Thread: Fdny 2006

MembersZone Subscriber

Post Fdny 2006

New Year! New Thread!

First I'll carry over some of the topic from the old '05 thread regarding Outstanding Certification

Investigations phone number: 718-999-1146
    DCAS Hotline: 212-669-1357

And then the Current List Updates

Latest I can pass on is in talking to my investigator on Dec 30th that the current plan is tentatively two classes in the near future of at least 175 each in March and May.

Reading through "The Chief" it will be under the new academy wage of $25.1k and then up to $32k after graduation. Although I did read another article about how some group is urging the mayor to reconsider a higher wage. But that would be far from realization I imagine.

Questions about the medical or psych? Feel free to post or PM me. I've passed them both before but am now due to take the medical again (good for only 12 months). From what it sounds like it'll be around the week of Feb 12th.

There's been some stuff on this link as well: FDNY Rant
    You'll need to set up a username just to browse.

Finally if we need to reference it, the old thread: fdny '05

Good luck everyone!

bam
    Last edited by ffbam24; 01-10-2006 at 01:54 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

It's about time for an '06 thread. Let's hope this is the last one we post in before getting on
    IAFF
    PFANJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Default 2008 thread

giddyap!!!

Forum Member

Finally! The year I will be hired (hopefully). FDNY has to be the longest wait in the country for a job I would venture to say. (except the last Chicago list which was ten years)

MembersZone Subscriber

Exclamation Have you seen this video???

We've seen "Ladder 49" and "Rescue Me". Both pretty good but only just touching on what firehouse life is like....

I just got done watching "Brotherhood - Life In The FDNY" on DVD.

Holy S***! You all have to get it and watch it!

There are scenes from The Rock and shot primarily with Squad 252, Rescue 4 and Rescue 1. This is an insider's documentary filmed post 9/11 to see what it was like to be a New York City Firefighter now.

For those of us still hoping and waiting to get the call, there is a line that is directed practically at us: "You aren't part of "the Brotherhood", you're part of the payroll. You aren't part of "the Brotherhood" until the brothers in the firehouse call you "brother"."

I'm not endorsed, but I didn't realize I could be more "fired-up" until I was watching this. Here's the link if anyone's interested: "Brotherhood - Life In The FDNY"

Good luck,
    bam
    Last edited by ffbam24; 01-13-2006 at 12:33 AM.

Forum Member

Brotherhood's a great movie saw it the other week. I like the part where the drill instructors screams "you want this job...then go get it"

Forum Member

I just got the letter for my psychological exam today. It says I have to go to Headquaters on January 31 for a six hour psychological screening. I'm #2279, anyone within that range should expect to get their letters.

Forum Member

Default Fdny

I have a question about the process. All you have to do is pass the physical and the written. Then if your number comes up you get a letter. How does the process work from there?

Forum Member

You take the written, get a score. Take the physical, then get a list number which is your ranking. From there you wait until they send you your information packet. You fill it out and take it to your interview where they make sure you have the proper forms and take your fingerprints for your background investigation. Then you wait til they send you a letter to report to your psych eval and medical. If you pass both of those and your background check you are certified for hire. Once your number is reached you get a letter notifying you that you've been accepted to proby school and you show up for swearing in. It's a very long process.

MembersZone Subscriber

Got my letter for my psych today. Report Jan 31. 2300s
    Last edited by BucksEngine78; 03-15-2006 at 09:36 AM.
    IAFF
    PFANJ

Forum Member

FDNY78...
    Yes, you have to take your Shirt off for the EKG. I got a huge BUFF Tattoo on my right arm, so dont worry about it. Its a Light Duty EMT doing your EKG they dont say or note anything so dont worry. O and the dr grabs your balls. But im sure it wont bother you. Ecspecially if you get the hot DR like i did. Neway the only thing that would effecdt you at your medical is not being medically qualified. Tattoos wont mean **** so dont worry. Less than 2 days til the fun begins guys...Cya there at 5am...

Forum Member

Question Interview

Is it like an oral board interview where they ask you why you want to be a firefighter and your experience or is it more to make sure you have all of your forms in order?

Forum Member

No, its not an oral board. Once your in the chair it takes less than five minutes. I don't know if I even spoke more than two sentences. All they do is verify that you have all the necessary forms. make sure you do so you don't look like a jack ***. They have a photo copier there to make copies for guys that forgot stuff. Just follow the directions and you will have no problems.

MembersZone Subscriber

Perhaps a dumb question but......

Is there a dress code for the psychological?
    IAFF
    PFANJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Tattoos wont mean **** so dont worry
    So my swastika and white power tattoo's shouldnt matter?

MembersZone Subscriber

Bucks, I'd go with the suit, haircut, clean shaven, business appropriate dress.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BucksEngine78
    Perhaps a dumb question but......

Is there a dress code for the psychological?
    On my letter for the Psychological it says in bold words that Casual dress is recommended. I don't think a suit is nessecery, I'm just going to make sure to show up looking neat.

Forum Member

Yeah, you don't need to wear a suit... there were guys in sweat pants at mine... there are so many people there and you're there for a pretty long time (at least 3 hours), so they're not gonna remember you as the guy who didn't wear a suit. I would wear comfortable khakis and a polo shirt or something along those lines...

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks guys.
    IAFF
    PFANJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Wasn't sure, I went up about a year and a half ago when I considered NYPD and it the very very few people who weren't wearing suits were extremely out of place. Didn't realize this was less formal, good to know.

By the way, heard another rumor (shame that's the only information that's available) that hiring packets went out to people in the 2800's, any confirmations on this?

Thread Information