Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Question Question for the Guru's -

I am a staff member of an all volunteer Rescue Squad. We are not Fire based nor are we EMS based. So my question is this. Are we eligable to apply for the Fire Act? We are the Heavy Rescue entitiy for the largest county in Kansas, but with our odd arrangement I am not sure. I will be attended a grant writing class soon and would like to try for some new extrication equipment. Any info you may have would be appreciated.

Troy Jellison
    Sgt. - Training Officer
    Butler County Rescue Squad
    I have but one ambition in life and that is to become a firefighter.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

After reading (and re-reading) the PG, I'd have to say no, but that's definitely one to bring up to the local FPS for the final answer.

I say that because you aren't directly involved in fire suppression operations, the main definition of a fire department, and you're also not involved in EMS Patient transport, despite rescue in many areas being considering an EMS operation. PA Dept of Health is the entity certifying rescue training since it involves patient treatment to some extent, and many others do as well. But for the definitions given in the 2005 Guidance, I say no.

CEDAP you should be eligible, so if you haven't started one already get into that before the app period closes on the 13th.

Guess you're not wandering over to N Little Rock to my class, that's kind of a hike. Almost as far for you as it will be for me.

Default Thanks

Thank you for your response. That is what I was afraid of. I will be getting going on the CEDAP.

If you find any others, please let me know.

Thanks,
    Troy

MembersZone Subscriber

Troy,

Wait a minute there...we have Rescue Squads down here in North Carolina. Stand alone RS's that provide basic, advanced and heavy rescue services alone, with limited EMS services, and they were eligible to apply for AFG this past year. We also have EMS agencies, as well. The RS basically does extrication, rescue, transportation, alot of water rescue, etc.

I can double check with my contacts tomorrow or the beginning of the week, but if you have a contract within your county to provide those services, and no one else has the necessary tools, and you are non-profit, then you'd be in the same boat as the guys here.

I was just now reading over the PG's from last year, it mentions Rescue Squads. What is your exact purpose within your county - duties, contract, etc.? vers. what an EMS agency is providing? We have both here...

Not trying to stir anything up or cause a big ruckus, or give you a false hope...just saying you may have a chance, but I'd have to check, and find out more about your status.
    Alana Tomlin Denton
    Freelance Grant Writer/Consultant

Yea and I have to chime in here to and say that they may be eligible also;

Quote from PG:

"Included in this category of eligibility would be rescue squads that are adequately trained to provide emergency medical services to the community that they serve."

I think the key here is going to be "do you have EMTs or paramedics on the squad" and can you provide basic life support as well. I had several "rescue squads" apply but, they provided basic life support with EMTs on their crews as well, even though they did not transport. The other key was if the local FD was not providing "rescue" type services, and they were in fact who was doing the vehicle extrication, confined space rescue etc. then they were eligible. It is not so cut and dry.

I would call your regional rep. or in DC and ask for a ruling in your paritcular situation before saying "die".
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Guess it depends on the definition of EMS:

From the Workshop PPT: Rescue squads are eligible only if they provide EMS and are non-profit and are not affiliated with a hospital or a fire department.

EMS has/is defined to be mainly patient transport to ERs. All of the Rescue Squads I worked with also did patient transport (like those in NC that Alana mentioned, VA has the same setup as do other areas), so it was a moot issue at the time I worked the apps because they provided EMS transport.

I guess it comes down to their operations in their area and what the official EMS definition is, which is why I mentioned to call their FPS for the final word. As we all know from the generator thread there's enough ambiguity to keep us busy.

Yea I saw the same thing in the workshop PPT but, that is why I went back to the PG. That quote to me was the killer. I will be interested to see what soem of my contacts at DHS have to say on this.
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Forum Member

just a thought from a not so wise man.....could they not apply as part of regional approach.

They are provider for Rescue for for largest county, thus serving more the one dept, yada yada...?

FH Mag/.com Contributor

To be a regional project it has to involve more than one department getting equipment for a similar purpose. So to do that they'd have to find other departments that wanted/needed tools, which would minimize their effect on the area as the only rescue provider.

On the other hand, if there are any county agencies responsible for fire or rescue protection then they could apply on their behalf if indeed they aren't eligible on their own. Which again, they could be, but it will take an official ruling for sure.

Lightbulb Rescue Grants

Thank you again for all of your input!! Encouraging. We do not transport patients here. We have a county EMS agency that does that. We do however have Paramedics, EMT-I's, EMT's, and First Responders on our squad if that might help. We could maybe apply for a regional grant by getting our smaller F.D. based units on all getting new equipment. But, would that cancel out their individual applications? Again, thank you in advance for any thoughts that you might have.

Troy

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Long version of the PG:

A “nonaffiliated EMS organization” is defined as a public or private nonprofit emergency medical services organization that provides direct emergency medical services to a specific geographic area but is not affiliated with a hospital and does not serve a geographic area in which DHS finds that emergency medical services are adequately provided by a fire department. In making the determination regarding “adequately provided,” DHS will conclude that any nonaffiliated EMS organization would be eligible under this definition if the organization is providing direct emergency medical services at the time of application and is in good standing with the community, i.e., licensed and/or chartered to provide EMS serves to the community. Included in this category of eligibility would be rescue squads that are adequately trained to provide emergency medical services to the community that they serve.
    A municipality (such as a fire district) may submit an application on behalf of a fire or EMS organization when the organization lacks the legal status to do so, e.g., when the organization falls within the auspices of the municipality or district.

Seems like the part about there being adequate services already provided might prove to be the interesting part of the discussion. Since the county does the EMS transport, they might take that part to trump you. But who knows, 2006 AFG could change enough to make sure those in your situation aren't left out.

Default Grants

Interesting, We are looking at the CEDAP grant but it only allows for Amkus tools currently. We would like to be able to choose the tools. ???????? I guess we will see.........

Forum Member

Brother.... It's free....and the only bad anything:coffee, Capt'n Coke, or extrication equipment is that which you had to pay for yourself

Seriously though, Apply for CEDAP, they are supplying some pretty decent equip. and it's a step in the right direction.
    Clock is ticking on that one, I think the deadline is the 13th?

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Yep, Friday the 13th is looming. Considering you need knowledge of the state and county EMA plans, whoever thinks they're just going to throw one together better get moving real fast. Something along the lines of ludicrous speed...

MembersZone Subscriber

You don't get to choose the brand, only choose one thing off the list. Basically on the Fire side, there's the Rescue tools package or the TIC - that's what most of the FDs I have worked with are going for. Everything else on the list is geared more towards LE. And like the other posts, with a no match grant, once you're awarded, if it's like previous equipment grants, you attend a training session, then you walk out with the equip. It's not a $$$ grant.
    Alana Tomlin Denton
    Freelance Grant Writer/Consultant

Thread Information