Thread: Lawyer Alert!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Lawyer Alert!

Thought that might get attention! Hello, I'm new to the site. I've been in fire and EMS for 30 years in pretty much all aspects (paramedic, chief, firefighter, etc.) and still run actively as an EMT/firefighter for a large suburban volunteer company. My other "job" is that I work as an EMS/fire services attorney "full time." My law partner, Doug Wolfberg and I started this firm over 6 years ago with our dear friend and colleague Jim Page. Those of you who remember the show Emergency! would remember Jim (he was the technical advisor and wrote several of the shows) and his many contributions to modern day EMS and the fire service.

Anyway, we deal with all sorts of issues that many of the Firehouse.com members confront in their daily service to the community. I look forward to participating in the forums as time permits. If anyone would like more information about us, you can go to our web site at www.pwwemslaw.com or email me directly if you have quesitons or just want to say hello at swirth@pwwemslaw.com.

Thanks, and Stay Safe during 2006!

Steve

Steve Wirth
    Page, Wolfberg & Wirth, LLC
    The National EMS Industry Law Firm TM
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    swirth@pwwemslaw.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by stevewirth1
    Thought that might get attention! Hello, I'm new to the site. I've been in fire and EMS for 30 years in pretty much all aspects (paramedic, chief, firefighter, etc.) and still run actively as an EMT/firefighter for a large suburban volunteer company. My other "job" is that I work as an EMS/fire services attorney "full time." My law partner, Doug Wolfberg and I started this firm over 6 years ago with our dear friend and colleague Jim Page. Those of you who remember the show Emergency! would remember Jim (he was the technical advisor and wrote several of the shows) and his many contributions to modern day EMS and the fire service.

Anyway, we deal with all sorts of issues that many of the Firehouse.com members confront in their daily service to the community. I look forward to participating in the forums as time permits. If anyone would like more information about us, you can go to our web site at www.pwwemslaw.com or email me directly if you have quesitons or just want to say hello at swirth@pwwemslaw.com.

Thanks, and Stay Safe during 2006!

Steve

Steve Wirth
    Page, Wolfberg & Wirth, LLC
    The National EMS Industry Law Firm TM
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    swirth@pwwemslaw.com
    i like to ask you something.. can a person sue a pvt rescue unit.. or a fire dept over harassment

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ncbrush6
    i like to ask you something.. can a person sue a pvt rescue unit.. or a fire dept over harassment
    Of course. Anyone can sue anyone - how good is your attorney - now thats the question.
    Warm Regards,
    Shawn Stoner
    EMT-B

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Harassment

Quote Originally Posted by ncbrush6
    You can sue for just about anything these days! But when it comes to harassment, yes you can sue your employer, but only for UNLAWFUL harassment. Illegal harassment is harassment based on sex, age, race, religion, disability etc. A boss can "harass" you but as long as a reason for the harassment is not illegal, then there is not much you can do about it.

Example: Boss always calls you an idiot and a know nothing, but he calls everyone that...that may be harassment, but he does it just because he's an a-hole boss and he treats everyone the same. Acting like an a-hole is not illegal by itself.

BUT, if the a-hole boss only calls women idiots and yells at them and treats them more adversely than he does male staff members, then that could be illegal harassment based on sex.

And in most cases you can't just sue directly...you have to go to the federal or state equal employment agency to file a complaint first.

Hope this helps....

Regards,

Steve Wirth
    swirth@pwwemslaw.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by stevewirth1
    A boss can "harass" you but as long as a reason for the harassment is not illegal, then there is not much you can do about it.
    I would think that falls in to "creating a hostile work place". Your HR Dept would be commiting suicide if they didnt act on that.
    Warm Regards,
    Shawn Stoner
    EMT-B

Thread Information