Thread: New guy in IA.

Forum Member

Default New guy in IA.

Just wanted to say hello to all. Recently out of the military after some time in the sandbox. I would like to one day become a FF in the city of Des Moines.
    Any advice from the vets?

Thanks,
    Gabe

Forum Member

Welcome! and good like. How was the sandbox? my friend is on his way over... RTO / Convoy transport with Army.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GABE21D
    Just wanted to say hello to all. Recently out of the military after some time in the sandbox. I would like to one day become a FF in the city of Des Moines.
    Any advice from the vets?

Thanks,
    Gabe

DMFD is hiring NOW!!! Go to city hall and get an application in this week.

Forum Member

Missingpattaya,
    Thanks for the heads up! I have already picked up an application and will turn it in this week. Have you heard any good or bad info on the DMFD? I was looking into it but since I work full time and live a city away I cant really get the time to find out. Also I speak fluent Spanish and was wondering if that would help.

Thanks,
    Gabe

Forum Member

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by S8ER95Z
    Welcome! and good like. How was the sandbox? my friend is on his way over... RTO / Convoy transport with Army.
    The sandbox sucked about as much as you could expect it to. I was a medic with the infantry so much of my time was spent on either patrol or on raids on homes. As for for your buddy I wish him luck and hope he gets a quiet area. Convoy transport huh? I wouldn't do that for a million bucks!! Something about a big ole truck that screams RPG or IED target!! I really admired the guys that did that. Hope that answers your questions. Let me know if you have any more.

Gabe

Forum Member

About what I expected. He was shown some pretty..umm.. intersting sniper videos from the other side. with that lovely antenna over his head he is sure to be a prime target..(he is 2nd on their list I guess) he was with 102nd (charlie company) at Ft Cambell when he was active .. not he is volunteered with Iowa guard and got shafted... he doesn't mind the roll out.. just would rather be packing the saw again. Thanks for the good word man.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by S8ER95Z
    About what I expected. He was shown some pretty..umm.. intersting sniper videos from the other side. with that lovely antenna over his head he is sure to be a prime target..(he is 2nd on their list I guess) he was with 102nd (charlie company) at Ft Cambell when he was active .. not he is volunteered with Iowa guard and got shafted... he doesn't mind the roll out.. just would rather be packing the saw again. Thanks for the good word man.
    I was with the 187 inf at campell when i first went in back in 98-00.As for snipers i would worry more about the IEDs as they tend to use those more. Snipers you worry about more on foot patrol in urban areas,at least we did in our area. When i got off of active a recruiter for the IA gaurd tried to enlist me. Needles to say i said no as it was pretty much a gauranted trip back to the box.What unit is he with?

Gabe

Forum Member

Welcome from New Jersey.
    When opening up the roof remember plywood comes in 4' X 8' sheets.

www.94firedept.com

IACOJ proud member

Forum Member

GABE - He was in Cambell from 00-02 and spent 6 months over in Kosovo.. I actually was on base a few times after sept 11th. You guys have all of my respect! Thank you for your service.

Thread Information