Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Elevator Training Info desperately needed

Does anyone have any written material or powerpoint to use for an elevator training class. Elevator companies are very secretive of their designs and refuse to release any information. If so can you pass it along to My Email

Any help is greatly appreciated.

More info?

Height, cable or hydraulic, age, Fire service settings, blind shafts, etc...

I believe there is a very good class on this being taught at FDIC this year.
    Just know, I chose my own fate. I drove by the fork in the road and went straight.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingKiwi View Post
    Go put your pussy 2 1/2" lines away kiddies.

Quote Originally Posted by Explorer343

By the way KEEPBACK200FEET, you're so dramatic!

Quote Originally Posted by E229Lt
    More info?

Height, cable or hydraulic, age, Fire service settings, blind shafts, etc...
    Basics, how they operate (all types). Emergency procedures on lowering, roof hatch info, Shaft shut offs...basically anything we might need to know as firefighters respopnding to trapped occupants. Thanks!

MembersZone Subscriber

Have you looked at any of the independant elevator service companies? We have one in this area that provides a 4 hour in-service to each shift every few years.
    -------------------
    "The most mediocre man or woman can suddenly seem dynamic, forceful, and decisive if he or she is mean enough." from "Crazy Bosses"
    -----------------------------------------------
    Genius has its limits, but stupidity is boundless.

MembersZone Subscriber

Get in touch with your Otis, Dover or Schindler elevator company. They can put on an excellent class and give you to do's and don'ts associated with elevators nowadays. Good luck.

Forum Member

We have Montgomery/(Kone) in the area here..
    http://www.kone.com/en_US/main/0,,,00.html

Not sure if that will help anyone out in the area..but I believe they would be more than willing to cooperate with the fire department.

Looked at the elevator companies and they want $1,200 for a class. I just want some basic info on rescues to go over on a shift training.

Doo600, check your email. I sent you a powerpoint I put together.
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

Forum Member

99% of all local companies will respond in an emergency. 24/7. You need not be climbing all over the car, in or out of the shaft..rigging or any of that junk. If you don't know, don't be doin it. Any of the manufacturers will be happy to help in an emergency.
    FF/NREMT-B

FTM-PTB!!

Brass does not equal brains.

Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

Forum Member

My company does at least two or three stuck elevators a tour.Most of the time we have the occupants out with-in 5 minutes.It is relativly simple once you've done it enough. Check out the New York Firefighters Burn Center Foundation web site, I belive they sell the FDNY training tape on removing people from stuck elevators.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Doo600
    Looked at the elevator companies and they want $1,200 for a class. I just want some basic info on rescues to go over on a shift training.
    Here's an idea thats gauranteed to work. Since you haven't been trained in the proper operation and safe removal of persons...I'm sure that some damage will probably occur to the system. Next elevator run...shut the system off and if you should have to force a door with the bags so be it. The damage and resulting headache for the mechanics will persuade them to drop this $1200 fee. I know most gas companies and electrical companies consider it part of their public relations/safety programs to teach or partner with the local FD for a training video on their operations. I'm sure one of the bigger companies if approached while on building inspections will acquiesce to your request.

I looked through all the reference materials I have and strangely enough I can't realy find much on elevators. Neither Montagna, Norman, Downey(RIP) or anyone else has much on elevators in their books. All I could find was my depts operational procedures which aren't on the web.

Vincent Dunn covers some in Safety and Survival I think in regards to fireground operations. And on the free issue of www.Firenuggets.com at http://firenuggets.com/free.htm.

Some basics:

-Make sure doors/contacts are closed, try normal recall buttons, then try recall with the 1620 key.
    -There are incidents and there are emergencies...learn the difference.
    -Any thing past this...SHUT OFF ELEVATOR and leave man at position to avoid someone from restarting it.
    -Look into two speed elevators and if you have any.
    -Learn how to use the different keys and where they will be used.
    -Learn how to safely pole.
    -Learn about the counter weight and control cable.
    -Removal, Up and out, try to avoid "down and out" at all costs...shaft is open, possible fall hazzard to occupants.
    -Always move persons in and out as fast as possible in case car moves.
    -Avoid entering any sort of pit walk-in or jump-in if at all possible.
    -Learn about limit switches and how to activiate them.
    -Never allow members to enter shaft without being tied off to rope and secured.
    -Don't rely on the mechanics to help in an emergency...they won't arrive in time in all likelyhood.

It really isn't that complicated...you just have to learn some basics. Most all incidents can be handled safely with 5-6 men.

FTM-PTB
    Last edited by FFFRED; 01-11-2006 at 07:30 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Ahhhh Matty is right...I remember that video. It is a little dated and fairly dry but it covers the basics.

FTM-PTB

There is a Batallion Chief in Wilmington, De. His name is Houselbeck (something like that, sorry for the vagueness, cant remember his name verbatim or the spelling) that does a fantastic elevator presentation, I caught it at the Philadelphia Fire Academy about 6 or 8 years ago. See if you cant track him down, maybe he can help. He also does a hell of a shipboard firefighting presentation.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Quote Originally Posted by SPFDRum
    Doo600, check your email. I sent you a powerpoint I put together.
    Got it, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by MattyJ
    My company does at least two or three stuck elevators a tour.Most of the time we have the occupants out with-in 5 minutes.It is relativly simple once you've done it enough. Check out the New York Firefighters Burn Center Foundation web site, I belive they sell the FDNY training tape on removing people from stuck elevators.
    Great, I'm gonna order it tomorrow!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff
    There is a Batallion Chief in Wilmington, De. His name is Houselbeck (something like that, sorry for the vagueness, cant remember his name verbatim or the spelling) that does a fantastic elevator presentation, I caught it at the Philadelphia Fire Academy about 6 or 8 years ago. See if you cant track him down, maybe he can help. He also does a hell of a shipboard firefighting presentation.
    I'm on the case!

my local academy has a great class on it, the instructor even came out to give our company the class at the local highschool and even showed us some things about the elevators they had. the academy's website is www.morrisacademy.org

Forum Member

If you have a local housing authority or a complex of buildings at least, ask their elevator mechanics to explain the easiest way to open them. They may even give you some of the homemade tools they use. They always update us on new techniques and tools (our company, not the job) It is in their best interest. Take the elevator company and your job out of the mix and you'll probabply learn all you need to know from the men in the street.

Our dept. is going to do this training also. Just the basics, our community has approx. 10 - 3 stroy buildings that haven't trapped anyone yet. Just would like to the basics of getting them out. It would cost to much to get a instructor in our remote area. A powerpoint, video anything would help?
    Do not equate money with success. There are many successful moneymakers who are miserable failures as human beings.
    What counts most about success is how a person achieves it.

Nordy

Thread Information