Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Helmet stickers

Forum Member

Default Helmet stickers

The question is what stickers if any does your department allow on your helmets. Currently our chief became upset after viewing some of the stickers he saw and ordered all but the flag off.What's your feelings and policies?

MembersZone Subscriber

Friend, you may want to search this one. There was thread a few weeks back that went for a few pages. You may find what you are looking for there.

Good Luck

Temporarily/No Longer Active

From a business and budgeting standpoint, you're looking at roughly 50 helmets at 200 bucks a piece, or roughly $10,000 dollars worth of equipment. Not a small penny by any means.

Smaller POC/volley departments, as Chief I'd be ****ed by any abuse of any equipment. Putting stickers on a helmet and labeling it "abuse" is pretty drastic. However, with stickers like "no fear, screw al-qaeda, get'em hot leave'em wet, etc.' would be abuse. Not only are those sayings stupid, but very unprofessional.

Full time guys probably treat their helmets a little bit better, since the job is their main source of income. 9/10 times people behave a little different at their full time job and a little more immature at their part time job.

I've seen a guy take his department issued helmet and put it in direct flame impingement, to "make it look cool".

Now he has a helmet that he bought for roughly $400-$500 dollars on, the thing is CLEAN AS A SILVER DOLLAR.

Sad that dorks have to ruin it for the rest of us.

MembersZone Subscriber

My department has no regulations on what stickers can or cant be on your helmet and not many in are department have them. We also just swiched to the traditional style six points wich cuts down on stickers. not as much area to put them, my self I like them and have a few on my helmet. as long as they are not volgeer or obseen I have no problem

Our dept has a simple unwritten rule about stickers

As long as its not racial obsene or offending then most of the time their will be no problems. I personally see no point of over doing it in stickers its just something thats gonna melt or burn off anyways

Forum Member

Default stickers

Anything goes- obviously obscene and vulgar stickers have no place. The helmet is the one place a little personality can be expressed.

MembersZone Subscriber cdemarse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by phillipmc
    Our dept has a simple unwritten rule about stickers

As long as its not racial obsene or offending then most of the time their will be no problems. I personally see no point of over doing it in stickers its just something thats gonna melt or burn off anyways
    Same here.

I personally have stickers of a flag, 9-11 memorial, and the Worcester 6
    "Train as if your life depends on it"
    Always Remember *343*

Forum Member

got my last name on the tail of the helmet, "32" across the back, reflective triangles up along the top, and a reflective irish flag along the side.

many in our house have stickers, most everyone has the last name across the tail and "32" (our station) but then there are some with the 9/11 memorial, american flags, twin towers, that sort of thing. never have and hopefully never will have to see anything inappropriate.

Forum Member

our department had a debate about stickers and decals on helmets. one of our captains wanst keen on it because they would catch fire and melt because they are not nfpa heat resistant. but our cheif didnt seem to care stating "they are your helmets, and i encourage you to characterize them and make them unique hopefully you will pay more attention to it"
    i put my nick name "the italian" on the back bill of my cairns 1010 as well as several decals. and because i despised my face shield i put bourkes and goggles on it too and now i take care of my helmet like its my own kin.

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool

Our city department has their names and sometimes, "nick-names" airbrushed across the back of their helmets, and radio number, or station name on the sides. It looks really good, and since they are all the same type of work, it does look somewhat professional.

As far as our county departments are concerned, as long as it is not racial or obscene.....put it on.

Forum Member

I have a leather front with my name on it, no need to add another name on it. I have reflective stickers, but that's all. I had a flag, but after a few fires, it was discolored and charred. When I went to remove it, it left the sticky residue and took more effort to get clean. Goof-Off removed the residue, but I learned not to put stickers on my helmet. I just see no reason for it. I don't mind it, but it isn't for me.

I have seen some guys with a lot of stickers, some with ragged and worn out ones. The only thing missing from theirs is a little rotating red light on top and a siren mounted to the side. They went a little too far. A few is okay, I guess. But like anything else, when you go to the extreme, it looks unprofessional, causes a mess, and quite frankly, makes you look like an idiot.

A name, number, flag, or tribute is about all I would suggest. Even then, keep them clean and in good condition. And be prepared to clean a lot of "goop" off when you go to replace them.

We had a knob up here who posted his web-site on his helmet!!! No **** so now we get nothing...Not even Remember the Fallen!! and that's what we should be wearing..

MembersZone Subscriber

My department doesn't have anything against them. Most of the guys have traditional helmets and some have the flag that goes around the top. Our Chief encourages us to put some of our certifications on our helmet such as Vehicle Rescue or HazMat Level. For me, I have a VRT sticker, HazMat Operations sticker and a 9-11 memorial sticker. Then I recently got an Irish clover and a couple of others. We have guys who go all out and some who have none. I think as long as it is in good taste then its fine but none of the vulgar/obscene stuff.
    Firefighter/EMT-B
    IACOJ

our department had a debate about stickers and decals on helmets. one of our captains wanst keen on it because they would catch fire and melt because they are not nfpa heat resistant
    If you are in a fire and it it is hot enought to melt any stickers or refelective trim, you have a much bigger problem to worry about.

Some Chiefs and officers sweat the petty things, while ignoring the elephants in the room called lack of morale, lack of training, lack of camaraderie, lack of a contract. etc. etc. etc.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo
    If you are in a fire and it it is hot enought to melt any stickers or refelective trim, you have a much bigger problem to worry about.

Some Chiefs and officers sweat the petty things, while ignoring the elephants in the room called lack of morale, lack of training, lack of camaraderie, lack of a contract. etc. etc. etc.
    Very true, if anything on my helmet catches fire, im getting the h%ll out of there.

I had a US Flag and a "4th Man" sticker (it was a big thing from a Houston LODD in '01). The top part of my US flag melted down a little bit and both were pretty discolored.

All I have on my leather is a 343 sticker. I like to keep mine plain and simple.
    "Training doesn't make you a good fireman, fighting fire makes you a good fireman"
    http://thedarksideof911.blogspot.com/
    FTM-PTB-EGH
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber SFDredhat126's Avatar

Our helmets have to have an american flag sticker, chief's rule. But he has complained about IAFF stickers on our helmets.

Quote Originally Posted by SFDredhat126
    Our helmets have to have an american flag sticker, chief's rule. But he has complained about IAFF stickers on our helmets.
    You should put this on and see what he says!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by jmitchell; 01-05-2006 at 03:34 PM.
    "Training doesn't make you a good fireman, fighting fire makes you a good fireman"
    http://thedarksideof911.blogspot.com/
    FTM-PTB-EGH
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber SFDredhat126's Avatar

I already have this one, maybe I'll put it on.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by jmitchell
    You should put this on and see what he says!
    From the U.S. Flag Code:
    (i) The flag should never be used for advertising purposes in any manner whatsoever. It should not be embroidered on such articles as cushions or handkerchiefs and the like, printed or otherwise impressed on paper napkins or boxes or anything that is designed for temporary use and discard. Advertising signs should not be fastened to a staff or halyard from which the flag is flown.
    Would that not be advertising the union?
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DennisTheMenace
    From the U.S. Flag Code:

Would that not be advertising the union?
    Some people on here don't care what anyone says about the flag and the treatment of it. Heck, some people on here think it is ok to burn the flag and desecrate it however they please because it is freedom of expression.

Thread Information