Ontario--2 House Fires In One Night
From the Lindsay Daily Post
Homes damaged by fire
KAWARTHA LAKES - Firefighters in the northern part of the city battled separate house fires Friday night, two of which caused over $400,000 damage.
Although no one was seriously injured, one person was taken to hospital as a precaution for smoke inhalation after one fire while two family pets perished in another.
Just after 7 p.m. Kirkfield, Coboconk, Fenelon and Norland firefighters were called about a bathroom full of smoke and crackling walls at 424 Doyle Road, east of the Talbot River in the former Bexley Township.
The 30 firefighters found flames in the basement and smoke pouring out of the home, which had alarms that were activated.
The lone female occupant, who was outside when fire crews arrived, was taken to hospital by ambulance for observation.
It took nearly three hours for crews to gain control of the stubborn, smouldering fire. Officials noted the type of construction led deep seated burning originating in the basement to spread through other parts of the home. An imaging camera was instrumental in helping crews locate hot spots.
Officials said electrical malfunction caused the fire and estimated damage at $100,000 and $125,000 to the building and contents respectively.
Much of the smoke, heat and fire damage was done to the original part of the home while a large addition received very minor damage.
Just before 9 p.m., Fenelon Falls crews were called out again, along with Burnt River and Bobcaygeon personnel, to 1187 Kawartha Lakes Road 121, near Poulsom Road.
There, they found smoke rolling across the highway from the single-storey building. Fire officials said there was little open flames when crews entered the house as the blaze was smouldering. Investigators determined it started in the basement when a lamp dropped onto a couch.
No one was home at the time but two pets were lost in the fire, which officials said took firefighters considerable time to get to the root of.
It was brought under control by about 9:48 p.m., but not after it caused an estimated $160,000 and $40,000 damage to the building and contents respectively, officials said. The former provincial highway was closed for much of the evening because of the number of emergency vehicles on the scene. Cameron division firefighters also stood by at the Fenelon Falls fire hall to cover other calls for the village.
Earlier in the evening, just after 6, 15 Bobcaygeon and Dunsford division firefighters went to 12 Lynn Court, off Glenway Drive east of Dunsford in the former Verulam Township where officials said a hydro box meter had shorted out, filling the house with smoke.
Firefighters shut off the electricity to the house and Ontario Hydro attended to fix the problem.