Forum Member

Default Waterbury is taking applications

Waterbury Fire Dept. is accepting applications ...although I don't think we will be hiring anytime soon. The city needs to replace the list since the old one expired years ago. Deadline for applications is January 20.

Here is a link for a PDF file with all the info:
    http://www.waterburyct.org/filestora...OMPETITIVE.pdf

Forum Member

seems that they dont do the oral interview testing phase, kinda weird, maybe if they dont expect to hire they wont bother with that part of it.

is it true that they dont have a retirement fund?

Forum Member

i dont doubt that, ive heard a rumor that it could be anywhere from 0 hired (more likely) or 30 highly unlikely. I noticed that too no interview...who knows 100 bones to apply though, danbury was only 75 hmmmmm. well have to see

Forum Member

Yeah I'm a bit skeptical to apply. $100 is alot of money and the last thing I heard from Waterbury a couple of years ago was that they were laying off people. I hate to miss a testing opportunity

Forum Member

I heard that they didn't layoff anyone but they did close a house and shifted guys around.
    They did recieve a raise but it was accompanied with a 30% raise in work hours.

Forum Member

Default Move on!!

Waterbury is a great dept and I applaud every guy that works there but a word of advice to anyone that is considering applying, move on! This dept still has its fair share of political problems and any "new hire" can't feel secure with his/her job. There's a lot of depts that will be hiring this spring so just hold out. Normally I'd say to take the test for the experience but a $100 is a lot to put up for just a test.

MembersZone Subscriber

Last edited by Johnny141415; 06-08-2006 at 05:40 PM.

Forum Member

I also agree that $100 is alot of money for the test. I think they are really going to deter alot of good people from taking it just for that fact alone. Add to it the financial diffculties the city has had, and the hit we took in our last few contracts...it will be hard to attract good candidates. On the other hand if fewer people apply and take the test, the better the chance you'll rank well on the list.

The city never closed a firehouse... but they changed our schedule from a 4 platoon to a 3 platoon, hence increasing our work week from 42 hours to 53.

We still have a retirement fund although it is underfunded. Past corrupt mayors have taken money from this account to balance their budgets... and did not contribute the city's share into our pension fund. This is the biggest problem the city faces today and one of the main reasons that the mil rate is so high.

With the state oversight board scheduled to leave this year, we hope to regain some of what we lost in our next contract which will be in 2008.

Thread Information