Forum Member

Default Is Philly going Back to KME

Now i know many, many will say it will never happen, but was at KME about month ago, not even, and a big group of people from the Philadelphia Fire Department where at KME looking over the new predator engine, and it was even more surprising, it was the same Day LA County was KME doing some inspections on there new engine, with there new predator cab, and what a engine they will be. but was surprsing to see Philly there when all you hear on here is that they will never go with KME again, heard they are looking at either refurbs of there present KME's or new ones, anyone else hear anything in that range, and i know i will be called a liar for this, but my eyes don't lie

MembersZone Subscriber

NOoooo Not the K-Mart Engine.....
    "Training doesn't make you a good fireman, fighting fire makes you a good fireman"
    http://thedarksideof911.blogspot.com/
    FTM-PTB-EGH
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Perhaps you saw someone from Philadelphia, Mississippi????

I find it hard to believe (and especially amusing as well) that, because as far as I know, the lawsuit hasnt even been settled yet over the 2 towers.

Unfortunately, if the bean counters (who arent even FD personnel) say "Thou shalt purchase the in-state builder as thy rebates are quite the incentive" they have no choice but to buy from the in-state builder.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Well i never knew of any bean counters, yes they are in charge of paying the bill, but never knew of them going to a plant to look at vehicles, but i could be wrong, and what in state incentive are they getting , i want to hear about this one, the only departments in the state that i know get a incentive if they buy from a in-state builder are volly companies, and that is on the 2 % loan program, i don't think philly is a volly department, but again unless there is another state program that no one knows about, please tell, it would be very helpful to a lot of people

Forum Member

Maybe the Mechanics for Philly fire put it in their contract that Philly must have KME. They need the job security. Remember their are Keeping Mechanics Employed.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ledebuhr1
    Maybe the Mechanics for Philly fire put it in their contract that Philly must have KME. They need the job security. Remember their are Keeping Mechanics Employed.
    Maybe the apparatus contract was awarded to ( KME ) being the lowest bidder ! The last trucks philly purchased where low bid " ALF " aerials & pumpers.

Forum Member

Exclamation i need your help

we have a kme quint 100 ft rear mount ladder it has failed at 4 major fires sence we got it i need info from anyone that has had problems with your kme or any lawsuits you can reach me offline at massffpm60@yahoo.com

MembersZone Subscriber

I don't know how KME was the low bidder on anything, they just overbid my towns new aerial spec by 105,000 dollars!

MembersZone Subscriber

You know, every one bashes KME but ya know, a LOT of departments run them with success. My department owns 3 of them, a '97, '01 and a brand spanking new one that is at KME right now being repaired becuase it was wrecked. My engine is the '97 and has never been out of service for anything other than a busted oil pan and we blew the alternator about 2 years ago. Yeah two of them are commercial International cabs.

KME has come a long way and they aren't the only company that has problems, i.e. Seagrave and the FDNY mess. If you don't like them great, but ya know, they are a pretty decent company. It just so happens that they had a few issues with some high profile departments and suddenly they are one of the worst manufactuers.
    Firefighter/EMT-B
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Just a thought, not many departments own KME's in Pennsylvania.

Forum Member

That'a an interesting fact. With KME in state you would think they sell alot in PA. How many peices of apparatus in PA? How many are KME? What company sells the most?

Forum Member

Define "not many".
    PA is loaded with KME's. Now I'll admit I can't back that up with factual numbers, but in my travels I've seen an awful lot of KME in PA. In my line of work I visit PA firehouses every day. Maybe I should start keeping a count.

Forum Member

There is a large number of " Pierce " apparatus in the state of PA, due to the dealer ship of ( Glick Fire Equipment ) who has opened in 3 locations in the Pa, area!

Forum Member

MEAN15:

In relationship to the number of departments in the state to the number of KME's that are in the state. In comparision there are a large percentage of KME's in other states. If I would have to guess I would have to guess Pierce has the largest percentage in PA.

There are pockets of areas in the state that have a lot of KME's for that area, for example the southeastern area of PA. However when you get into the central PA area there are very few KME's.

This is just my observations from my travels across the US, and yes I travel a lot for my job which takes me to many fire stations across the US.
    Last edited by Chief1FF; 02-13-2006 at 11:58 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Living here in the keystone state, you do state a very interesting point about what appartaus are run. It seems that every department has one KME. There are many departments in Pa that will never buy another. I have belonged to two departments that will only ever own one KME. The trend seems that if you can afford it, the departments go with Pierce mainly, but there are others. A couple local departments took Smeal deliveries recently, along with a few Eone, engines. Pierce seems to have a corner on the ladder market in Eastern Pa from what I have seem. Like said previously, I have no numbers just personal observations.

Forum Member

Yes, I imagine Pierce leads the way in PA. Glick does sell a lot of firetrucks in PA. It seems like Sutphen is making a dent in Pa as well. I was basically questioning the phrase "not many." IN MY OPINION, there are quite a few.

Oh, by the way - I live and work in central PA, and am well aquainted with this area's fire apparatus.
    Last edited by MEAN15; 02-13-2006 at 04:04 PM.

Thread Information