Thread: FFI Cert?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default FFI Cert?

I heard some people say that you'll need a certain percentage of members to be FFI for the 2006 AFG. And years following the numbers of certified required go up. Has anyone else heard something like this?

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Not to my knowledge. Kind of hard to do since some states still don't recognize IFSAC or Pro Board. SAFER required it within 6 months for those that were being hired by awards, but I can't see AFG making that important for some of the departments that have a hard enough time training people and making ends meet.

Forum Member

Maybe he has the NIMS confused? Have not heard anything about FF1 but have heard the NIMS requirements. From what I remember, they were close to what he is saying about FF1.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

FH Mag/.com Contributor

NIMS is a requirement for 2006, no exceptions from what they have been saying. IS700 for all employees/members, 100 and 200 level for all potential people that could be in Command on any scene. 300 and 400 I haven't heard as being part of the requirement, but until they finally dump the PG on us, who knows.

All 3 of those classes are available online for free at training.fema.gov. The others are available for nothing through the Homeland Security Training Grant Program. State Fire Marshal's offices are supposed to be the contacts for scheduling last I checked.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Ff1

hey Bones - Middlesex county here i understood the NJ wanted all FF's NIMS by 1/1/06

we finished up almost everyone by end of 1st week in DEC. but still have a few straglers

Forum Member

Yes, Codey signed a law that all NJ responders had to follow the NIMS compliance path. That included FD, EMS, PD, Public Works, Government "leaders", even towing services. Haven't figured out how they are going to enforce the towing services though...
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Towing companies? Interesting. Guess they're involved in case evacuation routes need to be cleared.

And if you had this bad boy, you could clear a lot real fast.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

FH Mag/.com Contributor

And that would be the cover of The World's Greatest Tow Trucks, Volume 4. Available at Amazon.com and other fine book retailers.

Forum Member

BC, "he" figured ANYONE and EVERYONE that may respond to any type of incident needs NIMS.

Heck, it's NJ, we're in the forefront of all emergency training.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

I'm not seeing a whole lot of tow truck drivers heading TOWARDS a major incident scene, especially a terrorist act. Most public works folks would be heading the other way too I'd imagine.

Actually if I see a mushroom cloud I'll be in Mexico post-haste. No one ever attacks them. "Si senor, un autre cerveza por favor."

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ENG5TRK
    I heard some people say that you'll need a certain percentage of members to be FFI for the 2006 AFG. And years following the numbers of certified required go up. Has anyone else heard something like this?
    I know this is the case for the OFSC grants. You are awarded "points" so to say according to how many certified FF's you have. The max is $15,000 grant. All qualified applicants get either 7,000 or 8,000 to start. The remaining dollars up to 15,000 are computed using a multitude of factors including how many certified FF's there are in your department.

MembersZone Subscriber

That must be what folks are talking about. Thanks, 298!

Thread Information