Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Prep for Civil service...

Hi. I'm looking to get the best advantage I can on the civil service exam. I have about 6 months before the next one is offered here in my area. Please give me any book references, etc that you can. I appreciate it. Thanks.

Kevin
    NRH, TX

Forum Member

I bought one of the study guides way back when. You used to could find them at any bookstore. Our CC test is four part. Reading comprehension, math, mechanical reasoning(If wheel A turns this direction which way does wheel Z turn and how fast)and chart interpretation. My week point was always math, so I spent most of my time doing practice math problems. One of the guides can't hurt. Does the city offer study guides? Ours offers one for a fee to those preparing for the test. Good luck!

Q6cap

Exclamation It depends...

Quote Originally Posted by 1BlessedGuy
    Hi. I'm looking to get the best advantage I can on the civil service exam. I have about 6 months before the next one is offered here in my area. Please give me any book references, etc that you can. I appreciate it.
    Kevin, it totally depends on your city's testing practices. When I was testing for jobs, one city handed out study guides full of fire-service related information and then tested directly from them. The city where I was hired offered a general aptitude type of test. No prior firefighting knowledge was required. It covered listening (listen to a recording, take notes, answer questions about it at the end of the test), some reading comprehension and basic language & math skills.

Regardless of what type of test your city is offering, your local bookstore will have something to help you. Both the generic civil service books as well as the firefighter entry test books helped me out... if for no other reason than it got me taking tests and getting used to it ahead of time.

BUGGY5632
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

What has worked for me is any of the study guides, whether it is Barron's or Arco. You can get them at Barnes and Noble, Borders or Waldenbooks.

Thread Information