Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 62 FirstFirst 123451252 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: fairfax county

Quote Originally Posted by tucker9
    What's the main difference in ALS between EMT-I and P (besides definition - intermed. vs. paramedic) with regards to training and what FX county looks for (on their personal history statement required for submission, they ask for NREMT-Paramedic or Intermediate cert#'s). Will one get you hired quicker than the other? Or do they place equal weight on either?
    As far as Fairfax County is concerned, there is no difference bewtween an I and a P. The OMD would like to transition all ALS personnel to P, but right now, there is no difference in the hiring standard.

Also, once you complete the course (I'd do it locally at NOVA), do you then have to take a national test (NREMT or VA EMT)?
    Yes. Do yourself a favor and if given the option, ALWAYS take the National Registry.
    Member IACOJ - Building crust and full of lust...

"It's okay to to scared, just don't be chicken." - Clark

Forum Member

Question

Kobersteen...
    Earliest I could complete the ALS coursework and take the test to PASS (that's a confident all cap there) would be May '07 at NOVA.

Assuming that I make it thru the recruit/application process (about a 9 month timeline), that puts me in September '06 to complete and hopefully be put on the "list".

With all that in mind, there's a recruit class starting on May 28th '07. Would the fact that I'm enrolled at NOVA and will take the final EMT-I test in May for the National exam push my chances to make that May 28th class in your opinion? (assuming they like me after all the testing this year!)

about a 9 month timeline), that puts me in September '06 to complete and hopefully be put on the "list".
    Nine months is fairly quick without ALS cert in hand.

With all that in mind, there's a recruit class starting on May 28th '07. Would the fact that I'm enrolled at NOVA and will take the final EMT-I test in May for the National exam push my chances to make that May 28th class in your opinion? (assuming they like me after all the testing this year!)
    First, let me say that I know you are quite anxious to start. With that said, just go through the process and the timing will work itself out. I would be very surprised if you began rookie class as a Fire Medic without NR card in hand.

The department has surprised me before, but...

Forum Member

[QUOTE=Kobersteen]Nine months is fairly quick without ALS cert in hand.

From what I've been told that's about average from application time to the time they "put you on the list". What have you experienced or heard?

From what I've been told that's about average from application time to the time they "put you on the list". What have you experienced or heard?
    I guess that may be the case since they are doing so many rookie schools now. <shrug>

Forum Member

Question

So just how badly does the county need ALS candidates? I know you've said that it's a "business need". What's the story behind this need...is it that medics are dropping their certs, retirement, addt'l staffing requirements, push from the board of superv., etc.?

So just how badly does the county need ALS candidates?
    There is an ALS shortage all over the US, with spotty exceptions. The DC area just doesn't happen to be one of those areas with an influx of ALS personnel.

...is it that medics are dropping their certs, retirement, addt'l staffing requirements, push from the board of superv., etc.?
    Years of neglect, for the most part. Now Fairfax County is starting pre-trained ALS personnel at a higher pay step, paying personnel who occupy minimum ALS spots between $2-$3 more an hour and additional points on promotional exams. Plus, in most houses, the medic unit runs the most... and the additional CME and study time to be proficient. Sometimes it's alot of work being a medic.

If you ask me, ALS personnel might just be the answer to NFPA 1710 safe staffing...

Forum Member

Question

What is NFPA 1710 safe staffing? How does it affect the county?

FossilMedic

What is NFPA 1710 safe staffing? How does it affect the county?
    1) Do a Google search for NFPA 1710, there are half a dozen articles written about this standard and it's affect on career fire departments.

2) Virginia will not be affected by NFPA 1710, since the commonwealth would never adopt the standard. It does provide some ammunition to support the long-running effort to increase the minimum staffing on FxCo ladder trucks from 3 to 4.

3) Another factor with the FxCo medic need is that about 30% of the current ALS-qualified workforce can retire at any time.

Some of those old-school aging boomers will eventually have to retire because they entered the DROP plan a couple of years ago. The DROP plan is a way for the employee to create a nest-egg in the last years of municipal employment.

What is important to YOU is that many of them are reaching the limit of their allowable time in the DROP program - so they will be compelled to complete their agreement with the county and retire at the end of their DROP period. The first group should be approaching their deadline this summer.

4) Finally, the need for additional paramedic/firefighters is that the department is upgrading some BLS ambulances to ALS over the next couple of budget cycles. Medic 438 (West Centerville) is due this month.
    Last edited by MikeWard; 02-25-2006 at 12:40 PM.

Thank God you logged on Mike, I was getting dangerously close to the limit of my knowledge!

FossilMedic

Quote Originally Posted by Kobersteen
    Thank God you logged on Mike, I was getting dangerously close to the limit of my knowledge!

You know I got your back!

http://home.gwu.edu/~mikeward/

MembersZone Subscriber

well, i got my letter today, my written exam date is april 15th. i imagine that everyone who applys gets an exam, but im still excited. one step closer to going career. i know im not ALS, but hopefully, the fact that ive already graduated a fire academy will help.? gotta start making plans to find somewhere to stay up there, and wether to drive or fly.

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking Keep Trying!

I am not an EMT-P, I have been a volunteer in a neighboring jurisdiction for about 5 years now, and I was just hired for the 118th recruit class. I can't wait to get started!!!! There are a lot of recruit classes coming up, and it sounds like they will be hiring pretty continuously for the near future. Good luck to all.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by thelife
    I am not an EMT-P, I have been a volunteer in a neighboring jurisdiction for about 5 years now, and I was just hired for the 118th recruit class.
    Congradulations!

If I may ask, how long did it take you from application to finding out that you were placed in a rookie school?

Seeya on the other side!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Placement as a rookie

Kobersteen,

If you get hired by Fairfax County and complete recruit school how do they place you in a fire House. Do you float from fire house to fire house your first year or do they assign you a fire house to work out of? Do you get to put in prefrences for places you would like to work or is it just where ever they see fit to put you?

Thanks for the info.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things than to take rank with the poor timid spirits, who know neither victory nor defeat." FDR

MembersZone Subscriber

Kobersteen,

I got my letter of completion for the process a little over a year ago, and its been approx. 2 years since I applied. The reason it took so long for me to go from application to letter of completion was my vision, I had to have LASIK, which, by the way, is the greatest thing since sliced bread (I now have 20/20 vision). Thanks for the info, it is a huge help to those in the applications process/looking to apply.

FossilMedic

Quote Originally Posted by ant195
    If you get hired by Fairfax County and complete recruit school how do they place you in a fire House.
    Tall ones to truck companies, strong ones to heavy rescue units, smart ones that can type to houses with battalion chiefs, and everyone else on an ambulance!

[Just kidding]

You are assigned to a fire station based on where the vacancies exist at the time you graduate. Because you have to complete a documented probationary period, you will generally NOT be assigned to a slow outpost like Gunston, Clifton or Great Falls. During your probation time you will be assigned to tours on aerials, ems transport units, rescue companies and engines.

ALS certified rookies will also be required to complete their field internship, generally that will take precedence over their fire probation. Your field officer is responsible to assure that you complete the required experiences, tasks and competencies at the three, six and nine month mark.

Your battalion management team (battalion chief and ems supervisor) will review your progress with your field supervisor. The completion of your probation period as a firefighter is 12 months AFTER you have graduated from recruit school.

While finishing recruit school you will be asked to list your three fire station preferences, but there is no guarantee. Not even for the recruit that finishes the class ranked #1.

Mike
    38th Recruit School
    (notice that thelife will be in the 118th)
    Last edited by MikeWard; 02-26-2006 at 02:37 PM.

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by thelife
    I am not an EMT-P, I have been a volunteer in a neighboring jurisdiction for about 5 years now, and I was just hired for the 118th recruit class. I can't wait to get started!!!! There are a lot of recruit classes coming up, and it sounds like they will be hiring pretty continuously for the near future. Good luck to all.
    Congratulations on making it into the 118th! I hope to write in with the same news in the next 12-16 months! Keep us posted on how the academy is!

Talking "We had one fire helmet for the entire crew, back in the day!" - Ward

Quote Originally Posted by MikeWard
    Mike
    38th Recruit School
    (notice that thelife will be in the 118th)
    Right... like anyone who knows you needs to be reminded that your probation was over when you were able to feed the horses and clean their stables by yourself.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Thanks

Thanks for the info MikeWard and Kobersteen. Do either of you guys know the average time from testing to placement of recruits in the process? I have read the posts and people say 6 some say 9 months some took a year or more?
    I am not ALS so I am not a priority I know so I was just wondering the time frame.

Thanks
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things than to take rank with the poor timid spirits, who know neither victory nor defeat." FDR

Thread Information