Like Tree3Likes

Thread: fairfax county

  1. #276
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    558

    Default

    jdmedic, I was notified by phone. I am told that my packet will arrive by mail in the next 1-2 weeks. Other than my start date, I don't know much else. localva probably knows much more than I do, at this point. I have several offers to assist in my housing search. I will be looking either the last week of March, or the first week in April. I was disqualified for the magnet program due to salary. Let us know when you get the call, and if you need any help moving.

  2. #277
    Rabble rouser
    Kobersteen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Fairfax County (VA) Fire & Rescue Dept.
    Posts
    531

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by localva View Post
    3. The first month of the academy is EMS. You either get four weeks of EMT or four weeks of ALS/Medic. You have to be a Medic already to go through the ALS/Medic class. During the four weeks all the Medics go to a difference class. After the four weeks suppression starts and everyone is back in the same room.
    Actually, the newest concept is to start the ALS rookies about 4 months (?) before their non-ALS classmates. The ALS rookies go through ACLS, BTLS, PALS recerts and then go through their internship. They fully join their non-ALS classmates just before suppression school starts. After they get out of rookie school, they are then the probationary firefighter and the engine medic.

    I am very anxious to see how it works... I see some glaring holes in the logic.
    Member IACOJ - Building crust and full of lust...

    "It's okay to to scared, just don't be chicken." - Clark

  3. #278
    Forum Member
    localva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    62

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kobersteen View Post
    Actually, the newest concept is to start the ALS rookies about 4 months (?) before their non-ALS classmates. The ALS rookies go through ACLS, BTLS, PALS recerts and then go through their internship. They fully join their non-ALS classmates just before suppression school starts. After they get out of rookie school, they are then the probationary firefighter and the engine medic.

    I am very anxious to see how it works... I see some glaring holes in the logic.
    I stand corrected. I forgot about the new ALS process at the academy. I agree with Korbesteen, there are issues with the new process. A probie should not be allowed to fill the left bucket of an Engine right out of rookie school.
    Eh?

  4. #279
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    NJ/VA
    Posts
    101

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eaglesrule1024 View Post
    Well Im Starting my journey for Fairfax and iam just about to take the written on the 19th and I was taken a bit surprised by it since I just submitted my application a day under 2 weeks without hearing anything. I have read this whole thing from start to finish and it seems to have A LOT of great information one thing I think i cannot find is the time table from written exam to cpat and If I pass to move on to the next stage ? And with that said What is the time line IF ANY is with the academy start dates because I have thought about finding a Paramedic school starting it and then thought about well hey what happens if I get a call and im still in paramedic school what happens then ?

    Rob
    Hey Eaglesrule, I was on a similar path that you are about to do. I was about finished with my cardiac semester and would be taking the NREMTP's this summer but I got called down before. The problem is that you would have to give up on your courses at that time if you do accept appointment, but if the program is an associates degree, you can transfer those over to the nova community colleges here. You would still have to retake the core medic courses again I think, but if you go through the fairfax fire emt-I course there is a bridge course from I to P. But thats after recruit school. You can defer your appointment and wait after you get your paramedic license too. Hope that helps. Before you do get your medic though, get a good foundation with EMT first. (2years exp preferably)

  5. #280
    Forum Member
    jdmedic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    21

    Default How Soon

    I reposted this question on another page! Thanks
    Last edited by jdmedic; 03-14-2008 at 07:10 PM. Reason: reposting same question
    My will shall shape the future. Whether I fail or succeed shall be no man's doing but my own. I am the force; I can clear any obstacle before me or I can be lost in the maze. My choice; my responsibility; win or lose, only I hold the key to my destiny.

  6. #281
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Levittown, PA
    Posts
    150

    Default

    Goodluck to everyone taking the CPATS this saturday. I will be there around 11.

  7. #282
    Forum Member
    DennisTheMenace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Washington, DC/Northern Virginia
    Posts
    3,717

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mpullen32 View Post
    Goodluck to everyone taking the CPATS this saturday. I will be there around 11.
    Remember, enough heart will get you through it, even if your cardiac conditioning can't! Get through the stairclimb, then just DON't give up! It is not easy, but it is not hard to finish in time either.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

    Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

    Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

  8. #283
    Forum Member
    jdmedic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    21

    Default Reposting

    I just wondered if anyone has an idea of how soon before you needed to be there (April 28th) they would let you know you had the job so you had time to find a place to live? (As of today there are 45 days till April 28th.)

    Didn't see a reply last and just curious and thanks again...
    My will shall shape the future. Whether I fail or succeed shall be no man's doing but my own. I am the force; I can clear any obstacle before me or I can be lost in the maze. My choice; my responsibility; win or lose, only I hold the key to my destiny.

  9. #284
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    98

    Default

    when i got on they gave me about 5 weeks

  10. #285
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    98

    Default

    also, i would HIGHLY reccomend using craigslist.org to find an apt in the dc area, i was very successful in using it

  11. #286
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    558

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jdmedic View Post
    I just wondered if anyone has an idea of how soon before you needed to be there (April 28th) they would let you know you had the job so you had time to find a place to live? (As of today there are 45 days till April 28th.)

    Didn't see a reply last and just curious and thanks again...
    When I received the offer for early January, I was given about 2-3 weeks notice. I had to decline. I later called recruitment, and was lucky to receive the offer for April. If you have completed the process, try calling recruitment to "check your status". A reliable source told me that the squeaky wheel gets the grease. If you show them that you are hungry, the may just give you the nod. If housing is an issue, you could get a gym membership for the shower, buy canned soup, and sleep in your car(kidding). Perhaps you could find a room for rent on a month to month basis, and put your furniture into storage, until a better housing opportunity comes up, if there are no other options.

  12. #287
    Forum Member
    localva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    62

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by edpmedic View Post
    When I received the offer for early January, I was given about 2-3 weeks notice. I had to decline. I later called recruitment, and was lucky to receive the offer for April. If you have completed the process, try calling recruitment to "check your status". A reliable source told me that the squeaky wheel gets the grease. If you show them that you are hungry, the may just give you the nod. If housing is an issue, you could get a gym membership for the shower, buy canned soup, and sleep in your car(kidding). Perhaps you could find a room for rent on a month to month basis, and put your furniture into storage, until a better housing opportunity comes up, if there are no other options.
    Hee, that's 100% correct Fairfax indeed gives "grease" to the "squeaky wheel". That's how I got in. There was an issue with my application so I had to give the recruitment office additional paperwork on several occasions. But, instead of mailing or faxing the paperwork I went in person. After the second time I had a friendly relationship with the head of recruitment, to the point were we were talking about house renovations for 30 minutes. I was told to my face the fact I came to the office to drop off the paperwork (more than once) was impressive and showed my aggressiveness for the job.

    Three weeks later I got the call for the position.
    Eh?

  13. #288
    Forum Member
    jdmedic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    21

    Default Hi All,

    Thanks for all the info guys. I call about every 2-3 weeks and talk to A.D. about my file and see if it needs anything. (Not really sure if I should be calling the Capt. or Lt.) I try to be the squeaky wheel without being annoying, and she is really nice about it. Edpmedic, I would live in my car for a career at FFax and I am really hungry, but I looked on Cl and found several nice places to cook soup that are open now if I do get a call. lol (Thanks Buckeye).
    I appreciate you guys telling me your experiences, being from out of state I just wondered how long you had after you got the call. Thanks again for contributing to the board.
    My will shall shape the future. Whether I fail or succeed shall be no man's doing but my own. I am the force; I can clear any obstacle before me or I can be lost in the maze. My choice; my responsibility; win or lose, only I hold the key to my destiny.

  14. #289
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    558

    Default

    jdmedic, one more point of advice. In addition to an odd hour drive by of your potential residence, check any available blogs in reference to the development/apartment. My wife has found some potential spots, then read numerous horrendous reviews on the blogs. My wife also made up a checklist of what to ask the rep when you view the residence. Certain items such as repair policies, pest control, parking, noise pollution, outside lighting, soundproof walls, escape clause for the lease, etc. should be mentioned, and put into writing, if possible. When you move in, you want a landlord who is a johnny on the spot, not a slum lord.

  15. #290
    Good thing's happening

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    NYC to NC to NY
    Posts
    486

    Default

    Hey so it's almost time to take the test on the 19th @ 1pm and all that's on my mind is what's on the test. And if there are going to be mechanical questions that deal with gears and at what speed should this be moving at ? and belts that remind me of cars same thing as the gears with speed (definitely not a car guy..if you haven't noticed) because this is something I definitely have no idea about. Oh and anything else I should be aware about ?

    rob

  16. #291
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    558

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eaglesrule1024 View Post
    Hey so it's almost time to take the test on the 19th @ 1pm and all that's on my mind is what's on the test. And if there are going to be mechanical questions that deal with gears and at what speed should this be moving at ? and belts that remind me of cars same thing as the gears with speed (definitely not a car guy..if you haven't noticed) because this is something I definitely have no idea about. Oh and anything else I should be aware about ?

    rob
    None of that as far as I can remember. Are you referring to the entrance exam, or the psych? The entrance was reading comprehension, some math, I think, basic ninth grade stuff. As for the psych, make sure you love your parents, don't hear voices, and present as extroverted as opposed to introverted. Good luck!

  17. #292
    Forum Member
    jdmedic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    21

    Default Entrance Test

    edpmedic- thanks for the advice, you can email me at jdmedic at gmail if you want. I hope to get an offer, has been on my mind all the time lately because of something I was told.


    eagles rule- I have taken several F.D. entrance exams and most of them are straightforward with some math ( I detest math, and still scored a 96%.) Some logic and reading comprehension was a big part of what I remember.

    examples (These are like the test but I can't recall the exact questions):

    Three guys were seen leaving the scene of a fire. A male wearing a red shirt a male wearing a blue shirt and a female wearing a green shirt. The one in the green shirt had burns on her hands. The one in the red shirt was carrying a gas can.etc. etc. etc.

    Then there are multiple guess questions like:

    Who was wearing the green shirt?
    a. Frank b. Dave c.Shannon d. No one

    The person carrying the Gas can had on:
    a. blue pants b. red shirt c. green hat d.purple horseshoes

    The math is a mixed bag.
    Like:
    The square root of xyz is ?
    a. xx b. xxx c. xxx d. xxx

    A 2400 sq ft building loses 600sq ft in a fire, the total percentage lost is:
    a.10 b. 20 c. 25 d.30

    3 fire trucks are headed to a structure. Truck A is 7 miles from the fire, truck B is 2.5 miles from the fire and truck C is 5.5 miles to the fire.Truck A is traveling 15 mph faster than truck B, and truck B is going 5 mph faster than truck C. Truck C is traveling 40mph. How many minutes will it take truck A to arrive?

    a.xx b.xx c.xx d.xx

    truck C arrives how many minutes before truck A.
    a.xx b.xx c. xx d. xxx

    These are just a few examples of the types of questions you will find on the test. (Almost identical to Denver test and close to FFax)Most of them are fairly simple and straight forward. You can also buy the study guide, but I'm not sure if it really helps or not? If you need more info, feel free to email me.
    My will shall shape the future. Whether I fail or succeed shall be no man's doing but my own. I am the force; I can clear any obstacle before me or I can be lost in the maze. My choice; my responsibility; win or lose, only I hold the key to my destiny.

  18. #293
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    19

    Cool Paramedic lookin for answers!!!

    Just looking for anyone out there who may have any info on the approx. number of medics who they usually take for the ALS pilot program. I just finished all my testing up in early February. I know that some people have already received a phone call for this. It has taken me since last May to get this done due to some my medical certification, but that is all good now. try and post something, this is got me goin crazy!!

  19. #294
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    19

    Default Paramedic lookin for answers!!!

    I just finished up all my testing in february and was wondering if anybody had any info on how many paramedics have been called for the ALS pilot program that starts in April. I know it is getting close and I just wanted to know also if they make all the medics go through this prior to the academy now or if they may wait until after the fall academy to put you through this. This wait is the hardest part and i have kept in touch with recruiting and i cant seem to get to much info from them. Help if you can thanks! its been a long road so far I started the testing in may of 07.
    Last edited by MBMEDIC03; 03-22-2008 at 08:45 PM.

  20. #295
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    46

    Default

    Well, passed the CPAT this past Saturday. I was surprised to see so many people fail. I didn't train for it as much as I wanted, and I definitely didn't get the fastest time of the day, but there was no way I was going to fail that test!

    If I pass the medical, polygraph, and psych tests before the end of summer, would I technically be eligible to be selected for the fall recruit class?

  21. #296
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    74

    Default

    Congratulations on passing your CPAT... I was there also and thought it was gonna be harder than i thought. I've never taken the CPAT before but I knew what I was in for.

    Quote Originally Posted by wre722 View Post
    If I pass the medical, polygraph, and psych tests before the end of summer, would I technically be eligible to be selected for the fall recruit class?
    What other steps are there to the hiring process aside from medical, psych eval, and polygraph(sweating bullets about this one)? There's got to be some kind of interview right?
    Last edited by FirefighterPEP; 03-18-2008 at 08:53 PM.
    The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.

  22. #297
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    558

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FirefighterPEP View Post
    Congratulations on passing your CPAT... I was there also and thought it was gonna be harder than i thought. I've never taken the CPAT before but I knew what I was in for.



    What other steps are there to the hiring process aside from medical, psych eval, and polygraph(sweating bullets about this one)? There's got to be some kind of interview right?
    No oral boards to speak of, in my experience. I guess that the post test psych interview with the psychiatrist/psychologist(can't remember), and the polygraph can be considered interviews. I guess that since you will go through a full academy, suppresion/medical knowledge is not crucial at the pre-hire stage, as you will be trained thoroughly in recruit school.

  23. #298
    Forum Member
    jdmedic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    21

    Default Nothing Yet

    Quote Originally Posted by MBMEDIC03 View Post
    I just finished up all my testing in february and was wondering if anybody had any info on how many paramedics have been called for the ALS pilot program that starts in April. I know it is getting close and I just wanted to know also if they make all the medics go through this prior to the academy now or if they may wait until after the fall academy to put you through this. This wait is the hardest part and i have kept in touch with recruiting and i cant seem to get to much info from them. Help if you can thanks! its been a long road so far I started the testing in may of 07.
    MBMEDIC03,
    I finished up the same time as you and have not heard anything yet. Hopefully someone here has heard something. Good luck, I hope to see you and edpmedic around april.
    My will shall shape the future. Whether I fail or succeed shall be no man's doing but my own. I am the force; I can clear any obstacle before me or I can be lost in the maze. My choice; my responsibility; win or lose, only I hold the key to my destiny.

  24. #299
    Forum Member
    localva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    62

    Default

    After your CPAT you are scheduled for a psych test/interview, full medical examination, and then a lie detector session. All of those areas send their paperwork to the main office and that's it. You don't do anything else. The cut off before each recruit class is about three months. You can usually find out the date they actually select the recruits. If you're testing this summer you should be on the list for the fall.

    As an FYI, the lie detector session is the main one that can make or break you. It's done by a police detective in an empty room and it takes a couple hours. My advice, DO NOT LIE regardless of what you did. If you're caught lying you're gone, they don't care what you did. Trust is a requirement for this job, if you lie go find another career.

    Just remember that Fairfax gets on average 2000-2500 applications a year.
    Eh?

  25. #300
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    46

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by localva View Post

    As an FYI, the lie detector session is the main one that can make or break you. It's done by a police detective in an empty room and it takes a couple hours. My advice, DO NOT LIE regardless of what you did. If you're caught lying you're gone, they don't care what you did. Trust is a requirement for this job, if you lie go find another career.
    localva, what kind of questions do they ask you over the couple hours? Is it just on the information presented in the personal history packet, or do they expand on that? I don't have any skeletons hanging in my closet or anything, I am just nervous about being too...nervous to pass. It will be my first polygraph and its one I'd rather not screw up.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Polk County Takes a Place in History
    By captstanm1 in forum Florida
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-07-2005, 11:31 PM
  2. World Of Fire Report: 12-27-04
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-05-2005, 11:33 PM
  3. Collier County Fla--Union and County Face off over Privatization
    By captstanm1 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-10-2003, 11:50 AM
  4. Live Oak Fire Fighters may get BIG Raise
    By captstanm1 in forum Florida
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-05-2003, 06:50 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-14-2002, 10:57 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register