Like Tree3Likes

Thread: fairfax county

Rabble rouser

Quote Originally Posted by jamesct
    Did you appeal from the polygraph in FX county? What was your basis and how did you win it?
    Well, the county's official rejection was 'over discepencies in my polygraph'. Funny, during my appeal with the fire chief, my poly never came up.
    Member IACOJ - Building crust and full of lust...

"It's okay to to scared, just don't be chicken." - Clark

Forum Member

Question

Quote Originally Posted by wnwd00
    The only way to "get out of it" is to have the department agree or to get promoted.
    How does a promotion exclude you from the "contract" you sign? Doesn't a promotion include the EMS side of the equation? What type of promotion are we talking about?

i have a friend who was hired for the 115, with his national registry I results pending, he got the results week 2 or 3 of the academy, they called him in, told him to study and if he failed again he would be terminated.
    Assuming that their completion of medic training and pending test results were a major consideration for being hired, how did your friend set that all up with recruitment? I'm going to be in a similar position and would like to accelerate the hiring process if possible. Thanks for any information!

Forum Member

you sign a job description if hired as a firemedic and you are employed as a firemedic until you get a promotion then you have a new job description that as long as it is not a EMS technician does not require you to maintain ALS certification. so that is how that works.

it seems that my friend in the 115 sat for his registry I test, and there was a spot in the class that needed to be filled with an ALS person, and they hired him assuming he would pass. it turns out he failed the written the first time while in the academy, and he was told he would be fired if he did not pass the written the second time. thankfully he did.

Forum Member

until you get a promotion then you have a new job description that as long as it is not a EMS technician does not require you to maintain ALS certification.
    Is technician or Lieutenant the next logical promotion to go for after being a ffmedic? Do you have to maintain ALS as a lieutenant? I'm a little confused as to how it all works - i.e. do you have to "switch" to supression when you go for the promotion. Or, as a straight lieutenant, can you then consider dropping ALS? I WANT to be a medic but I'm just trying to think about the future and what all the options may be in case I don't like it after I've actually been doing it a while.

Also, who pays for the re-testing (every two years?) and the hours required for a re-cert?

Thanks all!!

Rabble rouser

Okay, see if this is clear as mud:

A Fire Medic can test for Technician (EMS, Tech Rescue, HazMat or Apparatus) after about 23 months out of rookie school. The EMS Technician rank is the only rank that REQUIRES ALS at this time, but if you use your ALS "career development points" on the exams for the others, you must keep your ALS for a period of time that I do not know after being promoted.

A Fire Medic can ALSO test for Lieutenant (EMS or Supression... soon to be merged to one) after 35 months out of rookie school. The rules are the same as listed above.

Recertification requirements and costs are taken care of by Fairfax County. You go to continuing education several times per year and then take the OMDs 'recert test' when you are ready to recert.

Forum Member

Question

So if you pass the test (for a non ems promotion for instance), you get the promotion, period. Or do they have other "subjective" methods factored in (interviews, past reviews, etc.)?

Do they make it harder for ALS certified medics to "switch" to a non ems position with a promotion? I'm sure they try and discourage this somehow, yes??

Also, per your comment..."(EMS or Supression... soon to be merged to one)" When are they expected to be merged and what will the end result be? How will this affect a Lieutenant having to keep their ALS cert?

Rabble rouser

So if you pass the test (for a non ems promotion for instance), you get the promotion, period. Or do they have other "subjective" methods factored in (interviews, past reviews, etc.)?
    Well, you pass the written and practical tests and then your written score is factored in (percentages vary with rank) with your time in grade and career development points. From that, you are placed on a ranked list.

Do they make it harder for ALS certified medics to "switch" to a non ems position with a promotion? I'm sure they try and discourage this somehow, yes??
    Not really. They actually make it easier with the added career development points for ALS certification.

Also, per your comment..."(EMS or Supression... soon to be merged to one)" When are they expected to be merged and what will the end result be? How will this affect a Lieutenant having to keep their ALS cert?
    They will merge very soon... I'm not totally surw when the first test will be. All that means is that "a lieutenant is a lieutenant is a lieutenant" As it stands right now, EMS Lieutenants ride the OIC seat of the medic unit, but cannot ride the OIC seat of an Engine, Ladder or Squad. After the merge, if you are an ALS certified Lieutenant, you can ride the fright-ront seat of anything you are certified for.

Forum Member

How long does it typically take these days to get promoted? I recently heard that there are a lot of "chiefs" and not enough Indians. Is FXFD bloated in the middle with a lot of lieutenants? Do you have to wait until they retire or get promoted further before you can move up?

Great discussion by the way, thanks all for the inside info on FX.

Rabble rouser

Well, there is a promotional test for every rank every two years. To date, the lists for EMS, HazMat and Tech Rescue all are exhausted WELL before they expire. Same for EMS Lieutenant.

True, there must be a vacancy before one gets promoted, but if you rate high, even on the Apparatus Tecnicians test, promotion is certian.

Check out the current lists at: http://www.fairfaxfirefighters.org/P...onal_Items.htm

Forum Member

Default EMT I's & P's...

Quote Originally Posted by Kobersteen
    The reason why I stress the NR-I and P is that it has been identified as a business need, so those with those certifications are being pushed through the process more rapidly than those without.
    Back to this discussion if you don't mind. I've heard that the BIG push for I's & P's is sort of over in FY 06 with the goal of 400 ALS providers being reached. I'm looking to finish my I in spring 07. Do you think the need will be as great then? Also, do the recruit classes have "slots" for ALS certified recruits that need to be filled each time? Are they being filled each class?

Many thanks.

FossilMedic

The first of the DROP participants MUST retire in September.

There may be 400 paramedics now, probably 50 - 150 eligible to retire when you have completed your training.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by nlfdrescue8
    i am a 20yr old firefighter 2/paramedic from ohio near lancaster area looking for a job anywhere. i have heard a lot about fairfax county and see they are a fairly large department. anyone have any input on the department, is it a nice place to work? nice area to move? i wouldnt mind moving for the right job, and any input would be very helpful. thanks

You also might want to check out Loudon county, their application is due 04-28-2006 and there are now 39 stations in FFx county. good luck in the job search

Rabble rouser

Quote Originally Posted by tucker9
    Do you think the need will be as great then?

I don't forsee preferential recruitment being taken away from NR-Is and Ps any time soon.

For all else, see my distinguished retired collegue, Mike Ward.

Good luck!

Forum Member

Default Medical Test on Friday

Just got scheduled for the medical test on Friday. Besides the physical, what else should I expect? Treadmill, O2 tests, endurance stuff - if so, what's it entail?

THANKS!

R.I.P K.Apuzzio 4/11/06

Just got scheduled for the medical test on Friday. Besides the physical, what else should I expect? Treadmill, O2 tests, endurance stuff - if so, what's it entail?

THANKS!
    Doing my Medical tomorrow afternoon. I'll let you know. Stress test, blood work, PFT? i'm guessing. . . .

Rabble rouser

Just got scheduled for the medical test on Friday. Besides the physical, what else should I expect?
    I guarantee it will be the best physical you ever recieve, that is until you get hired... then it will be your annual physical. Blood work, urine test, Stress test, PFT, vision, depth perception, color recognition, normal physical stuff (vitals, reflex, hernia, etc).

Hopefully Fargo will let you know, because I can't remember everything I had!

Good luck... study hard for the urine test!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fargo2722
    Doing my Medical tomorrow afternoon. I'll let you know. Stress test, blood work, PFT? i'm guessing. . . .
    Thanks Fargo, I'll check in before I go on Friday and see if you've posted.

bpalmer6417
    Firehouse.com Guest

Default Fairfax Co. employment

I passed the written test back in feb and i'am supposed to go down for the cpat in may but i'm not sure if my wife and i can afford to live down there it really sucks.

FossilMedic

Default Housing

A couple of resources that could help:

http://www.apartmentguide.com/

Apartment guide is on-line and publishes a hefty book that you can find in most of the local grocery stores. You can order a copy from the website for $5 - ask for the northern Virginia book.

http://www.rentnet.com/apartments/home.jhtml?lnksrc=ts5

The cheaper apartments rent for $700/month and, like most of the affordable housing in the DC area, in neighborhoods heavy with newly arrived immigrants. We have a large group from central South America. If you are looking for a vibrant, multicultural experience . . .

The majority of the firefighters do NOT live in Fairfax County. There is no residency requirement. When I worked at the Tyson's station the crew came from Delaware, West Virginia, Pennsylvania, Maryland and Washington DC.

The metro DC area has the highest percentage of dual-income families, both spouses have jobs.

bpalmer6417
    Firehouse.com Guest

Default housing

where do you think the best/safest place to raise a child is near fairfax co do you have any suggestions? i'm from VT so it is pretty calm up here country setting
    Last edited by bpalmer6417; 04-19-2006 at 06:19 PM.

FossilMedic

Quote Originally Posted by bpalmer6417
    where do you think the best/safest place to raise a child is near fairfax co do you have any suggestions? i'm from VT so it is pretty calm up here country setting
    The "best" place may be based on your impression of the school system. Staying within Virginia you will notice that Prince William and Loudoun counties are right next to Fairfax.

They both have the challenge of exploding communities that overtax their infrastructure. With each county line you cross, the community becomes more rural. When you come down for the CPAT, ask the parents that are working the test.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default medical exam

hey, im scheduled for my medical exam soon and i was wondering if anybody can tell me what to expect exactly this way im not going in the dark, thanks

Rabble rouser

Look a couple messages up (#91) for the scoop on the medical.

Good luck!

Forum Member

Default medical

hi , i noticed some posts here on the medical but i was wondering if someone could tell me some specifics. does this test include how many sit ups, push ups bench press etc, or is it majority a medical physical and your backround health. thank so much

MembersZone Subscriber

I recently applied and received a letter of acceptance for the written exam. Does Fairfax run continuous recruitment and simply places passing personnel on a wait list? Or, are there current openings?

Thanks for any assistance.
    Local 2068

Thread Information