Forum Member

Default fundraising in tiny company

I belong to 3 companies. Two of them are working on combining to save funds. Does anyone have any ideas for fundraisers in tiny towns (about 200 people living in the area the 2 companies cover)?

Right now we have a monthly lotto ticket that earns very little. We were doing bingo but, no one was coming, so it discontinued. We are desperate, cannot even afford gas for the cans, or blades for the saws.

MembersZone Subscriber

firerescue, I am a volunteer in a combo dept in TX. My "real" job is running a small nonprofit and as a fundraising consultant--I have 14 years experience as a fundraiser. Email me at paulmarsh@satx.rr.com and let me know your location. Perhaps I can give you a few ideas.

Forum Member

Out of curiousity ,how many apparatus , and of what type,do these companies operate?

What would be retained,under this consolidation?

What is your manpower situation?

Does either of your companies operate a social hall?

I have been a member of several fire/EMS organizations over the past 31
    years , and have seen various methods that worked well, but in some cases , depended on some of the resources at hand.If you can get fairly accurate
    answers to my above questions ,I'll reply with some ideas that I have seen work , taking resources available into consideration.

Forum Member

most people love chocolate and these people have some other stuff that works

they sell worlds finest chocolate brand

www.efundraising.com

what is you're annual budget

helping or own can help if you're bugget is not very much

Forum Member

please excuse the spelling, i must have been asleep when i relied to this

Forum Member

In my previous post , I asked for info on your dept.'s resources.Perhaps
    you haven't had time to respond or may even be embarassed to reply- don't
    be embarassed! The fact that you are a member of these companies who wants , sincerely to improve things is something to hold your head up and be proud of.

Some suggestions-resource availability IS a factor in some of these:
    1. Pool Fills-Do you have a tanker?Tanker/pumper? My co. charges about $300 a shot to fill in-ground pools in our district (slightly higher in near-by districts) A great public service allowing your folks to train new firefighters and drivers in water transfer in a low stress environment! I believe my company made about $18,000 in 2005 ,performing this service! Manpower wise
    you need ,at minimum, a driver and a helper.

2.Controlled Burnings- Check with your Licensing/Inspection folks and Fire Marshall-this may require permits- Burning Bans do apply in this situation!
    My company asks for a donation to do this-provided any and all demolition
    and burning permits have been approved. We burn structures and brush piles.
    Again , here is another nice training opportunity-albeit moreso on defensive operations .You'll need to have adequate personnel to do the job.

3.Aluminum/can recycling- Not a huge moneymaker ,but nearly everybody
    drinks soda-(or beer)-thus,there are empty cans that could be recycled and
    by creating a mechanism to do this,your company could save the residents of your district(s) money on recycling fees and make some money at the same time! Merely create a monthly collection schedule for residents ,members,
    and don't forget local businesses ! You will have to find a nearby outfit that
    buys scrap aluminum and have someone willing to transport same.Again ,not
    big bucks , but this type operation did fund a local fire dept. support group
    to operate successfully until it was no longer needed , due to an extreme drop in working fire calls.

I hope these suggestions are helpful to you and your dept.They have worked
    for other groups .Perhaps ,they will work for yours.

Forum Member

Our department is in a very rural area also and fund raising is a challenge as well. We do have alot of sportsmen though and X-card shotgun shoots do pretty well for us. We also sell vet jars at these events. We have some special shoots (hog shoot and .410 only shoot) note that the hogs are donated by local farms. Some Saturdays we make over $500.00 or more for a couple hours that only requires 3 or 4 people to be there to operate.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by firerescue511
    I belong to 3 companies. Two of them are working on combining to save funds. Does anyone have any ideas for fundraisers in tiny towns (about 200 people living in the area the 2 companies cover)?

Right now we have a monthly lotto ticket that earns very little. We were doing bingo but, no one was coming, so it discontinued. We are desperate, cannot even afford gas for the cans, or blades for the saws.
    Does your community support you with any sort of local/municipal funding like a tax or protection fee?

Forum Member

We do a couple of different fund raising events. Every year we get in touch with the local motorcycle dealership (in a town about 5 miles away) and ask for their assistance with a poker run. That usually raises about $3K on average

Then just about every other year we have a picture fund raiser. One of the companies comes in and does all the advertising and all we have to do is supply the space. It is usually a pretty good money maker too. Last year we made about $4K off of it.

Another thing that we have done in years past is a golf scramble. Also, Halloween time is a good time for FD's to make money. Just this last year one of the local FD's made over $20,000 off of a haunted house. Other local fire departments have Ghost Rallies around halloween which I have heard is a good money maker too.

The thing you have to keep in mind with all of these activities is that you must have dedicated people who are willing to work all of these activities. We have done things in the past that have just flopped because our people didn't show up or didn't do their part to publicize.

Hope this help. Good Luck!

Forum Member

We do a meat and grille raffle twice a year. We get with the our local butcher he sets it so the winner doesn’t have to get all the meat at once. One of the local retailers Wal-mart or K-mart in our case will usually cut us a break on the grille. We try to get a grille valued at $250.00 and $250.00 in meat. Do it for Labor Day and Memorial Day. We sell tickets for a dollar each. They sell better than going for two dollars. Of course we do not let members of the FD play but do allow family members. One station did this and the guy pulling the ticket won the prize bad pr for them. We make anywhere from $600.00 to $800.00 depends on how everyone gets involved
    Training does not make perfect. Training makes permanent!

IACOJ probie

FH Mag/.com Contributor

With such a limited area (and limited income source) to draw from, it will be very hard to keep trying to pull money from the same 200 people. Some departments have also done raffles for larger items. I know I bought a ticket for someone's Classic Corvette raffle, and I've seen others for motorcycles, boats, cars, trucks, etc, etc. There's a bit more to it in order to make it available to outside areas, but a simple page on a web site can do it. Arrange to purchase said vehicle for a set price with a dealer, then set the price of the tickets and the maximum number to ensure that you'll make enough to buy the item and have enough left over to fund what you need. Of course the small print includes the part about returning all funds if a minimum number isn't sold to cover the cost of the item.

Most folks in this country would spend $50 or $100 for a 1 in 1000 chance to win a Harley. Even at $50 that raises $50K. $12-20K for the bike, $30K for the department. Someone did that around here a couple of years ago for another cause, $100/ticket with 1000 max. I think they sold out in less than a week.

I know I saw the Vette raffle around the forums, and I emailed back and forth with the guy that set it up. If you search for 'raffle' I'm sure you'll find it.

Good Luck - Brian
    Brian P. Vickers
    www.vickersconsultingservices.com
    Emergency Services Consulting
    Westlake VFD - Houston, TX
    Proud Member IACOJ - Redneck Division

Forum Member

i live in a small town also ..around 600 we have pancake sausage breakfasts that make around 1000 after costs

taco suppers that make about the same

in the summer we have a fish and chicked fry that will make us about 6000 to 9000 after costs...

if u advertise most likely people from other towns will come...we are donation only no tax dollar and we buy our trucks and ambulances like this....

if the people know u need help they will probably come through for u..

just some ideas we do other stuff but these are the main $$$ we use

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up

My fire department does a car wash twice a month usually the first and thrid saturday of the month. We do not have a set price for the car wash we accept dontations. Our average donation is between 5-20 dollars. This is a very inexpensive fund raiser and my town does not have a coin operated car wash or any other facility. We average $150-200 a saturday for about 4 hours of work

Forum Member

This is one way we raise money.

Last edited by PFDTruck2; 02-09-2006 at 05:20 PM.
    When opening up the roof remember plywood comes in 4' X 8' sheets.

www.94firedept.com

IACOJ proud member

Forum Member

Hoagie sales, comedy nights, garage sales, lunch with the Easter bunny, lunch with Santa Claus, if your stations are polling places sell soup and cakes.

If you have a good relationship with the businesses in your area, then you might be able to have things donated.

Good luck

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Safety - Just keep rubbing it in that you have real Hoagie rolls up there why don't ya?

Next post you gonna talk about Tastykakes too? Killing me down here.

Forum Member

Cheesesteaks and Krimpets.
    When opening up the roof remember plywood comes in 4' X 8' sheets.

www.94firedept.com

IACOJ proud member

FH Mag/.com Contributor

OUCH!! Kick a man while he's down....South.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BC79er
    Safety - Just keep rubbing it in that you have real Hoagie rolls up there why don't ya?

Next post you gonna talk about Tastykakes too? Killing me down here.
    Ahh man talking about Tastykakes think I am going to have to get some candycakes for after lunch ;-)

FH Mag/.com Contributor

That's alright brothers, I found the answer. www.tastykake.com. I can order them up since y'all aren't helping a guy out.

Although my slight resemblance to someone that hocks crescent rolls says I ought to avoid ordering such things...

MembersZone Subscriber

We just do up a good fundraising/donation letter. Get the campaign manager for a successful local elected official to advise/assist. They know the local recipe for success. For example we include a preaddress return envelope. For busy/likely big doners we preapply the stamp. Concept is to make it as quick and easy for the potential donor to do so. Research is that if they don't write out a check and send it immediately it will not happen. Pick the day of the week when you want your letter to arrive when donor is likely to be less busy/distracted (IE Sat of Memorial Day weekend is bad timing, on a Monday may better).

Our average income from the annual mailing is $3000-3500 (pop of fire district is around 350 in tiny town and 35mi2 of farms). It is also not so hard to get outside help stuffing envelopes, good little old lady job. Getting vol for the 5th pancake breakfast can be a bit harder.

Forum Member

texasholdem tourney and no bake bake sale.
    send out flyer ask resi's if they were to bake something for a bake sale FD going to have what would they bake? take the amount of value the ingredients would cost to make item send to FD. theres a department in our area that does this like once a yr, small community of approx 3,000 they have made like 9 to 12 K.Our department thinking about doing it but were in middle of planning texas holdem tourny, due the numbers 100 people at 100 initial buy in 10,000 fig you give out half for prize money and then you have second buy in at 75, Cost tables, cards, chips.

LADY'S AUX. food, soda
    Mastercard
    Advertising

Help from Department Members = PRICELESS

Forum Member

BC79er-

Tastycake just announced that they are going to supersize some of the old favorites such as krimpets. It was only a matter of time.

When you get back to the northern states, drop me a line and I will buy you some tastcakes along with a real hoagie.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

10-Q. Hopefully I'm still not super-sized by the time I get up that way. Down 10lbs since Jan 1st and haven't even hit the gym yet. Amazing what stress, no sleep and a newborn do for the waistline. Probably not the best way, but at least it's something.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up

As far as fundraising we do Spaghetti dinners and Chicken Suppers. Also something that we found is really good is that we do "Sundae Sundays" every Sunday in July we have ice cream sundaes for sale at the station. We have had good success with it and a lot of the items you can get donated thru local businesses. We sell them for about a dollar a scoop and made about $6,000.00 last year. Plus if you have drive thru bays you can actually do a "Drive Thru" for convenience. These type of things get people in your building and promotes community gatherings. This has been highly successful in recruiting and informing our citizens, plus we eat ice cream!!!!!

Thread Information