Like Tree3Likes

Thread: fairfax county

Forum Member

From what I heard from inside the dept, there were over 1,200 people testing from the Nov. 2011 FF/EMT application period. So I'm assuming atleast a good few hundred people will go through/complete the whole process and wait on the list. They typically run 2 classes a year with about 30 recruits each (15medics/15non-medics). In the past, the focus had been on hiring only medics. That has slowed down though. Again, it just depends on the deptartments needs and finances.

I've found that long waits seems to be common with many fire departments. You potentially have shortened waits the more criteria you fit. I have yet to see a hurry-up hiring process anywhere (except Fairfax County about 5 years ago running 4 academies a year, snatching medics immediately). I can say that part for a fact since my buddy was hired and started his academy 2 weeks after medic school.

My advice...Don't worry about how big the list is or the speed of the process. Do what you can to stand out from the rest. There's no perfect recipe to get hired.

But yes, contact recruitment with questions. The worst that are going to tell is that they don't know yet or that they can't disclose that information.

Forum Member

Just put my resume in, how long until you heard about an application for fire/medic?

Forum Member

Well good-luck to everyone who is on the list and still waiting. @Cassey how was the psych exam was it nerve wrecking and how long did it last?

Forum Member

@Pillyphill, Being on the list is one thing and getting called is another thing. One struggles to get the process complete then you start wondering whether you would be called. In anycase thank you.
    I want to wish all those still in the process all the best and patience is the key. For me the first part lasted for almost 4 hours because I wanted to make sure that I understood the questions very well before giving any response. The second part, the interview with a psychologist lasted for about 45mins,basically consisting review of the first part, personal information and employment history and it is pretty easy.
    Good luck

Forum Member

Well I took my psych exam today and man anybody that takes that almost deserves the job that is a process in itself. Its just the fact that you're sitting there for 3/4 hours just filling in bubbles, I don't think the SOL tests were this bad. But I passed with no red flags so that's a good sign.

Forum Member

Congrats, in about 2-3weeks you will get your completion letter in the mail and become part of the long waiting team always looking at ur phone for any missed call.
    @Anybody knows of any fire department hiring right now?

@All, please keep this thread alife by coming back to share experience. Those that are waiting for calls please indicate when you completed the process and also whether you applied as FF/EMT or FF/Medic.

I applied for FF/EMT and completed the process oct 31st.

Forum Member

I applied November of last year when it opened up and finished November 21st. Just over 1 year.

Forum Member

Hey guys, Please come back and share your experience. Any news yet about upcoming class. I am still waiting too, I dont know whether there would be a class for Feb/April since no one has reported having got a call. Normaly, they should have made a few calls for upcoming class but so far no one has got any.

@ Phillyphill, what about your results? No news yet? Dont worry all will be ok.

Forum Member

Fairfax looking for medics?

Forum Member

@cassy

No news yet, still waiting I haven't been waiting too long its only been about a week since i finished. I'm not expecting anything until late December early January

Forum Member

@ PreMedic13

What about you? Any news on your results? Hope you share with us any outcome.
    Anyone know of any FD in Virginia hiring?

Forum Member

Default Nov

Hey, guys I applied last year in Nov and finished everything in june but i finally got my completion letter today, like the rest of you just waiting on that call. Any advice on what to do while waiting for the call?

Forum Member

@ onegoal

Happy to read from you and to know that we are many of us out there waiting. Are you for FF/EMT or FF/Medic? Are you out-of-state or a Virginia resident? Did you take all your examination within a short time or they were spread over a long time because it sounds weird that you completed in June but only got ur completion letter today. My was spread over, my CPAT was in Feb, Poly in April and Medicals in June while psycho in Oct. I definitely think that a class is gonna come up soon but dont know exactly when. Please through more light on how the process through.

Forum Member

@cassy:

It's been 6 weeks and I have not heard anything about my exams. I don't really plan on it for awhile.

Also, With all due respect, please stop begging for information. The forum will naturally get busier as other people hear more hiring info.

Forum Member

If anyone is interested, Alexandria, VA is taking apps for medics only. Online application is due this Friday, Nov. 30th. Their academy will start about May.

Forum Member

@ PreMedic13,

If my messages offended you I do apologize and would not address any to you in the future but would like to advice you to sincerely step out of the forum for this is a free speech forum where people come and seek for any information of their likeness without any abusive manner but if you want to define the type of information shared/requested here then creat your own thread and manage it the way you want otherwise you are at the wrong place. How do you know the announcement you just made above is not begging for notice?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by cassy View Post
    @ PreMedic13,

If my messages offended you I do apologize and would not address any to you in the future but would like to advice you to sincerely step out of the forum for this is a free speech forum where people come and seek for any information of their likeness without any abusive manner but if you want to define the type of information shared/requested here then creat your own thread and manage it the way you want otherwise you are at the wrong place. How do you know the announcement you just made above is not begging for notice?
    Dont get @Premedic13 wrong - no one's offended. I think they were just trying to say you should temper your enthusiasm. Fairfax is an awesome county to not only work for, but even to be considered for. Trust me, any of us on the list who get an offer will let everyone know - we are all on pins and needles. But one thing to know is that the process is long and not a lot of info is given by HR in regards to who/what/when/why until its actually hiring time. Ive been on the completed list since May and havent heard a word other than "thank you" when I submit a new training cert to update my file. A friend of mine who completed their process in February was just hired in September so the list is substantial. Hold tight, continue to better yourself, and above all - adapt a strong case of patience. Good luck to you (and everyone else on the list).

Peace and blessings!
    marbuckle likes this.
    Hug a firefighter and feel warm all over

Forum Member

So I began the process early this week. I couldn't have been more eager to finish. Everything was going well until yep you guessed it . . . . . the dreaded polygraph. I spent a good 5 1/2 hours. Telling the examiner everything! I held nothing back. I wasn't about to lose out on this great opportunity. By not being completely truthful or hiding something. My examiner told me that he was convinced that I was being dishonest with 3 of the 14 questions. This was horrible and my worst fear. I pleaded with him to please believe me. After he badgered me for quite some time. He told me that I would have another chance. I would be able to come back and answer ONLY the 3 questions I missed. I don’t understand what will be different next time? I will tell the truth again. I don’t understand why I won’t fail again?

Forum Member

From what i've read its almost normal for them to do that. So you can tell them extra stuff, or rethink things. They did the same with me but my guy wasnt like that I had to come back but I had to redo the whole poly. So just be prepared again and whatever you do don't change your answers. Don't second guess it. Once you commit to the answer that you've told him that's it.

Forum Member

Thanks for the advice phillyphill. I will defiantly stick to my guns. How did you do your second time around by the way?

Forum Member

I assume I passed it, I went on to do the physical and then the psychological exam months later. I assume you're not local and that's why they had you do everything at once?
    Last edited by phillyphill; 12-16-2012 at 11:15 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by PreMedic13 View Post
    Anyone work as a medic part or full-time in the Fairfax County Hospitals or hospitals in the surrounding area? Is it a good job? Decent pay?
    Payrate varies between hospitals, but typically you're looking at $14-17/hr, +night and weekend differentials (usually $1 or 2). Some hospitals have a wider scope for their techs than others. For example, techs are barely allowed into trauma rooms at Fairfax hospital... you'll mainly be starting IV's, doing splints, and moving patients. Other hospitals let their techs have a say in how a code or traumas being handled. Not a bad gig to make some extra money, especially if you can get a PRN position where you make a little more, and schedule as you're available.

And unrelated to the hospital gig... Talked to some recruiters from Fairfax in November (2012), turned my paperwork in about a week ago. I'm scheduled for my written and medical this week.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by phillyphill View Post
    I assume I passed it, I went on to do the physical and then the psychological exam months later. I assume you're not local and that's why they had you do everything at once?

Yea I am from Illinois. Where jobs are scarce right now. I did go through the whole process last week. Psych, written, poly, medical, CPAT & interview.

Forum Member

Thanks alot for the info....That's good to know! Good luck in the process.

Forum Member

Has anyone completed the full process, received a letter for completion and not been offered a job? Also take this with a grain of salt but my buddy who is in the ffd said they should be calling people in January for a class, this is what he heard, im not sure when the class is.

Thread Information