Like Tree3Likes

Thread: fairfax county

Forum Member

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by MikeWard
    Medic training:
    The goal for employment is that the candidate has a valid EMT-Paramedic or EMT-Intermediate certification. Both NVCC and Associates in Emergency Care are CoAEMSP and Virginia OEMS accredited.
    PERFECT, I'm heading to the first class tonight then at AEC! With their program, it'll put me at taking a shot at the national test end of Jan. 07 vs end of May 07 with NVCC. Thanks so much Mike for your input. Invaluable to us all!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tucker9
    PERFECT, I'm heading to the first class tonight then at AEC! With their program, it'll put me at taking a shot at the national test end of Jan. 07 vs end of May 07 with NVCC. Thanks so much Mike for your input. Invaluable to us all!
    Just so you dont second guess yourself, heres more info and another opinion: I work with one of the main instructors for AEC. He is a good instructor and Paramedic. Some of my coworkers have taken their intermediate through AEC and all were satisfied. They did say that the AEC program was more challenging then others, and some did dropout or fail. This is a good thing though and should serve as motivation to do well. I myself took my PALS and ACLS through AEC and was satisified. Good Luck! stay on top of your reading and clinicals and youll be fine.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MaxD240808
    Just so you dont second guess yourself, heres more info and another opinion: I work with one of the main instructors for AEC. He is a good instructor and Paramedic. Some of my coworkers have taken their intermediate through AEC and all were satisfied. They did say that the AEC program was more challenging then others, and some did dropout or fail. This is a good thing though and should serve as motivation to do well. I myself took my PALS and ACLS through AEC and was satisified. Good Luck! stay on top of your reading and clinicals and youll be fine.
    If more challenging translates into being better prepared for the national test then I'm ok with that. My biggest worry is my lack of knowledge going into the class. I don't have a biology or health background at all. I was already overwhelmed by the cramming of human anatomy into one 3 hour session. I should have paid more attention in high school!

But, per your advice, I'll keep up on my reading and clinicals. Thanks Max!

Forum Member

Medic training:
    The goal for employment is that the candidate has a valid EMT-Paramedic or EMT-Intermediate certification. Both NVCC and Associates in Emergency Care are CoAEMSP and Virginia OEMS accredited.
    Understanding that the certification is the requirement, and to beat a dead horse...Is there ANY advantage to training through NVCC since they have an established relationship with FX county (and know the recruitment captain on a first name basis)? In other words, do they "feed" ALS candidates to the recruitment dept. in any way shape or form that you might be aware of. Any competitive edge is important (also for reference see this thread about comparing the two programs... http://forums.firehouse.com/showthread.php?t=79229 ) Thanks Mike!

FossilMedic

Wink "Press to shock ..."

Quote Originally Posted by tucker9
    Understanding that the certification is the requirement, and to beat a dead horse...Is there ANY advantage to training through NVCC
    Probably not for you, because you already have a bachelor degree. You do not need the college credits for career development.

Any real or implied relationship between NVCC and the recruitment staff has NO effect on the hiring application process. Federal regulations, affirmative action, etc ...

Mike

" ... what IS the setting to defibrillate a horse?"

Rabble rouser

" ... what IS the setting to defibrillate a horse?"
    I don't know... what did they use on Isman?

Member IACOJ - Building crust and full of lust...

"It's okay to to scared, just don't be chicken." - Clark

Forum Member

How successful is appealing a failed polygraph test? I am writing a letter of appeal but I am not quite sure what to put in the letter. I was sent a disqualification notice for a failed polygraph releating to the issues of drugs and theft. Now during my polygraph I was completely honest and told the investigator that I had only stolen a tarp and some rope from my employer no money or big ticket items which was the question he polygraphed me on. The drugs question said other than marijuana and the amounts we discussed previously have you used any other drugs? To both questions I answered truthfully and said no. Sorry about the long winded post, it's just frustrating not to lie and be told you are trying to lie. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

MembersZone Subscriber

Question Pass or Fail

Willisjones-
    You said after you took the polygraph that it went well, did the examiner tell you that you passed and then failed you?

Forum Member

Yes it went real well, I have read capt bob's book so I had my guard up about telling to much but at the same time i answered every question truthfully, if there was something I did that was wrong I did in no way lie about it. The examiner said i did great but that it was hit and miss on whether I have done drugs in the last year. I haven't done any drugs in 3 years and I told him this. Today I got a letter saying i was disqualified for failing the polygraph. So I called and the lady told me that I had deceptiong on theft and drugs. I just don't get it I didn't lie at all about either of these things. The theft issue i admitted stealing a blue tarp from my boss to use to move and some rope thats all i have ever stolen from my employers. The examiner said he was looking more for big ticket items like computers or money. But i haven't taken that stuff. I ll admit I was very nervous for this exam and was sweating like a bastard because this is my dream department to work for. Bascaillay the examiner writes up my report then he sends his findings to his boss and he makes the final call, if I understood it correctly. They told me I could appeal which I am so hopefully it will pan out. Sorry for the long post again.

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm glad they indicated that there is an appeal process for you. Maybe they will allow you to retest at your own expense.
    From what you said regarding the examiner telling you it was hit and miss on those two items when you were done, I think you might have been optimistic thinking it went well.
    I hope it all works out for you.

Forum Member

Yeah I might have been optimistic but he did say I didn't have anything to worry about. I was within the acceptable ranges but maybe different people read the scores differently. We will see what happens, I am going to appeal it and hopefully retest. Thanks for the help.

Rabble rouser

Well, I appealed and got the job. Don't know if that was the exception, but it does happen.

Forum Member

Oh good so I still do have a chance. In the appeals letter do you just basically tell them you didn't lie and explain your answers to the questions where there was deception?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Fairfax Employment

This forum has answered many of my questions and for that I am grateful to all who have posted. I am presently employed by a fire department in NC. It is a good department and I have enjoyed my time there. The problem is, that the department is smaller and very young as far as personnel ages. The size of the department in combination with the youth basically career freezes personnel at certain levels. Also, as previously stated, I am 41 years old and I feel that this may be the last, best chance I have at getting a job with a larger department. I have been at the department I am with now for 14 years and I am not aggressively pursuing getting hired by any other department other than Fairfax County. I will be taking the written exam 4/15/06. I am really looking forward to this opportunity and experience.

Rabble rouser

Quote Originally Posted by willisjones
    In the appeals letter do you just basically tell them you didn't lie and explain your answers to the questions where there was deception?
    Sure. I wouldn't go too much into explainations, but present your case in a straightforward and direct way. Push things that the department is targeting, like your bilingual skills, ALS, etc.

It can take time working up the chain of command, but it can work. Also begin the process again, that may work faster than the appeal.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fdronald
    This forum has answered many of my questions and for that I am grateful to all who have posted. I am presently employed by a fire department in NC. It is a good department and I have enjoyed my time there. The problem is, that the department is smaller and very young as far as personnel ages. The size of the department in combination with the youth basically career freezes personnel at certain levels. Also, as previously stated, I am 41 years old and I feel that this may be the last, best chance I have at getting a job with a larger department. I have been at the department I am with now for 14 years and I am not aggressively pursuing getting hired by any other department other than Fairfax County. I will be taking the written exam 4/15/06. I am really looking forward to this opportunity and experience.
    ronald where are you at in NC if you don't mind me asking?

Forum Member

Thanks for all your help, I really appreciate it.

Rabble rouser

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by fdronald
    ...I will be taking the written exam 4/15/06. I am really looking forward to this opportunity and experience.
    Good luck, brother. I hope to see you in class soon.

MembersZone Subscriber

Kobersteen,

You have probably said before, but what is your estimation for the time-frame of the hiring process? I have seen the projected recruit class schedule and I was concerned about how much time is between taking the written test and if successful taking the CPAT test. Also, do you have to come to the CPAT practice sessions? I am not trying to get out of something but if the practice is not mandatory it will save me one trip. We administer the CPAT at the department I now work for so I am somewhat familiar with the test itself.

Rabble rouser

Much depends on if you are a NR-I or NR-P. If you are ALS, then things may move as quickly as 4 months. If not, things can go for a year or so.

The Fairfax County CPAT practice sessions are by no means required, but I highly recommend doing a CPAT practice somewhere... best to do it here with the equipment you will be tested on, in the exact facility you will be tested in, though.

Forum Member

Question Once hired as a medic...

I'm training to be a medic now (EMT-I by May '07 hopefully). I've recently heard that in FX county, if I'm hired as a medic, they obligate you (contractually) to keep your medic cert. for as long as you work for them or they'll let you go. True?

Forum Member

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Kobersteen
    Well, I appealed and got the job. Don't know if that was the exception, but it does happen.
    Did you appeal from the polygraph in FX county? What was your basis and how did you win it?

FossilMedic

Quote Originally Posted by jamesct
    I'm training to be a medic now (EMT-I by May '07 hopefully). I've recently heard that in FX county, if I'm hired as a medic, they obligate you (contractually) to keep your medic cert. for as long as you work for them or they'll let you go. True?
    No. Especially if they did NOT pay for your paramedic training.

Contact Recruitment to get the official answer:
    http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/fr/recruitment/
    Last edited by MikeWard; 03-09-2006 at 05:00 PM.

Forum Member

Default not true mike....

mike,

that is actually not true, if you are hired with an ALS cert I or P and you are hired as a Fire Medic you sign a document that requires you as a condition of continuing employment to maintain your ALS certification. The only way to "get out of it" is to have the department agree or to get promoted.

you also have to remember that as a Fire Medic you are hired two pay steps above a firefighter/emt.

i have a friend who was hired for the 115, with his national registry I results pending, he got the results week 2 or 3 of the academy, they called him in, told him to study and if he failed again he would be terminated.

FossilMedic

Default Oops, my mistake

Thanks, my error.

Mike

Thread Information