Like Tree3Likes

Thread: fairfax county

MembersZone Subscriber

Smile Living in Fairfax....

Quote Originally Posted by formerbuckeye View Post
    Congratulations on getting hired! But being this is a message forum, i'll throw my $.02 in.Obviously, make your own decisions, but I wouldnt live in prince william if are working in fairfax, you arent going to pay that much more to live closer in (either in the county or in Arlington or Alexandria). I dated a girl who lived near sudley and rt 234 (downtown manassas) and it took me well over an hr consistently to get to her house during the evening when she got home from work.

There are a ton of great apartments within a five minute rush hour drive of the academy, which also puts you in the center of the county as far as stations go. When I lived there I could be at any station in the county in under half an hour in the morning.

I dont know how old you guys are, but if you plan on experiencing the DC Metro night life/resturaunts etc, prince william would be wildly inconvenient. One of the main reasons I moved inside the beltway was that I found that every time i went out to do something, I was headed to arlington/dc/tysons.

Plus it has been my experience down here that traffic inside the beltway is significantly better than it is outside.

Give me a PM if you have any ?'s about living in the area.
    Hello,

Thank you for the info. I just don't know where to start and I was anitially looking in PW county due to the lower prices. I am a 31 year old male and married with one child. Schools are very important to us as well as safety. Alexandria seems to be quite far from the academy. We will be in the area April 2nd, 3rd and 4th to search for a home/apartment rental. Our budget is $1200 and need at least a 2br apartment and would like to have a porch/yard...some outdoor living. We might have to contact a realtor also. The apartment complexes that have good ratings are way over our budget. Any input you could supply would be helpful.

Good thing's happening

Quote Originally Posted by edpmedic View Post
    Hello,

Thank you for the info. I just don't know where to start and I was anitially looking in PW county due to the lower prices. I am a 31 year old male and married with one child. Schools are very important to us as well as safety. Alexandria seems to be quite far from the academy. We will be in the area April 2nd, 3rd and 4th to search for a home/apartment rental. Our budget is $1200 and need at least a 2br apartment and would like to have a porch/yard...some outdoor living. We might have to contact a realtor also. The apartment complexes that have good ratings are way over our budget. Any input you could supply would be helpful.
    Just some help on this...like a few have said try craigslist and also try backpage.com and select Washington DC and search from there.

Rob

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for the response. I'll try backpage.com. We've been using craigslist for some time now. We've noticed that a fair number of houses for rent are from people who are trying to avoid foreclosure by renting, but intend to sell in the near future. When I search in a few days, I'll be able to assess the surrounding area, for safety. Also, traffic doesn't scare me, living in Queens, NY for most of my life.

Rabble rouser

Exclamation

...Alexandria seems to be quite far from the academy.
    Just as a note to those in similar circumstances, Alexandria is definitely not too far from the academy and a good place to get used to the County. Of course, the Alexandria mailing address goes from about Springfield all the way to the Potomac, as far south as the Mount Vernon area and as far north as Baileys Crossroads. Alexandria can be as close as 20 minutes or as far as an hour from the academy.

It is all a balance of what you want to spend and what you can tolerate to drive.
    Member IACOJ - Building crust and full of lust...

"It's okay to to scared, just don't be chicken." - Clark

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by eaglesrule1024 View Post
    Awesome that sounds great!!! Do well and make us here proud. Not to be nosy or anything but what was wrong with your file that you weren't considered in the when they looked at your file initially so maybe others here won't run into the same problem later.

rob
    eaglesrule,
    without being too specific, make sure your credit has nothing in it from a long time ago (8 yrs. on mine) or anything that doesn't look good. I was honest about it in the poly so I think that helped me. Feel free to email me if you want.

to everyone else posting about places to live, thanks a lot. I am working on it right now and will be there in early April.
    My will shall shape the future. Whether I fail or succeed shall be no man's doing but my own. I am the force; I can clear any obstacle before me or I can be lost in the maze. My choice; my responsibility; win or lose, only I hold the key to my destiny.

MembersZone Subscriber

jdmedic, I sent you an e-mail through the site. If you don't receive it, and you feel comfortable posting it here, I'll contact you. I'll be in town early April, myself. In any event, I'll see you in four weeks. I'm happy to be eating my words. Congrats!

Forum Member

Hello,

If schools are the most important issue to you, you are coming to the right area, but will need to adjust your budget up a little. You can swing it for $1200, IF you are willing to be a little cramped with the kid. You are about five years to late to do it comfortablely for $1,200 a month. Add $2-300 and you will be much better off. The school triangles in Fairfax county to try to stay in will be Langley(very very tough on your budget), McLean(there are a few possibilities), Oaxton, Madison, Woodson, Robinson and Lake Braddock. If you can get into Arlington on your budget try for the Washington and Lee or Yorktown school boundries. Any of the Falls Church City schools are great, but beware that a Falls Church address in Fairfax Co could be the opposite(but not a given).
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kobersteen View Post
    Just as a note to those in similar circumstances, Alexandria is definitely not too far from the academy and a good place to get used to the County. Of course, the Alexandria mailing address goes from about Springfield all the way to the Potomac, as far south as the Mount Vernon area and as far north as Baileys Crossroads. Alexandria can be as close as 20 minutes or as far as an hour from the academy.

It is all a balance of what you want to spend and what you can tolerate to drive.
    What he said, although there are a few neighborhoods in that area that are less than desireable, generally you are in a good location with good schools, a drive through the neighborhood will make things pretty obvious.
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

MembersZone Subscriber

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by DennisTheMenace View Post
    If schools are the most important issue to you, you are coming to the right area, but will need to adjust your budget up a little. You can swing it for $1200, IF you are willing to be a little cramped with the kid. You are about five years to late to do it comfortablely for $1,200 a month. Add $2-300 and you will be much better off. The school triangles in Fairfax county to try to stay in will be Langley(very very tough on your budget), McLean(there are a few possibilities), Oaxton, Madison, Woodson, Robinson and Lake Braddock. If you can get into Arlington on your budget try for the Washington and Lee or Yorktown school boundries. Any of the Falls Church City schools are great, but beware that a Falls Church address in Fairfax Co could be the opposite(but not a given).
    Thank you for your insight...but you have me more confused than ever. Being that I am not from the area I only understand towns and not subdivisions in which...we only have 3 days to land a rental. Do you suggest we go through a realtor? I think Arlington may be way over priced for most people. We do feel that good schools are important but not that we need to pay $2000 plus for a small rental..YIKES

Forum Member

Message Deleted.
    Last edited by CMCM49; 12-14-2008 at 06:24 PM.

Forum Member

Default New Guy Here

Hello Everyone,

I am in Fairfax County's process and just got word that I've passed the polygraph. I've been a visitor (stalker) of these forums for about a year now and only now decided to sign up and post. About time, right?

Anyway, my question (you knew it was coming) is for Kobersteen or anyone else in the department with a little knowledge. I understand it's completely subjective, but:

Can meritorious military service outweigh stupidity in one's youth?

I was found guilty of Petit Larceny and Possession of Marijuana in 2001, when I was 19. Shortly thereafter, as a result of September 11, I joined the Marine Corps and had a very good tour, taking Marine of the Year (for my command) in 2005 and receiving a Navy and Marine Corps Acheivement medal for going above and beyond in 2006. I'm not trying to brag, I'm simply trying to determine if this will be enough to cause the guys (and gals) upstairs to overlook my youthful indescretions. I, like everyone else here probably, really want to become a firefighter. I'm just terrified that I've already made it impossible for myself.

I know I'm a good guy, too. I just did some really dumb *****. What can I do, going forward, to prove to the department that I'm worth hiring?

Thanks in advance everyone. This forum is pretty damn cool. I almost never post on forums, so this is saying something about this one....

Rabble rouser

Quote Originally Posted by CMCM49 View Post
    So Fairfax called, and I schedule the poly/medical for early may.
    Question:
    I'm a medic, and they were trying to describe to me something about how the medics have a pre-hire training? An internship or something like that? Anyways, I've asked twice and gotten two completely different and equally confusing descriptions of this process. The medics start early, and then go to fire academy? Or what.... Anyone care to simplify for me? Im pretty confused.
    Check back to post #277 on this thread for a brief explanation.

If you are still confused, let me know and I'll try to simplify it. It is a brand new concept, so all the bugs have not been worked out yet.

Forum Member

Message Deleted.
    Last edited by CMCM49; 12-14-2008 at 06:24 PM.

Forum Member

Default New Guy Here

Hello Everyone,

I am in Fairfax County's process and just got word that I've passed the polygraph. I've been a visitor (stalker) of these forums for about a year now and only now decided to sign up and post. About time, right?

Anyway, my question (you knew it was coming) is for Kobersteen or anyone else in the department with a little knowledge. I understand it's completely subjective, but:

Can meritorious military service outweigh stupidity in one's youth?

I was found guilty of Petit Larceny and Possession of Marijuana in 2001, when I was 19. Shortly thereafter, as a result of September 11, I joined the Marine Corps and had a very good tour, taking Marine of the Year (for my command) in 2005 and receiving a Navy and Marine Corps Acheivement medal for going above and beyond in 2006. I'm not trying to brag, I'm simply trying to determine if this will be enough to cause the guys (and gals) upstairs to overlook my youthful indescretions. I, like everyone else here probably, really want to become a firefighter. I'm just terrified that I've already made it impossible for myself.

I know I'm a good guy, too. I just did some really dumb (crap). What can I do, going forward, to prove to the department that I'm worth hiring?

Thanks in advance everyone. This forum is pretty freakin cool. I almost never post on forums, so that's saying something about this one....

Rabble rouser

Quote Originally Posted by CMCM49 View Post
    The Medical: What are the disqualifying factors regarding eyesight, hearing, PFT, and past medical history?
    Hmmm... I really don't know. I know that my uncorrected eyesight is in the toilet, but I wear contacts so all is well.

Also..I know NREMT-P helps, which is something I have. Does CCEMT-P help? Or a B.S? If not for hiring, then for promotions?
    CC is nice, but other than helping you in care, it really won't help or hurt you in the hiring process. By the time you get around to promotion, things will be vastly different.

Forum Member

Default Test

What am I doing wrong that my posts aren't being posted?

Forum Member

Thank you for your insight...but you have me more confused than ever. Being that I am not from the area I only understand towns and not subdivisions in which...we only have 3 days to land a rental. Do you suggest we go through a realtor? I think Arlington may be way over priced for most people. We do feel that good schools are important but not that we need to pay $2000 plus for a small rental..YIKES
    In Virginia you are either a town, city or county. Most "towns" are unincorporated areas with in the county. Check out the Fairfax County Public Schools website to find the areas with the best schools, but being that Fairfax is one of the top systems in the nation, you really won't go bad anywhere, you can just go good and great. You can find lots in the $1300-1500 range in the best school areas, just have to look a little harder.
    -Big Russ

Forum Member

Default Oops

Sorry to jump the gun there. For some reason my post wasn't being published and then all of the sudden it was. Strange.....

MembersZone Subscriber

In Virginia you are either a town, city or county. Most "towns" are unincorporated areas with in the county. Check out the Fairfax County Public Schools website to find the areas with the best schools, but being that Fairfax is one of the top systems in the nation, you really won't go bad anywhere, you can just go good and great. You can find lots in the $1300-1500 range in the best school areas, just have to look a little harder.
    A realtor showed me several apartments today, one looked "so-so", the others were in various states of disrepair. I was told that a rent budget of $1200-1300 puts us at "the bottom of the barrel", and this is the best that I can expect. If our situation doesn't improve tomorrow, We'll have to increase our budget, probably to $1400-1500/month. I'll definitely need a second job. Does anyone know of any good interfacility ambulance companies in DC/NOVA? Also, about how much per hour is standard for a transport company, or an er tech? Thanks.

Forum Member

A realtor showed me several apartments today, one looked "so-so", the others were in various states of disrepair. I was told that a rent budget of $1200-1300 puts us at "the bottom of the barrel", and this is the best that I can expect. If our situation doesn't improve tomorrow, We'll have to increase our budget, probably to $1400-1500/month. I'll definitely need a second job. Does anyone know of any good interfacility ambulance companies in DC/NOVA? Also, about how much per hour is standard for a transport company, or an er tech? Thanks.
    If you were to apply as an ER tech within the inova health systems you could make 15 an hour with your experience. Not great but not terrible for the position. If I were you man I'd honestly look 45 mins west or 45 minutes south. You dont want to strain your family life working two stressful jobs like that. Your quality of life would suck.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall7 View Post
    If you were to apply as an ER tech within the inova health systems you could make 15 an hour with your experience. Not great but not terrible for the position. If I were you man I'd honestly look 45 mins west or 45 minutes south. You dont want to strain your family life working two stressful jobs like that. Your quality of life would suck.
    He makes a good point, if you can live a little further out for a year while at the academy and your probation, you might be able to do a little better for yourself. But with a kid, forceing them to change schools every year might not be the best either. Will also be tough to have a second job while at the academy. After your probationary period you will have no problem finding a job in this market. You might even want to do something other than EMS after a few shifts. We have one guy at our house who works for the public schools as sort of a roving subsitute school nurse on his days off.
    -Big Russ

MembersZone Subscriber

He makes a good point, if you can live a little further out for a year while at the academy and your probation, you might be able to do a little better for yourself. But with a kid, forceing them to change schools every year might not be the best either. Will also be tough to have a second job while at the academy. After your probationary period you will have no problem finding a job in this market. You might even want to do something other than EMS after a few shifts. We have one guy at our house who works for the public schools as sort of a roving subsitute school nurse on his days off.
    We found a decent place, an apartment community with a pool, sauna, jacuzzi, and a gym with a personal trainer(free), with management office on premises. The apartments are in excellent condition, built in 1989, and the grounds are clean, quiet, and well landscaped. We'll be paying about $1050/month, after concessions. There is an elementary school down the street. The surrounding area seems safe. It's off of Sudley Rd, rear the Costco, near Rt. 66. We'll check with the police in regards to crime stats. Our application is currently being processed, so we have one day to do a little research. I don't know about the schools in the area, but my daughter is preschool age, so we'l reevaluate next year.

Forum Member

We found a decent place, an apartment community with a pool, sauna, jacuzzi, and a gym with a personal trainer(free), with management office on premises. The apartments are in excellent condition, built in 1989, and the grounds are clean, quiet, and well landscaped. We'll be paying about $1050/month, after concessions. There is an elementary school down the street. The surrounding area seems safe. It's off of Sudley Rd, rear the Costco, near Rt. 66. We'll check with the police in regards to crime stats. Our application is currently being processed, so we have one day to do a little research. I don't know about the schools in the area, but my daughter is preschool age, so we'l reevaluate next year.
    Many of the schools out that way are fairly new, as the area has had a huge boom since the mid-90's. You will have short drive to the academy, but after that it might be a bit of a challange getting to other stations in a timely manner. The transportation infrastructure out there has not really kept up with growth, but PW county and the state are working on it. You are in a pretty historical area with Bull Run and Manassas Battle fields right around the corner.
    -Big Russ

MembersZone Subscriber

Many of the schools out that way are fairly new, as the area has had a huge boom since the mid-90's. You will have short drive to the academy, but after that it might be a bit of a challange getting to other stations in a timely manner. The transportation infrastructure out there has not really kept up with growth, but PW county and the state are working on it. You are in a pretty historical area with Bull Run and Manassas Battle fields right around the corner.
    We were approved, and accepted the apartment.The indoor hot tub is pretty sweet. If I'll have start times around 0630, I should be able to avoid the rush hour traffic.

Forum Member

We were approved, and accepted the apartment.The indoor hot tub is pretty sweet. If I'll have start times around 0630, I should be able to avoid the rush hour traffic.
    Hey edpmedic I just got hired for the als pilot program as well and was wondering what the name of these apartments are and what area they are near. I think that you may have spoke to my best friend who also got hired. Let me know man cuz I am in the same position with a family and all

Thread Information