Forum Member

VinnieB, I can see where it is benificial for y'all to use the 1 3/4" lines. More water, smaller than 2".
    The volunteer dept. i used to run with used 1 3/4" hose and i liked it pretty good. After working here where we use 1 1/2" hose i really like it better for smaller fires and 2" for the bigger stuff.
    GFDLT1, what station are you working out of ? We run with y'all some on the edges.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RFDtruckLt
    VinnieB, I can see where it is benificial for y'all to use the 1 3/4" lines. More water, smaller than 2".
    The volunteer dept. i used to run with used 1 3/4" hose and i liked it pretty good. After working here where we use 1 1/2" hose i really like it better for smaller fires and 2" for the bigger stuff.
    That's just it...what's a "small" fire. And how do you know when you get there? We wait for the truck to find it, and orders from the Engine boss as to were to stretch to......(unless its obvious, such as PDs and small MDs)...then we go. The way we work.....a small fire is one that can be handled with a can and 1 3/4" for precaution. But with regards to taxpayers.....even if the fire is "small"....the 2 1/2" is was gets pulled.

We also do not use crosslays. Everything comes off the backstep. And we backstretch at fires. My company has 4 hose beds.....8 lengths of 3.5", 10 lengths of 2.5" filled out with 6 lengths of 1.75", another bed of the same...but with 8 lengths of 2.5", and a 2.5" bed of 10 lengths.
    Last edited by VinnieB; 01-27-2006 at 06:29 PM.

Forum Member

Waiting for the truck to find the fire is an option I wish we had. For us, 8 times out of 10 the engine is first on scene by at least a minute. The officer makes the call for the hose, and while he's doing his size up the firefighter(s) stretch the line into position. Once we get in we advise the second due engine what to pull.

Forum Member

RFDTruckLT- I am the Lt on Eng 1, A shift. I just got transferred there in Sept. I had been at sta 3 for previous 3 1\2 or 4 years.

firefighter7160
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking 150 feet here..

We had 1 1/2 inch lines tell 2 years ago. Now we use 1 3/4 lines. I miss the old 1 1/2 lines. But the new lines are just as good. Are Dept. went with the hole, more water, the better thought. But what ever they give me to take in the house ill go with. Someone said a 2 inch line (dam) now thats getting up there. Id hate to have to get that in a stucture And move around with.

Does any use a redline at structures any more????
    just asking.....

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

My volly FD uses 2 inch exclusively for attack lines. We have had no problem at all manuevering it around inside of buildings and like the extra comfort of knowing we can get big water right now from it.

FyredUp

firefighter7160
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

[QUOTE=Dave1983]You would be surprised at how easy 2" is to work with. Better flow/less friction loss then 1 3/4", much easier to move then a 2 1/2". We put 2 " in our hi-rise pacs and love it. Next time we buy attack hose it will probably be 2".

Ill see if i can get about 150 ft of 2 inch line... Try it out and see how it is. We might like it..

Forum Member

Wink Pre-connect line length

Our first in engine has 2-200', 1-250', 1-150', and 1-100' trash line. I know of a couple of surrounding depts running 250'-350' lines. I have had experience on the fireground with long length proconnect lays and they just waste time, and on an 1 1/2" line anything over 250' your losing ground with friction loss. If your going to run long lays why not 2 1/2" with a gated wye or similar setups, you won't be losing on friction loss and you can always add another line.

Thread Information