Thread: Scba

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Scba

I am writing for new SCBA in 06. I was wondering if anybody out there had recieved an award and be willing to share some tips and pointers. If so please email it to me at jseidl@butlerfire.org. Thank you in advance.

Forum Member

Love to, but 3 years running my SCBA request has been deemed not important enough.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

I'll forward you my successful grant narrative for this year. We received 18 new SCBA's and 2 RIT Bags. If you need anything else, reply to my email. Good luck!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Scba

Yankee, would you mind sharing the narrative with me as well??

MembersZone Subscriber

We were awarded this year for 16 SCBA w/ spare bottles and a SCBA Compressor system.

$86k award.

PM me if you would like a copy of the narrative.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

I've got 8 out on my web site: www.firegraphics.org. I think I have a couple more people sent me to post too, I'll have to add them.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 298lieut
    Yankee, would you mind sharing the narrative with me as well??
    What's your addy?

Forum Member

I would love to get those narratives, too. Please send them to frftr28@yahoo.com. Thanks!

MembersZone Subscriber

When you write for your SCBA grant dont forget to include a fit tester in your request.

Forum Member

Default laundry list?

I read over some of those narratives and am slightly perplexed. It sounds like what we are in need of other people were awarded. We have been worried, though, that asking for too much would just sound like a "laundry list" and not get awarded.
    We really need to replace SCBA and have no spare bottles. We also would like to add to that individual face pieces for each ACTIVE member as well as new turn out gear for those members and a gear washer for the new gear. Our old gear is wearing out, I feel, primarily because we have no real way to properly wash and care for it.
    Is something like this going to be tossed if we apply? should we limit what we are asking for on these things?

MembersZone Subscriber

I'd say the SCBA and PPE (and gear washer) wouldn't qualify as a 'laundry list' request as they are two high priority items, and the washer can easily be justified for prolonging the life of the gear.
    To give an example, in 2004 I threw everything and the kitchen sink in our request (roof ladder, vent saw, traffic pre-emptors, etc) along with a full compliment of PPE. We made it to peer review and the last round of 'Dear John's' before getting rejected.
    Last year I eliminated everything but the PPE and washer and we received an award. I learned the hard way, but the end result was nice. Now as a disclaimer, its like what my financial planner says, "Past performance doesn't guarantee future gains." (hmmm and I think he's in Hawaii right now). I'm not guaranteeing that if you apply for that you'll get awarded, but I don't think it will hurt your chances.
    If I've learned anything from that experience, and also from the guru's in this forum, you have to analyze the request and only put in for the true 'needs' and not all of the 'wants'.
    Randy Solly
    Ivyland Fire Company

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Laundry lists depend on the department and application. Some departments can ask for 5 different items and be funded. Some are only competitive for one. Many I've been working with so far are only going to be competitive for PPE or SCBA, because they've been denied after review asking for both.

SCBA with masks for all is not a laundry list because they are one project. The gear washer is another project. And depending on how much you'd be spending to match on that SCBA project determines the overall need. So if you'd be matching $7500 on a $150K SCBA project, and you say the money is in the bank, that $5K gear washer must not be that important because you have the money and aren't spending it on something you claim to need so badly. Now if you ask for PPE, gear washer is a different project, but it's closely related in order to care for the PPE. Plus PPE costs less overall, so on 30 sets of gear you're looking at $60K project, $3K match, so now it's not so easy to sit on the other side and say you can afford to buy the gear washer because you don't have the money for it.

It all depends on your department and your individual needs. The best thing to do is forget about what other people have gotten awarded in the past, because you're not competing against those projects anymore. You're competing against 15,000+ new projects. So the game changes every year, and it is very rare to succeed in the same manner as someone else.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DellroyVFD08
    sound like a "laundry list"
    I'm interested in what the opinion is myself as one of the departments I am working with this year wanted to go after PPE, gear washer, SCBA's, spare bottles, individual face peices, mounting brackets, and upgrades to their compressor. I talked them into go after just the PPE side of things so it wouldn't sound like a laundry list. So that it was just one very specific area we were focusing on. If they had applied for everything they wanted the request was going to be some where around $130K, but just by focusing on PPE we cut it down to 60K or less.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BC79er
    Laundry lists depend on the department and application. Some departments can ask for 5 different items and be funded. Some are only competitive for one. Many I've been working with so far are only going to be competitive for PPE or SCBA, because they've been denied after review asking for both.
    Thanks Brian! That clears things up a lot. I guess I never really broke it down to the point of having the funds to match vs. using them to outright buy something requested. Do you recommend sticking with either gear / gear washer OR SCBA rather than both? That's the approach I've taken on it but I've had several others on the department say if we're going to apply we should apply for all of it at once.

Also...any luck on MES getting a rep in Ohio?

Forum Member

As always, Brian's on top of it. Those are the exact reasons why I talked our department out of applying for both. To be more competitive. Not only is it a justification issue but it is also a public perception issue. Either I can sit here and say that I (ok not me personally...speaking figuratively here) handed out 15 awards for $560 million or I can say that I handed out 1500 awards for $560 million. Because you have to look at the cost benefit side of things. I can help 2 departments for the same amount that we were asking for in that $130K. It's just a dollar and sense thing. Plus it gives the public the perception that they are helping soooo many departments because they are increasing their numbers of awards.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Ryan brings up a great point there with that. If people backed down from the "this might be my only shot" approach, they'd not only be more likely to succeed in one year, but in all years. Not that many departments are going to be funded every year. Some are because they have huge needs and only go after that 1 item on the top of the list for any given year. But the less everyone tries to reach for the stars the more likely the award, the more awards are given out.

Dellroy, no OH rep yet, sorry. They just opened the one in the northwest, and are going to CA next. 36 states covered, but since they have to get manufacturer approval for each area it takes a bit. I believe they're aiming for all 50 by year end.

Forum Member

Ok just so I am not wandering off the reservation...

Based on what Brian posted above:

Going for PPE / SCBA w/masks, spare bottles and a gear washer is acceptable if you dont have the funds; however if you have the funds to match the award then your sorta jammin your self becuase if ya had it in the bank in the 1st place, ya should have bought the gear washer.

While I understand the concept(buy it if ya got the cash) I dont understand why it would hurt you if you have funds to match?

As a side note: I wish I knew how to make a previous post appear in the cool box

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Use the Quote Button instead of the Reply Button. It will quote the entire post that you click the button on. So you can Quote something other than the last post.

Or do what I do which is type in [ quote ]..... [/ quote ] without the spaces. The dots are what you want quoted. It doesn't put the poster's ID at the top of it, but it still grays out the quote. Same way I type the rolleyes with : at the beginning and end. If you ever do the Advanced Reply, that's actually what goes into the postings when you click the Face icons.

Nerds. Everbody needs one.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BC79er
    Use the Quote Button instead of the Reply Button. It will quote the entire post that you click the button on. So you can Quote something other than the last post.

Or do what I do which is type in [ quote ]..... [/ quote ] without the spaces. The dots are what you want quoted. It doesn't put the poster's ID at the top of it, but it still grays out the quote. Same way I type the rolleyes with : at the beginning and end. If you ever do the Advanced Reply, that's actually what goes into the postings when you click the Face icons.

Nerds. Everbody needs one.
    hmmmm like this?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by AFD2181
    hmmmm like this?
    SHAZAMMM......... for those old enough to remember the red leotarded super hero that travel in a winnebego?

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Hong Kong Phooey? Grape Ape? Plasticman? Thundar the Barbarian?!

I know, Captain Marvel. Although I liked Captain Caveman myself. And Son!

Forum Member

CAPTAINNNN CAAAAAAVEEE MAAAAAAANN!!! and son

Forum Member

Ahhh....the good ole days.......

A bit off topic....but; who remembers the name of the Gold Plated super hero that fought godzilla?

Forum Member

Was it Gold Member??? No....wait....that was a different movie

Forum Member

I am thinking of the same era as Johnny Sako, ya know the actor in the foam suit, fighting a space creature in a model town.

Thread Information