Thread: getting hired

Forum Member

Default getting hired

From personal experience, how much of an advantage is it being good friends with the cheifs son of the department you want to apply for and also being an in-law in another company your looking to apply at.

Thanks for your time and help.

Forum Member

Default buddy buddy system

Having "friends" and having them put in a good word does help in a lot of hiring situations, but if you have what takes you shouldn't have to use others to get ahead, your actions should be what determines your future. Over the years I've had to many of chiefs little butt kissers get hired, but then learn quick how you got hired and it doesn't cut it at the firehouse who you know.
    Fire Lieutenant-Paramedic
    A-shift

Forum Member

yes, i strongly agree with what you are saying and im willing to do what it takes to get the job i want. my question was more of a "just wondering" question.

Thanks again.

Forum Member

Depends on the size of the department. Here you are just a number until you are hired. You walk into the interview and the HR person announces "This is canidate ####." Prior to that all the tests are pass/fail. HR runs the intial can you read and write test, the physcial agility is overseen by HR, and the medical and psych come back to the HR department as a yes or no. Very little influence from the fire side if any.

Good luck.

Forum Member

Works here.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by lexfd5
    Depends on the size of the department. Here you are just a number until you are hired. You walk into the interview and the HR person announces "This is canidate ####." Prior to that all the tests are pass/fail. HR runs the intial can you read and write test, the physcial agility is overseen by HR, and the medical and psych come back to the HR department as a yes or no. Very little influence from the fire side if any.

Good luck.
    This is all true, but then doesn't the fire department interview or choose prospective employees from the HR list of eligibles? This is when knowing someone is going to help. In my department, HR controls the hiring process to a point then fire takes over, hence the Chief's interview where if you know someone in the department, especially an officer or a chief, they have already made their calls putting in a good word for you.
    Bottom line is, knowing people in a department you are seeking employment in can never hurt, unless it is in a bad way that you are known.

MembersZone Subscriber

sounds nice and all...but do you REALLY want to get on that way? And if you do get on that way, what will the guys you are working with think about getting on that way? Is that the rep you want?

DJ

Forum Member

Depends on the department. Our chief is not well liked or respected so it might even be a hinderance.

Most department I am familiar with, the only thing it may help on would be the interview. Our last hiring test, we had a firefighter interview board with no imput from the chief.

I wouldn't want a guy to use that method to get on the dept because from then on everything he does is tainted.

Thread Information