MembersZone Subscriber

Default Ever heard of working for two depts?

Just curious to see if any of you guys have heard of this before. One guy on our shift works for another area department. Both full-time on IAFF departments. Both jobs work a 24/72 schedule, so his personal schedule is 24/24. Sure, I've heard of guys working part-time gigs and such, but I've never heard of a guy that does what he does. He's been at one about eight years and ours five years. There hasn't ever been any conflicts that I know of.

Forum Member

We had a guy who worked for us (in KY) for two years and started the other job (in IN) for four days. Once some members of the KY dept found out, they ratted him out to the chief and they forced him to resign.

MembersZone Subscriber

That is just plain greedy. I am outraged.

NO wait , nevermind I am just jealous

Heck, maybe if he can get a third, he could make all that money, and sell his house. jsut kidding of course!

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

So what you're saying is that he's taking a job away from a Union brother at the other job...so this guy, who already has a full time job, is stealing an EXISTING full time job that could be a position for another UNION firefighter.

I hope the same people who have hissy fits about volunteers "stealing" Union jobs that never existed in the first place, will chime in on this issue.....
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream and I hope you don't find this too crazy is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Forum Member

(chime)... He is working two full-time jobs w/full pay, full benefits, and paying two sets of union dues,not doing what this post describes.

If someone breaks a rule in your dept. and you do something about it, are you having a "hissy fit"?

Forum Member

I know of several firefighters around here that are employed by two career departments. I am not sure what the official line on it is but I personally think that it is too much fire department.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by dmleblanc
    So what you're saying is that he's taking a job away from a Union brother at the other job...so this guy, who already has a full time job, is stealing an EXISTING full time job that could be a position for another UNION firefighter.

Are you asking me Chief ??

MembersZone Subscriber

No. Providence R.I. : Land of the "How ya doins"

There was a guy around here who was the full time deputy of a small (25 members) career dept. and a private on a much larger (220 members) career dept. at the same time. He ended up getting a career ending injury at the larger FD and had to retire, good guy, just wanted to make a good living for his family's sake. His 2 sons are friends of mine and on a career dept. adjacent to mine.
    "I have no ambition in this world but one, and that is to be a fireman. The position may, in the eyes of some, appear to be a lowly one; but we know the work which a fireman has to do believe that his is a noble calling."

Edward F. Croker
    Chief 1899-1911
    Fire Dept. City of New York

HOOK N' CAN of the I.A.C.O.J.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SFDredhat126
    One guy on our shift works for another area department. Both full-time on IAFF departments. Both jobs work a 24/72 schedule, so his personal schedule is 24/24.
    What happens if he gets promoted and has to change shifts at one job, and it impacts the other? What if he gets hurt?

I've seen this happen a few times around here, mostly when a guy was on probation at a new dept and wanted to have a backup. In most cases they get found out and fired. One had time trades for 6 months while he went through the academy for a larger dept in another state, there was a big controversy when the city accused members of the dept of working for him for pay. He was fired, and is now suing the FD.

Regardless of his right to work wherever he wants when he is off duty, these situations always look bad to the general public.

Forum Member

I work full time for one department and then I pull relief shifts for guys on vacation/sick days at another. Granted I am not stealing a union job from another brother...just filling in when someones sick.

Forum Member

I have to disagree with my union brothers here.

It's not right... period.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

i too work full time at a union department and fill in sick/vac at a combo department.

Forum Member

I do know that the charolette fire dept lets there folks work at more than one fd.. do i think it is right NOT at all.. but this is the usa so anything goes. heck you can be a ff in town and a chief at your home town..sad but true.it is hire your buddy thing. at a fd in near by meck cnty i do know of a few guys layed off from work. did they get hired heck no.. like i said it is hire your buddy.... in know way i am saying the cfd guys are bad. they are great firefighters but it is just not right

Forum Member

ncbrush where else is there a paid dept. in Mecklenberg County? Charlotte is the only one I know of. Now I know of a few who might volunteer at a few places.

capfiremedic
    Firehouse.com Guest

We have a few folks who do that here, and there's been no problem with it, wither with the public or the Departments. There are paid Firefighters that also are members of the Volunteer Departments... would that be a problem? If ya love the job and can provide a service that is needed (and it's desperately needed down here) then do it. Besides, with "Professional" pay rates here ya almost qualify for welfare benefits...

MembersZone Subscriber

Here, outside employment is OK as long as it is approved by the ethics commission. If they approve it then its ok.

It's not like he is taking a job away from another union brother, he is paying dues to both locals. It's not unlike having, for example, an electrician or plumbing job on the side. If you work part time in any of the trades as a non union worker then you are taking away a union job.

Just my $.02
    Last edited by KCrutchMCFR; 02-08-2006 at 09:53 AM. Reason: spelling

MembersZone Subscriber

There are two guys on my old dept that I know of that did this. They worked 24hr shifts @ both places. Schedule at each place was 24 on 48 off. So 1 day off out of 3. YUK!

MembersZone Subscriber

Smile My two cents.......

For what it' s worth..... I see nothing wrong with what he is doing. As far as taking the position of another union brother, I think that is a crock of crap..... he tested for both Departments, right? Obviously he is the best qualified individual for both Departments, right? Both Departments have to know that he is working at the other Department also. The only real issue I see is that it must be crazy on his family life......... I know I have already lost one family to this occupation, I wanna keep the one I got now; who am I to tell a fella how to live his life though, to each their own right?

"Be LOUD, Be PROUD, it just might save your can going through an intersection!!!!!!!!!!!"

MembersZone Subscriber

Default 2 departments

Due to the NJ state pension rules, it would be impossible for someone to work to FF jobs for a government entity (state, county or muncipal). however i do know of people who work as a full time career and do dome part time industrial brigade work. and i guess someone could truly fudge something with another state or federal.

Forum Member

Exclamation

I posted on this topic before, and after reading a few of the replies, I have to think....

We discourage people from "two hat" in a career and volunteer FDs where the VFD works in the same county/community as the career firefighter.

We call volunteers who belong to 2 and 3 different FD's "whackers".

Why are we willing to "look the "other way" when someone works in two career FD's?

It smacks of a double standard, and it does take away the opportunity for a potential Brother to earn a living.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Thread Information