of effort they require are similar to fireground operations. My strength is also increasing and I'm getting leaner. I used to do the 3x a week standard weight workout and 3 jogs a week, but am getting way better results by integrating crossfit into my fitness plan. I can't recommend it enough.

Forum Member

I've know about crossfit and been doing occassional CF workouts for more than a year now, and I've been sticking to the 3on/1off schedual for about 1 1/2 months now (strict) and I can't say more good about it! It's moldable to anything you're doing, it's the perfect GPP. The only things I've added more of to it are sprint intervals. On days like tomorrow (ME lift day, not too taxing compared to METCON days), I'll add a group of 3-6 30 second all-out sprints. I've done them twice and already noticing a difference in my cadio ability during WODs. If you want to physically be the best firefighter you can, you'll look into crossfit.
    -Josh Brehm

www.crossfit.com

Thread Information