Thread: Truck Ideal...

Forum Member

Lightbulb Truck Ideal...

I have written a grant for a truck for our department and was awarded this year. One of the other departments in the same county was turned down this year for a truck. While I was talking to some of the people from that department we got to talking about getting a new truck. They are in need of a new truck and they have enough money right now to buy a good used truck however they are wanting to buy a new truck. With getting turned down this year they do not want to put in for a FEMA truck again, because they are in need of other equipment. So while we were talking an ideal came up.

This department has enough money to purchase a new cassie, tank, and bed. They are wanting to get a new pump some were in the area of a 1250 g.p.m. or bigger. They would also like to get a CAFS unit to go on this truck. They had asked me if you could put these items under firefighter equipment rather then under vehicle. That way they could still apply for the other equipment that is need.

So I was just wanting to know if there is anyone that has heard of this being done, or if anyone has done it and if so, did it work out and them get the grant or did it get rejected. I am open for ideals on this. Please let me know...

Also if you have done this and it did work please send me a copy of that grant. My e-mail address is shanerigney@bellsouth.net

Thanks
    Shane
    Last edited by Nebo424; 01-05-2006 at 02:58 AM.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

No, refurbing a truck like that goes under vehicle. I did get a clarification on that from our local DHS FPS around here.

If it involves pump, tank, chassis, or any other major part of a truck, it's a vehicle app. Adding CAFS, a light tower, bigger gen-set, or even HRT & electric reels falls under equipment because the structure of the truck is not changing. Once parts start coming off it's a vehicle app.

Buying solid used trucks for smaller, low volume departments is one of my many recommendations as projects if they aren't going to be competitive for new truck projects. Especially if there is some cash in hand already to accomplish that. There are plenty out there. Plus, even if the dept really needs two decent pumpers to replace 30+ y/o trucks, buying one used one with local funds then applying for a new one has a better argument to it than saying we have the cash for a used truck but don't want to spend it. Depts need to make a local effort first, then try to use the grant to fill in other gaps. Having a 10 y/o used primary that was bought because the situation was desperate, but still having a 30y/o 2nd out truck that was no better than the replaced one shows local initiative, which is what gets rewarded.

Remember the magic AFG words: SUPPORT & ENHANCE. If you are doing nothing, then there is nothing to support and enhance.

- Brian

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BC79er
    No, refurbing a truck like that goes under vehicle. I did get a clarification on that from our local DHS FPS around here.
    Whoa Brian That's a 180. Discussion has long been that a project which was modification of a currently owned chassis (as replace body/tank on a tender/tanker with a new NFPA compliant unit) that would be an equipment grant vs a "never gonna get" vehicle grant. Whats up???

FH Mag/.com Contributor

I believe that's one of the things that's been clarified/modified since we first brought it up. When I got that reply a couple of months ago I posted it in here I thought, since it was a change from previous thinking. From my understanding of the clarification I got body replacement, tank replacement, and cab overhauls went from equipment to vehicle. Chassis has always been vehicle. Adding things like the CAFS & light tower stay equipment since it is not a major part of the truck.

So whether stuff moved or they actually changed how it works I can't get an answer, but that's the way it is now. And I guess that's the important part.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by neiowa
    Whoa Brian That's a 180. Discussion has long been that a project which was modification of a currently owned chassis (as replace body/tank on a tender/tanker with a new NFPA compliant unit) that would be an equipment grant vs a "never gonna get" vehicle grant. Whats up???
    I've spent a lot of time on here researching and paying attention to what Brian and the other "Gurus" have said, and I don't remember ever hearing that a major component of a truck refurb. would be considered under equipment. Maybe I missed something...just kinda following through to see if I did.
    Fortunately we did get funded this year and I think it came down to exactly what Brian said...We showed that we already purchased our engine with local funds AND showed that we were already working on fundraisers to get the truck we requested but were nowhere near having the funds needed to buy it. We also used it as an opportunity to combine two trucks into one and I can't help but think that helped. We are utilizing the new mini-pumper on a 4 wheel drive chassis for 1st responder calls as well as replacing a 28 year old pumper AND a 35 year old brush truck.
    Brian...am I right in thinking that angle might have possibly given us an edge?

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Most definitely. Multi-functional vehicles and equipment are a way to increase cost-benefit of the project. And mentioning that you handled what you could on your own helps also.

The "what constitutes a refurb under the Vehicle project" stems from another method for increasing cost-benefit by modifying the request and reducing cost while still achieving the same benefit as a new purchase. If all you need is a new tank and some other work done to an existing truck to make it safer/more reliable, then applying to fix that would cost less but produce the same benefit as a new truck.

The fun part is that if you don't get funded or make PR with that type of project, you probably wouldn't have gotten any farther with a request for a new truck either, unless you did something like Tim did with their app.

Thread Information