Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 63 FirstFirst ... 291011121314152262 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: fairfax county

jl
    Forum Member

Default Out of staters??

For those following this thread that are w/Fairfax County--how many out-of-staters do you tend to hire, if any?? Realistically, testing from out of state can be expensive and time-consuming, so those that are not locals, do they really stand a chance??

Quote Originally Posted by jl View Post
    so those that are not locals, do they really stand a chance??
    Sure... even more chance if you are a Paramedic.
    Member IACOJ - Building crust and full of lust...

"It's okay to to scared, just don't be chicken." - Clark

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Kobersteen View Post
    Sure... even more chance if you are a Paramedic.
    Kobersteen I like to thank you like most of the guys and girls that are trying to get on to your department. I just have this question. Here's my predicament. I am an asian vollie for about 4 years with ff1/2 and per diem emt-b and other pro-board certs. I was in my junior year of college before I decided to put that on hiatus since I keep hearing that fairfax wants medics, so I opted to get enrolled into the paramedic program here in Jersey. I started out in August, and I won't end the program until nov/dec 2008. I've already passed the written/physical way back in August, but I told recruitment I was unavailable to continue with the testing process until Dec because of medic school. So in 3 weeks they have me scheduled with all poly, psyche, and medical.

Will recruitment put me on a waitlist for a possible recruit candidate pending I get my medic cert, or will they actually look at me as possible candidate once I finish the hiring process?

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by jklm128 View Post
    Kobersteen I like to thank you like most of the guys and girls that are trying to get on to your department.
    Not a problem. I know how frustrating applications processes can be.

Will recruitment put me on a waitlist for a possible recruit candidate pending I get my medic cert, or will they actually look at me as possible candidate once I finish the hiring process?
    It is very possible. I will drop you a PM with more info.

Good luck!

Forum Member

Kobersteen-

After speaking to a few fire fighters here in fairfax county, I have gotten the impression that there is a good chance that I won't get hired the first time around. I dont have any certifications, and I have no experience, do I really stand a chance to get hired since this is my first time applying? I just passed my CPAT two weeks ago.

Quote Originally Posted by rob1984 View Post
    Kobersteen-

After speaking to a few fire fighters here in fairfax county, I have gotten the impression that there is a good chance that I won't get hired the first time around. I dont have any certifications, and I have no experience, do I really stand a chance to get hired since this is my first time applying? I just passed my CPAT two weeks ago.
    The only certification and experiance that will help with Fairfax is to be a Paramedic. Otherwise you are just as qualified, or not, as anyone else that tests. Do well on the written(multiple guess), then pass the CPAT and if you are a healthy moral person you can get on the job.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DennisTheMenace View Post
    The only certification and experiance that will help with Fairfax is to be a Paramedic. Otherwise you are just as qualified, or not, as anyone else that tests. Do well on the written(multiple guess), then pass the CPAT and if you are a healthy moral person you can get on the job.

That is a sigh of relief, thanks Dennis. I have passed the written, and CPAT, so I guess im doing pretty good so far.

Kobersteen-

I don't know who you spoke with but in the classes this past year the recruit classes had on average of 7-10 "white" recruits with ZERO firefighter or EMS experience.

So, there ya go. A lot of people in the field like to complain. Unless you speak with someone who is actually staffed at the academy, I wouldn't give much merit to the information.

Quote Originally Posted by jl View Post
    For those following this thread that are w/Fairfax County--how many out-of-staters do you tend to hire, if any?? Realistically, testing from out of state can be expensive and time-consuming, so those that are not locals, do they really stand a chance??
    Fairfax doesn't care where you're coming from. They could care less if you're traveling from California or Washington DC.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by localva View Post
    I don't know who you spoke with but in the classes this past year the recruit classes had on average of 7-10 "white" recruits with ZERO firefighter or EMS experience.

So, there ya go. A lot of people in the field like to complain. Unless you speak with someone who is actually staffed at the academy, I wouldn't give much merit to the information.
    Thanks for the info! The firefighters I spoke with didnt say I had little chance, but most of them said that they didn't get hired the first time around. I was just guessing my chances were slim because of how many applicants are in the process each year.

Thanks for the info! The firefighters I spoke with didnt say I had little chance, but most of them said that they didn't get hired the first time around. I was just guessing my chances were slim because of how many applicants are in the process each year.
    Well, everyone's chances are slim. I don't know the exact number but on average Fairfax gets about 2500 to 3000 applications a year. So, in 2008 there's going to be two classes of 30 recruits. That's 60 people out of 3000, it is very slim. The only two concrete things that will up your chances:

1. Be an ALS provider.
    2. Have a relative in the department (helps more than you think).

Things that will "help" you a little:

1. Be good friends with the group that selects recruits.
    2. Be a female ALS provider who can pass the CPAT.

My advice is to keep your head up and focus on staying in shape, and anytime you get a chance to communicate with the recruitment department...do it!

Quote Originally Posted by localva View Post
    Well, everyone's chances are slim. I don't know the exact number but on average Fairfax gets about 2500 to 3000 applications a year. So, in 2008 there's going to be two classes of 30 recruits. That's 60 people out of 3000, it is very slim. The only two concrete things that will up your chances:

1. Be an ALS provider.
    2. Have a relative in the department (helps more than you think).

Things that will "help" you a little:

1. Be good friends with the group that selects recruits.
    2. Be a female ALS provider who can pass the CPAT.

My advice is to keep your head up and focus on staying in shape, and anytime you get a chance to communicate with the recruitment department...do it!
    Don't forget the fifth grade education to get a decent score on the multiple guess test.
    I have to say that I am amazed at the number of folks that fail CPAT when they are given three months from the written, and atleast a month after the results are posted, to get in shape and prepare. It is one thing if you fall from the stairs as it is not a movement that you do everyday with 70lbs or so on your back, but to get through that and still not finish in time or collapse before the end shows we have too many fat bodies with not enough heart out there in the world who want to be firefighters for some reason.
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

Default cpat Question

Mr. Kobersteen, I recently completed and passed the written exam portion of the hiring process. While watching the video for the cpats, i noticed a portion that stated that if you are not going to attend the cpat practice sessions, you must waive your rights to the session. Is there are form that needs to be filled out before I take the cpat?

Forum Member

Sorry if this has been addressed already, its been awhile since I sat down and read through this entire thread.

But I was just wondering how the written score will influence my chances at being hired down the line. I know you needed a 74% to advance to the CPAT, but I scored fairly high, and I'm hoping that it will make me stand out more than a candidate who scored lower on the written exam.

Forum Member

Cool

I missed one (1) question and it didn't seem to help me all that much.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by mpullen32 View Post
    ... While watching the video for the cpats, i noticed a portion that stated that if you are not going to attend the cpat practice sessions, you must waive your rights to the session. Is there are form that needs to be filled out before I take the cpat?
    That would be a question for recruitment, but, as I have said here before, I think it is a big mistake not to take advantage of the practice sessions. There is nothing that will ease your mind more than to have your techniques down and have 'been there, done that' on the actual testing ground prior to test day.

Is it essential to attend the practices? No. Do I think it is a damn good idea to attend at least one? Absolutely, yes.

Forum Member

I will not be able to attend the practice sessions due to college and living five hours away. Thanks for the reply though, I will give recruitment a call tomorrow.

Mr. Kobersteen, I recently completed and passed the written exam portion of the hiring process. While watching the video for the cpats, i noticed a portion that stated that if you are not going to attend the cpat practice sessions, you must waive your rights to the session. Is there are form that needs to be filled out before I take the cpat?
    Fairfax County Fire and Rescue is REQUIRED to offer practice and preparation assistance to anyone who is taking the CPAT. This also goes for Arlington and I believe Alexandria. You are not required to attend, but a good many do. Last time I saw a group in the evening there were about 20 people. When they say you are "waiving your right" it means you acknowledge practice CPAT are offered to you and you are personally turning the offer down.

EDIT: Also, Korb is right. If you have never done the CPAT it would very helpful to see it live. And, the more you practice it the less are you nervous.
    Last edited by localva; 12-18-2007 at 12:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DennisTheMenace View Post
    Don't forget the fifth grade education to get a decent score on the multiple guess test.
    I have to say that I am amazed at the number of folks that fail CPAT when they are given three months from the written, and atleast a month after the results are posted, to get in shape and prepare. It is one thing if you fall from the stairs as it is not a movement that you do everyday with 70lbs or so on your back, but to get through that and still not finish in time or collapse before the end shows we have too many fat bodies with not enough heart out there in the world who want to be firefighters for some reason.
    The number one item that fails people on the CPAT are the stairs. If you don't hit the gym and use the stair climber you are just about 95% screwed. It is MUCH HARDER than people think. Hit the gym and use the stair climber for a good 5:00 minutes. If you can do it without stopping then you're good to go for the CPAT. I prepared for my CPAT by getting a 45lb vest and doing the stair climber for 3 minutes, then moving to two leg workout machines, then back to the stair climber for 3 minutes. The reason is you need to train your legs to move well enough after the stairs. You will get jello legs if you're not prepared.

I will not be able to attend the practice sessions due to college and living five hours away. Thanks for the reply though, I will give recruitment a call tomorrow.
    Check with the local fire department, if they do the CPAT there is a VERY good chance that they will let you practice with them.
    -Big Russ

Thread Information