MembersZone Subscriber

Default CNY Fire Department Walk Out

Volunteer firefighters in Lee Center walk out
    1/2/2006 11:48 PM
    By: News 10 Now Web Staff

All 35 volunteer firefighters in the Oneida County Town of Lee Center have turned in their gear, and Chief Kenneth Baker Junior says they have decided not to respond to any calls.

The move follows the fire commission's decision Monday night not to approve the chief, or the first and second assistant chiefs. No word what prompted that decision.

So what does this mean for those of you living in Lee center? Oneida County 911 tells us that every fire department has a mutual aid policy in place, which means nearby fire departments would respond if need be.

Lee Center is 52 miles from Syracuse, NY
    Chris Shields
    Lieutenant / EMT
    Haz-Mat Technician
    East Syracuse Fire Dept
    Onondaga County, NY

Forum Member

Before everyone jumps on the "firefighters don't walk out" bandwagon, I have to ask: WHY DID THE COMMISIONERS NOT APPROVE THE CHIEF OFFICERS? If it is the departments job to select who leads them, and they selected who they wanted to, but the commisioners said no, why?

further, are the commisioners legally permitted to do this? where I come from, fire commisioners are primarily responsible for financial oversight. The department actually has a contract with the district to provide fire protection. So the department operates as it so choses, as follows it's own bylaws (as well as the rules of the districts). The district has no say, except for maybe the approval of the Chief of the Department, because a justification can be made that he or she operates as a representative and extention of the district.

Final thought: the commisioners obviously don't trust their firefighters to select their own leadership, why should they trust the firefighters to fire fires and protect their district?
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Forum Member

Yup, screw the people you are supposed to be protecting, someone else will take your calls. WHY are they firefighters?

Here's a novel idea, elect new commissioners. You will never justify a walkout to me. It will solve nothing and the FD will look like cry babies in the end.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Just saw this thread a minute ago ... started by someone in that department.

http://forums.firehouse.com/showthread.php?t=77184
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member

NY State Town Laws, s716 (I don't how to make that fancy legal "s")

Fire commissioners powers include:
    10. May organize, operate, maintain and equip fire companies,
    including the purchase of uniforms to be used by the members of such
    companies, and provide for the removal of such members for cause.

and
    11-a. The members of the fire department of the fire district shall
    meet at a time and place designated by the board of fire commissioners
    ...to nominate persons for the offices of chief and such assistant chiefs as
    may be provided for in the rules and regulations adopted by the board of
    fire commissioners.

...The person acting as secretary of
    such meeting shall promptly notify the fire district secretary in
    writing of such nominations. The board of fire commissioners at its
    meeting next succeeding the making of such nominations shall consider
    the same and shall appoint such persons to the offices to which they
    have been respectively nominated or, if a nomination is not approved the
    board of fire commissioners shall call another meeting of the members of
    the fire department at which a new nomination shall be made to take the
    place of any nomination not approved, which procedure shall continue
    until a full set of officers is approved. Any such person shall assume
    the duties of his office as soon as he has been appointed thereto by the
    board of fire commissioners and shall serve until his successor is
    appointed.

I'm not a lawyer, and there could be a fair bit of case law to add to / clarify the statutes in NY. And the law is very, very wordy as it is.

But the statute sure reads that the Fire Companies do not elect their Chief -- they "nominate" them and the Commissioners appoint someone nominated. Now, they may go round-and-round until the fire company nominates someone the commissioners are willing to accept.

And the old Chief is Chief until a new is appointed, unless they're specifically removed for cause (arson, unspecified causes, etc).

I posted #10 here to for one good reason -- talk about shooting yourself in the foot. Sorry, I seldom support or see job actions like this working. You see these situations in the news 2 or 3 times every year, and I think I've only seen one that was "won" by the firefighters.

If there was a dispute, take it to the lawyers if you think it's unlawful, take it to the ballot box if you think it's political. Or do both.

By turning in their gear and openly refusing to respond, the members sure just gave any Commissioners they're ****ing with the grounds to invoke the "removal of such members for cause" clause. Commissioners could very easily now just turn around and say, "We have no members, the department therefore is ineffective, so we're contracting with xyz effective immediately, changing the station locks, and assigning the equipment to another department."

MembersZone Subscriber

Angry

More proof of why elected officers should not be allowed. Too much bias, nepotism, good ole boys, etc. Any one who must supervise anyone or any operation in this business should be forced to take tests to prove their competance, be they verbal, written of performance based.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SIGNAL99COM
    Volunteer firefighters in Lee Center walk out
    1/2/2006 11:48 PM
    By: News 10 Now Web Staff

All 35 volunteer firefighters in the Oneida County Town of Lee Center have turned in their gear, and Chief Kenneth Baker Junior says they have decided not to respond to any calls.

The move follows the fire commission's decision Monday night not to approve the chief, or the first and second assistant chiefs. No word what prompted that decision.

So what does this mean for those of you living in Lee center? Oneida County 911 tells us that every fire department has a mutual aid policy in place, which means nearby fire departments would respond if need be.

Lee Center is 52 miles from Syracuse, NY
    I know that at least in my county a fire officer trained in NIMS/ICS is needed to request mutual aid. This came up in previous issues in other towns where the town supervisors stated they would invoke the mutual aid plan, when in fact they cannot. I do not know if this is a state wide thing.
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Firefighter
    IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

Thread Information