Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 62 FirstFirst 12345671454 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: fairfax county

Forum Member

Yeah I might have been optimistic but he did say I didn't have anything to worry about. I was within the acceptable ranges but maybe different people read the scores differently. We will see what happens, I am going to appeal it and hopefully retest. Thanks for the help.

Well, I appealed and got the job. Don't know if that was the exception, but it does happen.
    Member IACOJ - Building crust and full of lust...

"It's okay to to scared, just don't be chicken." - Clark

Forum Member

Oh good so I still do have a chance. In the appeals letter do you just basically tell them you didn't lie and explain your answers to the questions where there was deception?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Fairfax Employment

This forum has answered many of my questions and for that I am grateful to all who have posted. I am presently employed by a fire department in NC. It is a good department and I have enjoyed my time there. The problem is, that the department is smaller and very young as far as personnel ages. The size of the department in combination with the youth basically career freezes personnel at certain levels. Also, as previously stated, I am 41 years old and I feel that this may be the last, best chance I have at getting a job with a larger department. I have been at the department I am with now for 14 years and I am not aggressively pursuing getting hired by any other department other than Fairfax County. I will be taking the written exam 4/15/06. I am really looking forward to this opportunity and experience.

Quote Originally Posted by willisjones
    In the appeals letter do you just basically tell them you didn't lie and explain your answers to the questions where there was deception?
    Sure. I wouldn't go too much into explainations, but present your case in a straightforward and direct way. Push things that the department is targeting, like your bilingual skills, ALS, etc.

It can take time working up the chain of command, but it can work. Also begin the process again, that may work faster than the appeal.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fdronald
    This forum has answered many of my questions and for that I am grateful to all who have posted. I am presently employed by a fire department in NC. It is a good department and I have enjoyed my time there. The problem is, that the department is smaller and very young as far as personnel ages. The size of the department in combination with the youth basically career freezes personnel at certain levels. Also, as previously stated, I am 41 years old and I feel that this may be the last, best chance I have at getting a job with a larger department. I have been at the department I am with now for 14 years and I am not aggressively pursuing getting hired by any other department other than Fairfax County. I will be taking the written exam 4/15/06. I am really looking forward to this opportunity and experience.
    ronald where are you at in NC if you don't mind me asking?

Forum Member

Thanks for all your help, I really appreciate it.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by fdronald
    ...I will be taking the written exam 4/15/06. I am really looking forward to this opportunity and experience.
    Good luck, brother. I hope to see you in class soon.

MembersZone Subscriber

Kobersteen,

You have probably said before, but what is your estimation for the time-frame of the hiring process? I have seen the projected recruit class schedule and I was concerned about how much time is between taking the written test and if successful taking the CPAT test. Also, do you have to come to the CPAT practice sessions? I am not trying to get out of something but if the practice is not mandatory it will save me one trip. We administer the CPAT at the department I now work for so I am somewhat familiar with the test itself.

Much depends on if you are a NR-I or NR-P. If you are ALS, then things may move as quickly as 4 months. If not, things can go for a year or so.

The Fairfax County CPAT practice sessions are by no means required, but I highly recommend doing a CPAT practice somewhere... best to do it here with the equipment you will be tested on, in the exact facility you will be tested in, though.

Forum Member

Question Once hired as a medic...

I'm training to be a medic now (EMT-I by May '07 hopefully). I've recently heard that in FX county, if I'm hired as a medic, they obligate you (contractually) to keep your medic cert. for as long as you work for them or they'll let you go. True?

Forum Member

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Kobersteen
    Well, I appealed and got the job. Don't know if that was the exception, but it does happen.
    Did you appeal from the polygraph in FX county? What was your basis and how did you win it?

FossilMedic

Quote Originally Posted by jamesct
    I'm training to be a medic now (EMT-I by May '07 hopefully). I've recently heard that in FX county, if I'm hired as a medic, they obligate you (contractually) to keep your medic cert. for as long as you work for them or they'll let you go. True?
    No. Especially if they did NOT pay for your paramedic training.

Contact Recruitment to get the official answer:
    http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/fr/recruitment/
    Last edited by MikeWard; 03-09-2006 at 05:00 PM.

Forum Member

Default not true mike....

mike,

that is actually not true, if you are hired with an ALS cert I or P and you are hired as a Fire Medic you sign a document that requires you as a condition of continuing employment to maintain your ALS certification. The only way to "get out of it" is to have the department agree or to get promoted.

you also have to remember that as a Fire Medic you are hired two pay steps above a firefighter/emt.

i have a friend who was hired for the 115, with his national registry I results pending, he got the results week 2 or 3 of the academy, they called him in, told him to study and if he failed again he would be terminated.

FossilMedic

Default Oops, my mistake

Thanks, my error.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by jamesct
    Did you appeal from the polygraph in FX county? What was your basis and how did you win it?
    Well, the county's official rejection was 'over discepencies in my polygraph'. Funny, during my appeal with the fire chief, my poly never came up.

Forum Member

Question

Quote Originally Posted by wnwd00
    The only way to "get out of it" is to have the department agree or to get promoted.
    How does a promotion exclude you from the "contract" you sign? Doesn't a promotion include the EMS side of the equation? What type of promotion are we talking about?

i have a friend who was hired for the 115, with his national registry I results pending, he got the results week 2 or 3 of the academy, they called him in, told him to study and if he failed again he would be terminated.
    Assuming that their completion of medic training and pending test results were a major consideration for being hired, how did your friend set that all up with recruitment? I'm going to be in a similar position and would like to accelerate the hiring process if possible. Thanks for any information!

Forum Member

you sign a job description if hired as a firemedic and you are employed as a firemedic until you get a promotion then you have a new job description that as long as it is not a EMS technician does not require you to maintain ALS certification. so that is how that works.

it seems that my friend in the 115 sat for his registry I test, and there was a spot in the class that needed to be filled with an ALS person, and they hired him assuming he would pass. it turns out he failed the written the first time while in the academy, and he was told he would be fired if he did not pass the written the second time. thankfully he did.

Forum Member

until you get a promotion then you have a new job description that as long as it is not a EMS technician does not require you to maintain ALS certification.
    Is technician or Lieutenant the next logical promotion to go for after being a ffmedic? Do you have to maintain ALS as a lieutenant? I'm a little confused as to how it all works - i.e. do you have to "switch" to supression when you go for the promotion. Or, as a straight lieutenant, can you then consider dropping ALS? I WANT to be a medic but I'm just trying to think about the future and what all the options may be in case I don't like it after I've actually been doing it a while.

Also, who pays for the re-testing (every two years?) and the hours required for a re-cert?

Thanks all!!

Okay, see if this is clear as mud:

A Fire Medic can test for Technician (EMS, Tech Rescue, HazMat or Apparatus) after about 23 months out of rookie school. The EMS Technician rank is the only rank that REQUIRES ALS at this time, but if you use your ALS "career development points" on the exams for the others, you must keep your ALS for a period of time that I do not know after being promoted.

A Fire Medic can ALSO test for Lieutenant (EMS or Supression... soon to be merged to one) after 35 months out of rookie school. The rules are the same as listed above.

Recertification requirements and costs are taken care of by Fairfax County. You go to continuing education several times per year and then take the OMDs 'recert test' when you are ready to recert.

Thread Information