Forum Member

Thumbs up Wireless Fire Alarms

We responded today to an activated residential fire alarm. The residence had a hardwired system that was supplemented by battery operated WIRELESS smoke detectors.

Here is the system that Kiddie Makes: www.kiddewireless.com. I am thinking about purchasing this system to replace the stand-alone battery operated detectors in my home.

This was my first experience with these and I was hoping to get some thoughts and options on these wireless options...

Forum Member

Default Maybe....

Sounds like a good idea. However you may have some probelms depending on the contruction of your home. They may not work real great in places with a lot of concrete or brick contruction. Also with wireless stuff, it seems like your always changing batteries. Just my two cents.

Rob

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up Cool Idea!

New to me...I've never heard of it before. It sounds like a really cool idea. Relatively cheap way to have a fire alarm system in your house with basically no installation. Do you know if it is one head for $48 or is it a kit? I think I might consider doing this in my house.

My buddy and I were discussing it and were wondering what the range on the system is? I imagine since each person would be buying a different number of heads they would all have to be on the same radio frequency? Is there a way to set them all to a certain "channel"? If you live in a city where houses are very close together how would this affect the neighbor's system when one of your heads get activated? It'd be interesting trying to figure out which head went bad that activated the systems of two other houses!

MembersZone Subscriber

Get the Kidde model at Lowes (I think they have an exclusive). A GREAT advance as far as I am concerned. On trips and it sends signal to to set off all the others in range (in your house). Lowes recently reduced the price to around $40 per head. Smoke and heat detector. Also a unit that you plug into a 120v wall jack that when set off by a detector unit has a voice alarm, to the effect GET YOUR BUTT OUT OF BED GRANDMA/KID". Current thinking is that kids and elderly will not wake up from REM sleep to a std fire alarm buzzer but a voice alarm will. Also have a detector unit that you can wire into a preexisting hardwire detector system to expand on what is already in place.

GE has a similar wireless alarm system that also has security function and a telephone auto dialer. Slightly more expensive but still quite reasonable price.

I/we purchased a complete set of each for our smoke detector education program. This is 2000 stuff vs the old 1975 tech of the $5 detectors we have been handing out for years. A big next step in improving safety/protection life. If the old style detector in your basement/furnace room boiler goes off tonight when will you know you have a fire? When the smoke reaches your bedroom hallway on the 2nd floor? We can do better.

Price is, of course, is the issue. 5x $5 detectors or 5x $40 detectors. A little bit of something good enough?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by neiowa
    Get the Kidde model at Lowes (I think they have an exclusive). A GREAT advance as far as I am concerned. On trips and it sends signal to to set off all the others in range (in your house). Lowes recently reduced the price to around $40 per head. Smoke and heat detector. Also a unit that you plug into a 120v wall jack that when set off by a detector unit has a voice alarm, to the effect GET YOUR BUTT OUT OF BED GRANDMA/KID". Current thinking is that kids and elderly will not wake up from REM sleep to a std fire alarm buzzer but a voice alarm will. Also have a detector unit that you can wire into a preexisting hardwire detector system to expand on what is already in place.

GE has a similar wireless alarm system that also has security function and a telephone auto dialer. Slightly more expensive but still quite reasonable price.

I/we purchased a complete set of each for our smoke detector education program. This is 2000 stuff vs the old 1975 tech of the $5 detectors we have been handing out for years. A big next step in improving safety/protection life. If the old style detector in your basement/furnace room boiler goes off tonight when will you know you have a fire? When the smoke reaches your bedroom hallway on the 2nd floor? We can do better.

Price is, of course, is the issue. 5x $5 detectors or 5x $40 detectors. A little bit of something good enough?
    Thanks for the insight. The issues with the basement is my main concern. There is no way that I would hear the alarm down there going off in the middle of the night.

To follow up with the earlier questions, each of the units are sold seperatly. Each unit has dip-switches similar to a garage door transmitter--you set the same code on each of your devices so that they will talk to each other and not your neighbors

Forum Member

When I moved into my house, ADT called me up and asked if I wanted a free wireless security system installed, and all I had to do was pay the monthly monitoring fee (if I wanted a monitored system). I went ahead and did it (I like it), and in addition (I had to pay extra for the detector) I had a wireless smoke detector installed in the sleeping area. So now, since I'm away for so long (being at the station, etc.) if there's a fire, my smoke detector is monitored and they'll call the fire department. Perfect. The only thing that makes me nervous is that the smoke detector itself doesn't alarm. The siren comes out of the control panel downstairs in the kitchen. So I installed a normal battery-operated smoke detector next to the wireless one just in case the siren from downstairs doesn't wake me up.

I might get one of those supposedly more effective voice-alarm smoke detectors though and have my girlfriend's voice recorded: "Lou, wake up, there's a fire honey. Wake up, let's go!" That would be better than the PVC-inducing alien invasion siren that the alarm system provides.

Peace out.
    LT Lou DiMattia
    Willoughby Hills Fire Department
    Willoughby Hills, OH USA

It's your world buddy, we're just livin' in it.

Forum Member

I just bought three for my parents for christmas to try them out. I got the first alert one-link at $45 a unit at home depot. Setting them up was real easy. Just put the batteries in(which are 2 AA) the first unit which you then hear a chirp. For the rest you hold the test button in while you close the battery door. This well set it into learning mode to set the channel. You then go back to the first unit, push the test button till the other head chirp as well. Then your set to test them out. I have one upstairs and 2 downstairs.

One thing that bugs me are the test. I've tired them out about 10 times first day i set them up. Some tests i get them to all go off. Others can only get 2. But the test runs only one cycle ( 3 beeps pause 3 beeps). Which makes me think that the unit has a timer in it that listens every 10 or 15 sec which might just need a cupple more beeps for everything to go off. I do hope to run a smoke test someday to see what happens.

Also if you are wondering how do you know which head is the one that tripped the alarm? The unit that trips is the only head that has a Red LED flashing. The units say they can go 100 feet and run at 915 MHz which uses frequency-hopping to prevent interference. So far they are a good product. If i get cant get all them to work with a smoke test, Im sure that BRK Brands, Inc will be getting a call.

Thread Information