Like Tree3Likes

Thread: fairfax county

Forum Member

Default Patiently waiting

I am a paramedic who just finished up all my testing for fairfax county fire department last week. I have passed all the steps thank god!!! How long can I expect to wait until I hear something from recruiting. I know that they are planning on starting another class in August. How soon ahead of time do they call to offer the invites?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default RE: Anyone in the April 28th ALS Pilot Program for Fairfax?

I've been accepted to the ALS pilot program for Fairfax County beginning Apr. 28.I'm told we are to be trained and recertified for ems, after which we will complete the supression portion.Other than that, I'm not exactly sure how the program works.Is anyone else beginning at this date?Also,I'm curious to hear how people are preparing physically for either the cpat or recruit school.Can anyone describe what to expect in regards to physical training for recruit school?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by edpmedic View Post
    I've been accepted to the ALS pilot program for Fairfax County beginning Apr. 28.I'm told we are to be trained and recertified for ems, after which we will complete the supression portion.Other than that, I'm not exactly sure how the program works.Is anyone else beginning at this date?Also,I'm curious to hear how people are preparing physically for either the cpat or recruit school.Can anyone describe what to expect in regards to physical training for recruit school?
    I just got accepted into the recruit school for march 3rd. Physical fitness wise I am currently training like I did for the CPAT; weighted vest, lots of compound leg exercises: squats, lunges, high jumps, stairs, and the usual upper body. My friend who is in the mclean station said to do as much cardio as possible to get prepped to run Mt. "Trashmore" and Hellweek portion of recruit school. To my understanding, you start off with the EMS portion(even if you are NREMT) to get familiar with their protocols/standing orders. Then end with fire suppression, so they build up on the daily exercises. Kobersteen can give a more definite answer.

Forum Member

Hey Edpmedic, I was just curious as to what the pilot program was.

Also I'm looking for some advice. I'll have my medic certification in May. I've been told by a few of the medics that come into the ER I work at to just apply when I'm nationally registered, and the ALS certification would help speed things up. How true is this if anyone knows?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kobersteen View Post
    Depends. Are you a Paramedic?
    Kobersteen,

Some of the medics down on Richmond Highway have said that things are going to slow down dramatically in the very near future as far as hiring. Will there still be a demand for paramedics over the next year? The reason I ask is because I dont want to accept a position somewhere else and pass up the chance to work for FC.

Forum Member

Default Haven't heard anything yet

First off Congrats to you for making it!!

I finished all testing a month ago and also have Medic (6yrs), HazMat Tech, Rescue Diver, FF-I and Tech Rescue.(Also ACLS-I, PALS-I, PHTLS-I and BLS-I). I too have been anxiously awaiting something from recruitment as well as a couple of medics I met and know from testing. I have only heard as much as you and that we (or for now you) will do a pilot program where you are on the bus and learn the protocols. I was also told (not fact, but what I was told) that there are 4 PA's on staff that will recert you in ALS, BLS, PALS, and PHTLS? even if you have the cert already.
    After the new academy recruits are through the medical portion of the academy I heard that ALS will join them and do the suppression part. As far as physical fitness, I am a FF from denver and I was running 3miles a day and doing 45- 1 hr on the weights a day. Cardio was huge for us but they did love to dish out the push ups! Again congrats and stay safe as you walk where the devil dances!

Rabble rouser

(Wow! I have never felt so wanted... <barf!> )

epdmedic: What you have described is what they have done with newly hired ALS providers for some years now.

The pilot program that they have in school now are, I believe, 5 'prehire ALS providers'. Those ALS providers review protocols, most likely recert ACLS, BTLS and PALS and then head to medic units for their internship. Each 'intern' is assigned a particular Medic unit and that is where they ride four days a week. The other day, they are in training at either Tysons or the Academy... I would assume Tysons. After four months (I believe), they join their 'full' rookie class for suppression training.

As long as you keep moderately fit between CPAT and rookie school, you'll be fine. Personally, I detest running, but I didn't have a great amount of difficulty with the running at all. Just dig deep, realize what doesn't kill you makes you stronger and look to the light at the end of the tunnel (cliche mode off). You'll survive... trust me. I look back at my days in the academy in awe at the shape I was in.

Marshall7: Put in the application now and let the County know when you get card in hard. Trust me, it is going to take you until past May to go through the entire process. The NR card will most likely speed things up, but why wait?

Things are indeed slowing down on the rookie-school side. They used to put through concurrent schools (more than one school at the FTA at a time), but now Fairfax has started a 'one class at a time' thing.

Did I leave anything out?
    Member IACOJ - Building crust and full of lust...

"It's okay to to scared, just don't be chicken." - Clark

Forum Member

Default Thanks Kobersteen

(Wow! I have never felt so wanted... <barf!> )

epdmedic: What you have described is what they have done with newly hired ALS providers for some years now.

The pilot program that they have in school now are, I believe, 5 'prehire ALS providers'. Those ALS providers review protocols, most likely recert ACLS, BTLS and PALS and then head to medic units for their internship. Each 'intern' is assigned a particular Medic unit and that is where they ride four days a week. The other day, they are in training at either Tysons or the Academy... I would assume Tysons. After four months (I believe), they join their 'full' rookie class for suppression training.

As long as you keep moderately fit between CPAT and rookie school, you'll be fine. Personally, I detest running, but I didn't have a great amount of difficulty with the running at all. Just dig deep, realize what doesn't kill you makes you stronger and look to the light at the end of the tunnel (cliche mode off). You'll survive... trust me. I look back at my days in the academy in awe at the shape I was in.

Marshall7: Put in the application now and let the County know when you get card in hard. Trust me, it is going to take you until past May to go through the entire process. The NR card will most likely speed things up, but why wait?

Things are indeed slowing down on the rookie-school side. They used to put through concurrent schools (more than one school at the FTA at a time), but now Fairfax has started a 'one class at a time' thing.

As a paramedic I am curious as to how many medics they are hiring for the April start date? Thanks for your participation and help. It's a good thing the Psych test is over this waiting is driving me crazy, LOL.

Forum Member

The NR card will most likely speed things up, but why wait?

yes kobe, it will speed things up dramatically :-) even if you are from ohio

MembersZone Subscriber

Marshall7, take Kobersteen's advice, and get the ball rolling. I began the process in Oct '06 with 1yr experience as a medic, and 3yrs bls. My certs initially were NYS medic, and NYC REMAC. I was told that I would need NREMT-P to be considered a firemedic candidate. I took the med/psych/poly in March.I failed the first poly, handed in my NR-P, passed the second poly in June or July (I forget exactly when).I received a letter confirming the successful completion of the process in Aug. '07. I received a job offer on the last week of Dec. for early January. I was unable to initially accept the position on short notice, but luckily I am now able to start in Apr. Anyway, to make a long story even longer, if I had passed the first poly, the process from entrance exam to job offer probably would have been approx. one year. I believe the sooner that you get NR-P, the quicker the process should go. In the meantime, try to knock out as many steps of the process as you can. I feel I am extremely lucky, as without NR-P I may not have had the opportunity for the second poly. Good luck!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by jklm128 View Post
    I just got accepted into the recruit school for march 3rd. Physical fitness wise I am currently training like I did for the CPAT; weighted vest, lots of compound leg exercises: squats, lunges, high jumps, stairs, and the usual upper body. My friend who is in the mclean station said to do as much cardio as possible to get prepped to run Mt. "Trashmore" and Hellweek portion of recruit school. To my understanding, you start off with the EMS portion(even if you are NREMT) to get familiar with their protocols/standing orders. Then end with fire suppression, so they build up on the daily exercises. Kobersteen can give a more definite answer.
    When I was preparing for the CPAT, in addition to standard equipment, my gym had a stepmill, a 35 lb vest, kettlebells, and an olympic weightlifting platform with bumper plates. I would wear the vest, hold 35lb plates, set the mill at 70/min, then hold for time. When I would fail, I would ditch the plates ,and continue. At the end, I did six mins. at 70, then four more with vest only. I also did some olympic weightlifting, some crossfit workouts (fran, linda, grace, the bear). "Roadwork" also works really well: go to a track, run 1/4 lap, do burpees, pushups, or squat cleans with dumbbells do another 1/4 lap, repeat as desired. For people who don't have access to gyms or fancy equipment, I advise buying some kettlebells. Lifeline USA has excellent prices. Do burpees, which are squat thrusts with a pushup at the bottom, and a explosive jump at the top. Begin with five sets, five reps, one minute rest between sets. Increase to ten sets of five, progress to ten of ten, then work on decreasing the rest periods to 30 seconds. Tabata thrusters work well. I use 30lb bells, do max reps for 20 seconds, rest for ten, then repeat for total eight cycles. Additionally, breathing ladders work great. Originally designed for MMA, this has tremendous carryover for the SCBA. Pick an exercise. I use hang squat cleans with 95lbs. Do one rep, take one breath, do two reps, take two breaths, do three reps, take three breaths, four/four, five/five, etc. This is a continuous set. You can breathe as you wish while you do the reps, but you cannot pause with the weight until you finish the last rep. This teaches you to control your breathing, and not to hyperventilate. If you breathe too quickly, you decrease your rest, making the following sets more difficult. I like wind sprints. I also bought a 28kg kettlebell, which I like to use for circuits mixed with sprints. I hope this benefits someone.

Rabble rouser

Quote Originally Posted by jdmedic View Post
    As a paramedic I am curious as to how many medics they are hiring for the April start date? Thanks for your participation and help. It's a good thing the Psych test is over this waiting is driving me crazy, LOL.
    Well, I think much depends on the number of ALS applicants they have ready to go at the time. Also it is no secret that Fairfax County attempts to make their rookie classes as diverse as possible, so a minority or female ALS provider may well have to beat Fairfax County off with a stick!

My class had about 10, but I believe that the prehires in right now equal 4 or 5.
    Last edited by Kobersteen; 02-14-2008 at 04:57 PM. Reason: wrong tense.

MembersZone Subscriber

jdmedic, when you get an official job offer, I recommend calling the recruiting office, and request to speak with someone who can forward an application for the magnet housing program. I was told that this program is for police, fire, nurses, and I think, teachers. Availability is limited, so apply as soon as you get the offer. If not, plan to travel. If your commute is about 10 miles each way, and your car gets about 20 mpg, your fuel costs driving five days/wk will be about $60. For every five miles further away that you live, your fuel costs will increase $30/month. So, if you choose to live fifty miles away, you'll pay approx. $300/month. Keep this in mind, as it may not necessarily be beneficial to live one hour away to save a few hundred on rent. If you plan to buy, that is a different story. My calculations are based on regular gas price of $3.00/gal.

Forum Member

Default Thanks again Kobersteen

Well, I think much depends on the number of ALS applicants they have ready to go at the time. Also it is no secret that Fairfax County attempts to make their rookie classes as diverse as possible, so a minority or female ALS provider may well have to beat Fairfax County off with a stick!

My class has about 10, but I believe that the prehires in right now equal 4 or 5.
    Thanks for the reply's Kobersteen and edpmedic

I am in contact with recruiting (A.D.- she is awesome btw) as often as I can without being a pain in the butt. Should I be calling the Capt. occasionally as well? My friend and I are both white male medics who have made it through the process and we are really hoping for offers. (Our completed files should be done this week- takes a while for all reports to come in) Being ALS we were just both hoping to be included in this hiring round and wondered if all the ALS slots would fill up before we were done.

As far as being diverse- everyone should respect and expect it from any department that hires equally competent people from those who apply. Male female, brown, black, white who cares we are all brothers.(Sorry-Former Civil Rights Chair)

edpmedic- As far as areas to live in I have looked an hour away in winchester and mananas but am not counting my chickens before they hatch. But it would be a great problem to have if I did get an offer. :-)

Thanks again to you guys for taking the time to be in these forums, for guys like myself and other hopefuls it's pretty great.

MembersZone Subscriber

jdmedic, congratulations for completing the process! My wife spoke to Kobersteen, he was extremely helpful in giving us advice in regards to housing. I'm from NYC, so I'm the wrong person to ask about housing. My advice would be to drive through the apts. and surrounding area, if possible, at various times, such as 1900, 2300, 0200, etc. Things may look quiet and picturesque during the day, but it may be a totally different scene at night.

Forum Member

The Homeland Security Funds are running out across the region. Let's turn back one or two of the Ambulance Buses and hire a few more guys.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

My class has about 10, but I believe that the prehires in right now equal 4 or 5.
    About how many medics would you say are in the recruitment file at any given time?

Rabble rouser

Should I be calling the Capt. occasionally as well?
    Calling the recruitment Captain is not necessary right now, but call A.D. about every 3 weeks and just say you are just checking on progress. Given that you are ALS and your file is done, there isn't much to do.[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by epdmedic
    My wife spoke to Kobersteen
    Now I'm starting to make the connection! Congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by DennisTheMenace
    Let's turn back one or two of the Ambulance Buses and hire a few more guys.
    I think those were bought with grant money specifically for the purpose. Can't argue with your intent though!

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall7
    About how many medics would you say are in the recruitment file at any given time?
    That I don't know. I don't think there are many in the 'completed' section, though.

Forum Member

Calling the recruitment Captain is not necessary right now, but call A.D. about every 3 weeks and just say you are just checking on progress. Given that you are ALS and your file is done, there isn't much to do.

Now I'm starting to make the connection! Congrats!

I think those were bought with grant money specifically for the purpose. Can't argue with your intent though!

That I don't know. I don't think there are many in the 'completed' section, though.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for all your help in this thread. I'm ready to get things moving and hope to be hired on within the next year and a half.

FossilMedic

Quote Originally Posted by DennisTheMenace View Post
    The Homeland Security Funds are running out across the region.
    The Fairfax County Fire Chief was prohibited by the county executive to apply for federal SAFER funding to establish additional firefighter positions.

The slowdown in the hiring process is due to (a) slowdown in the rate of old farts retiring and (b) shortfall in the estimated county income from real estate taxes.

A note from the president of the Fairfax County Professional Fire and Rescue Officer's Association:

On January 3, 2008, the Presidents of all the employee groups met with Chief Mastin, Assistant Chief Louder, and Ms. Pat Devlin and Ms. Kim Panzer from Fiscal Services to discuss the budget. In a nutshell, it is a bleak budget picture for the remainder of FY08, all of FY09, and most likely FY10, as well. The Fire Chief continues to support a 4th riding position for Truck companies, a second shift Safety Officer, and staffed Technician positions for the Tanker at FS42 (deferred, but scheduled for construction in FY10). A $3 million shortfall existed for Fire & Rescue in Fall 2007, and it is projected to reach $8.5 million by the end of FY08. The County Executive is asking the Fire Chief for ways to trim the budget without reducing services. The Fire Chief has thus reached out to the employee groups for input. http://www.fxcofireofficers.com/
    A past practice is to delay the start of new positions until the end of a budget year, in April or May. That provides a buffer for the county as it goes through the mid-year (January) and third quarter (March) budget reviews.
    Last edited by MikeWard; 02-14-2008 at 08:32 PM.

Good thing's happening

Well Im Starting my journey for Fairfax and iam just about to take the written on the 19th and I was taken a bit surprised by it since I just submitted my application a day under 2 weeks without hearing anything. I have read this whole thing from start to finish and it seems to have A LOT of great information one thing I think i cannot find is the time table from written exam to cpat and If I pass to move on to the next stage ? And with that said What is the time line IF ANY is with the academy start dates because I have thought about finding a Paramedic school starting it and then thought about well hey what happens if I get a call and im still in paramedic school what happens then ?

Rob

MembersZone Subscriber

When I completed the entrance exam back in Oct. '06, the cpat was scheduled for mid March '07. Where I work, there is a female who completed the process as an emt, then began medic school. My understanding is that women, minorities, and emt-P/I are preferred. She received several invitations for the academy, but deferred pending completion of medic class. Once selected, I don't know if they let anyone postpone, or if it is a case by case basis. When I received the letter advising successful completion of the selection process, it advised that the completion status was valid for two years. I don't know if this will apply if you attempt to postpone the job offer. In my case, I was unable to begin in Jan '08, but I will be starting Apr. 28. My advice would to be to call recruiting, run your scenario by them, and see what they say. I wish you the best of luck, but realize that anything could happen during the selection process. If you complete the medic program, you can always reapply to fairfax, or any other dept. for that matter. You will be preferred as an als provider, and this will increase your chances in the future, should this process prove unsuccessful. As far as the cpat, emphasize leg, torso, and grip training. If you cannot access a stepmill, try this quick fix: Grab a pair of dumbbells/kettlebells, do 16-20 steps of walking lunges, immediately do 10 reps of front squats, then do box jumps with a 24" box until failure. Repeat as necessary. Good luck!

MembersZone Subscriber

My mistake, the cpat was in Jan '07, about three months after the written. Plenty of time to train. If you need training advice, just ask, I can talk about training ad nauseum.

Forum Member

Default Just checking in

Hi All ,
    It's good to see action in here again!! My progress is that I am still hoping for a call soon. If you need help eaglesrule, feel free to email me and I will do what I can to help you. The written test is not bad at all and you should do fine. Good luck and let me know if I can help.

edpmedic. I was just wondering how you were notified you got the job? telephone call, letter, etc? Also if the academy joins up with the others in Aug., does that mean the ALS pre class is 3 months long? Anything you know is helpful and I appreciate it! Hopefully you have found a place to live and it's going smooth for you.

Thanks Again!
    My will shall shape the future. Whether I fail or succeed shall be no man's doing but my own. I am the force; I can clear any obstacle before me or I can be lost in the maze. My choice; my responsibility; win or lose, only I hold the key to my destiny.

Forum Member

Hi All ,
    It's good to see action in here again!! My progress is that I am still hoping for a call soon. If you need help eaglesrule, feel free to email me and I will do what I can to help you. The written test is not bad at all and you should do fine. Good luck and let me know if I can help.

edpmedic. I was just wondering how you were notified you got the job? telephone call, letter, etc? Also if the academy joins up with the others in Aug., does that mean the ALS pre class is 3 months long? Anything you know is helpful and I appreciate it! Hopefully you have found a place to live and it's going smooth for you.

Thanks Again!
    1. A recruit class of 40 started last week. The next class will be 40 recruits starting in the fall. There will only be two recruit classes this year.

2. If you are offered the job they call you.

3. The first month of the academy is EMS. You either get four weeks of EMT or four weeks of ALS/Medic. You have to be a Medic already to go through the ALS/Medic class. During the four weeks all the Medics go to a difference class. After the four weeks suppression starts and everyone is back in the same room.

With the next class starting in the fall you will hear something late summer if you got in.
    Eh?

Thread Information