MembersZone Subscriber

Default SCOTT NXG2 airpack

Looking to find out any info on the pros and cons of scotts new scba the nxg2 airpack thanks

Forum Member

do a search people !
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Weruj1
    do a search people !
    normally I do my best to not say that but damn this topic has been brought up a lot lately.
    "Train as if your life depends on it"
    Always Remember *343*

Forum Member

So this topic has been brought up...hmm it's budget time, it's time to start preparing for fire act grant; either way if it's brought up 50 times whats the loss.
    I may be wrong but the point of a forum is to exchange information, and maybe just maybe someone recently purchased or researched this very topic, providing a new perspective on a topic?

Forum Member

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by cdemarse
    normally I do my best to not say that but damn this topic has been brought up a lot lately.
    I hear ya screamin !!!!!!
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by AFD2181
    So this topic has been brought up...hmm it's budget time, it's time to start preparing for fire act grant; either way if it's brought up 50 times whats the loss.
    I may be wrong but the point of a forum is to exchange information, and maybe just maybe someone recently purchased or researched this very topic, providing a new perspective on a topic?
    Yeah great, do a search on NXG2. There really isn't anything new to be said about them. We purchased 12x with fire grant spring of 2005 we like them/they're great. Use the search.

Forum Member

Wow....brothers helpin brothers....

Take a moment to look at the number of posts who asked the question, cut the fella a bit of slack

MembersZone Subscriber

We just bought 73 NXG2's complete with the New SIMS unit. The only draw back with the NXG2 based on usage is the battery life, but its only based on how active the dept is in training or actual calls needing the use of SCBA's.

Geeez that wasn't so bad

Forum Member

They suck, buy the 50's. We have 10,all of which can burn in hell and die. Gimme an old 2.2, with a composite bottle and an AV-2000 facepiece any day of the week over these friggin new BA's. I don't need all the gadgetry.
    FF/NREMT-B

FTM-PTB!!

Brass does not equal brains.

Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by pfd4life
    They suck, buy the 50's. We have 10,all of which can burn in hell and die. Gimme an old 2.2, with a composite bottle and an AV-2000 facepiece any day of the week over these friggin new BA's. I don't need all the gadgetry.

Ok...so why does the NXG2 suck.

and yes...the airpack 50 is just fine without all the bells and whistles

Forum Member

Amen to that

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Weruj1
    do a search people !
    Smoothbore or FOG ???

MembersZone Subscriber

Well thats just too much info there.

either way, we run the nxg's. Once the battery issue was resolved, we haven't had any problems. Our guys love them. They sit better on the hips. The quick change is next to firefighter-proof. All those NFPA required gadgets that keep our stupid asses alive are a great improvement too.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by captjab
    Ok...so why does the NXG2 suck.

and yes...the airpack 50 is just fine without all the bells and whistles
    We've had our share of issues with them already, HUD's going down, battery life and all of the other known problems. Most have been serviced for the same issues more than once and they have only been in service since about August or so. The HUD's don't dim, the snap-change sticks, the strap that holds the bottle down need the white lock-tab back....I'm not going to go further...

quint1officer, in all honesty, these gadgets really don't save anyone they just jack up the price and the amount of things that go wrong. The only thing that has improved in regards to safety within BA's has been the integrated PASS. All the otehr stuff....I don't need it. I have what's known as "situational awareness" I don't need SEMS, or HUD, or any of that other crap. Like I said...gimme the old 2.2 with an AV-2000, and composite bottle. Lighter and simpler than any of the current BA's.
    FF/NREMT-B

FTM-PTB!!

MembersZone Subscriber

No disrespect intended, but those gadgets (HUD in particular) came from ff's not watching their air and not making it out. I'll definitely agree with you on price though. Our last batch of ap50's were half of what we bought the nxg's for. We didn't go with the sems, just couldn't justify the cost. The integrated pass was a great improvement for us. I lost count of how many people weren't turning on their firefly's.
    Like I said, there were problems with the early packs. We had numerous reflashes done to the brain chip. That mostly took care of the battery use issue. They came back to repair the o-rings on the cylinders. Every cylinder equalized to 3000psi. Our sevice company took care of things immediately.

Forum Member

The HUD's were born because ISI came out with it first as a marketing gimmick, the NFPA mandated it shortly thereafter. The integrated PASS is a need, not an option. HUD's, don't need it, SEMS, don't need it, any other gadget you can find to put on an airpack..don't need it.
    FF/NREMT-B

FTM-PTB!!

MembersZone Subscriber

The HUD's were born because ISI came out with it first as a marketing gimmick, the NFPA mandated it shortly thereafter. The integrated PASS is a need, not an option. HUD's, don't need it, SEMS, don't need it, any other gadget you can find to put on an airpack..don't need it.
    See also; Seatbelts, hydraulic brakes (all FOUR wheels), fuel injection, them 'lecric lights, windshield (tempered), who needs those new fangled horseless carriages anyhow? Gimme a nice little filly and a Studebaker buggy any day. The Good Lord never 'tended a man to go more than 10mph nohow or he'd a ........

MembersZone Subscriber

I can see alot of "Gadgets" on new SCBA's that you would need....

RIT/UAC connection, Buddy Breathing Pigtail Connection, HUD Display Integrated PASS.

NFPA never mandates something off of a marketing gimmick, it's there for a reason. "LODD's"

Forum Member

I can see alot of "Gadgets" on new SCBA's that you would need....

RIT/UAC connection, Buddy Breathing Pigtail Connection, HUD Display Integrated PASS.

NFPA never mandates something off of a marketing gimmick, it's there for a reason. "LODD's"
    RIT connections, nope don't have em. Buddy breathing? We don't do it, HUD again....I don't need it or want it. I don't pay attention to it, I don't trust them. Integrated PASS...I said this is a need. I am for these on every BA.

Let's take a look at the HUD. On the NXG2 they are hard wired. In the ISI and MSA packs, it's done via short distance radio signal. So what does that mean? If get my mask too close to the transmitter on my partners pack...my mask can read incorrectly. I'm not sure if they are still doing it the same, but when it first came out it's how it was done. The NFPA views some of these things as good idea, therefore the mandate. Similar to the CBRN requirement. The chance that any department will ever have a use for a BA rated with it, is so low it's not funny.

neiowa, I'd love a studebaker, problem is I don't have the funds to aquire one. I guess, take a look at the BA's you used in 95. Be it MSA, Scott or whoever. Chances are you got along just fine without any problems. Now that you have all the gadgets, do you get along better, or the same? Similar to bunker gear, you rely on the gear to protect you, not your brain. I review and study tons of 'new' gimmicks and gadgets every year, or when I see somthing new. Most are recycled ideas, or ones to get people to spend money on what they feel is a good idea. In all honesty, solid work on tactics, command, and knowledge beat gimmicks and gadgets.
    FF/NREMT-B

FTM-PTB!!

MembersZone Subscriber

I agree that solid work on tactics, command, and knowledge beat gimmicks and gadgets just like using the TIC. I see alot of people using the TIC and forgetting the basics, what happens when the battery dies....but they are sure nice to have.
    Last edited by captjab; 01-09-2006 at 05:32 PM.

Forum Member

. I see alot of people using the TIC and forgetting the basics, what happens with the battery dies....but they are sure nice to have.
    ...You mean the batteries can die?!

Kevin
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

Forum Member

I guess what I'm getting at is that, I don't need an extra $5000 worth of garbage mandated, optional yes. Similar to buying a car. You can't pick and choose options anymore, you have to pick a package. All the gadgets in the world won't make a difference if how you mitigate a hazard, they are just a tool to assist in getting it done. Stick with R.E.C.E.V.O.S, add a dash of ICS, and some competent crew...it's amazing how well things go. So to sum up all of my rants...I don't want or need gadgets and gimmicks crammed down my throat. I want competent, knowledgeble officers, fewer know it alls, and people who would rather train and learn, than open thir wallets.
    FF/NREMT-B

FTM-PTB!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Lightbulb ???

Taste Great!!!!!!!

Less Filling !!!!!!!!

Taste Great !!!!!!!!!

Less Filling!!!!!!!!!

Stay Safe
    FF/Instructor
    "Train as you life depends on it, IT DOES!!"
    IACOJ
    MABAS 32

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Crisb1419
    Taste Great!!!!!!!

Less Filling !!!!!!!!

Taste Great !!!!!!!!!

Less Filling!!!!!!!!!

Stay Safe
    I have an instructor that uses this all of the time, then again...he's also instilled the high level of tradtion, history and agression. Also taught me that not everything new is the greatest
    FF/NREMT-B

FTM-PTB!!

MembersZone Subscriber

hey pfd4life...you bash everyones ideas and gadgets, so why dont you get that great instructor of yours to instill spell check along with all that tradition and aggression...i wish i would have had as much knowledge and experience at the ripe old age of 23 as yourself... anyone can qoute others and books

try having some positive posts for your fellow brothers instead of bashing all their ideas

FTM-RFB-EGH

Thread Information