Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 44 of 63 FirstFirst ... 344142434445464754 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: fairfax county

MembersZone Subscriber
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those willing to work and give to those who are not." Thomas Jefferson

MembersZone Subscriber

Here's the county's official CPAT video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_tFxYKMSjw

Pay attention to the audio at 4:30; the importance of attending the training sessions is stressed.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those willing to work and give to those who are not." Thomas Jefferson

Forum Member

Anybody get notifications yet?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by edpmedic View Post
    Not the best attitude to have. I traveled from Queens, NY, paid for a one night hotel stay, and took the practice session. If you want the job bad enough, you won't leave anything to chance. How will you know if you're overqualified if you've never done a test run with the course? Many fail the test for various reasons. Like japanesezero said, you need to familiarize yourself with instant disqualification criteria. This isn't something you should be trying to figure out on test day.

Edit: I saw the same attitude in the academy. You're sometimes granted the option of staying after the day's end for extra practice with the evolutions, on your own time (uncompensated). Some did, some chose not to. Guess who needed to retest? Guess who failed out?

I honestly would've loved to have been able to have had the time/money to take the practice course in Fairfax County. However, my father being a career firefighter, I was able to talk to a lot of the newer guys on the job to find out specific workouts to get into the shape I'm in now. A few of the guys trained on this type of CPAT and explained that it isn't as tough as prior years other CPAT's. The training course in Newark NJ allowed myself to become familiar w/ the New Jersey Ability Test. The skills are similar, the only difference is it is more fast-paced.

Thank you all for the input.

Andy

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by bigandy View Post
    I honestly would've loved to have been able to have had the time/money to take the practice course in Fairfax County. However, my father being a career firefighter, I was able to talk to a lot of the newer guys on the job to find out specific workouts to get into the shape I'm in now. A few of the guys trained on this type of CPAT and explained that it isn't as tough as prior years other CPAT's. The training course in Newark NJ allowed myself to become familiar w/ the New Jersey Ability Test. The skills are similar, the only difference is it is more fast-paced.

Thank you all for the input.

Andy
    I understand what you're saying. I had a stepmill and weight vests in my old gym when I was training for the CPAT. I was already doing dragon flags, full contact twists, and windshield wipers hanging from the pullup bar. I found the practice session and the actual test quite easy. If you have access to equipment at an actual firehouse, that's definitely a bonus. It's just that we see many failures on what is an easy, watered down test. One person I work with worked one CPAT testing event, and he said that 39 out of 40 failed. It was like they woke up that morning and were like "I feel like being a firefighter today," like they just tried it out for a goof or something.

MembersZone Subscriber

Same fire from post # 861, only in proper chronological order, and from a much better vantage point:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30SCtOHUGhc

The previous video was confusing, because some parts were out of sequence.

Forum Member

I was 1 of 4 to pass out of 40 or so at the 1st time trial for my CPAT. I did a LOT of steps and running, and lifting. It was fun, I didn't think it was that bad. Although this process is taking a long time and it's hard to keep motivated and to the gym.

So, they're letting me retake to Poly. Guess it's a more focused one. I forget what it's called, but happy it's not a 1 shot deal.
    Last edited by Slikrthnu; 01-25-2011 at 10:40 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Slikrthnu View Post
    I was 1 of 4 to pass out of 40 or so at the 1st time trial for my CPAT. I did a LOT of steps and running, and lifting. It was fun, I didn't think it was that bad. Although this process is taking a long time and it's hard to keep motivated and to the gym.

So, they're letting me retake to Poly. Guess it's a more focused one. I forget what it's called, but happy it's not a 1 shot deal.
    That sounds about right. I've heard a bunch of stories of people having to take a second poly, including myself. They do a more focused test, just a series of questions on whatever they said you failed. Personally, I think they're just fishing, taking a chance that you were lying about something. After my second poly, the detective showed me some graph, said I was again deceptive. I was truthful, so I couldn't give a reason as to why there was this supposed deception. I was asked repeatedly to explain the graph results. I couldn't. I was honest. As I was leaving, he told me "I'm not giving up on this, the county really wants to hire you, blah blah blah." "Here's my card, call me on the way back home if you can think of why you failed that question." A couple of months later, I received my letter of successful completion of the process.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by edpmedic View Post
    That sounds about right. I've heard a bunch of stories of people having to take a second poly, including myself. They do a more focused test, just a series of questions on whatever they said you failed. Personally, I think they're just fishing, taking a chance that you were lying about something. After my second poly, the detective showed me some graph, said I was again deceptive. I was truthful, so I couldn't give a reason as to why there was this supposed deception. I was asked repeatedly to explain the graph results. I couldn't. I was honest. As I was leaving, he told me "I'm not giving up on this, the county really wants to hire you, blah blah blah." "Here's my card, call me on the way back home if you can think of why you failed that question." A couple of months later, I received my letter of successful completion of the process.
    Same thing happened to me... Only they asked me focused questions at the end of my first one. Got the same card and if you remember anything line too... Just be honest and confident in your honesty and you will be fine.

Forum Member

edpmedic, thank you very much for your input. I wish I had read your posts years ago. It looks like I was in the same place where most of the people posting here are. I was worried about the CPAT, polygraph, and psych tests when I should have really been worried about paramedic school.

I first applied about 2 years ago for the FF/EMT and made it up to the polygraph where I failed. It took me almost a year to get to the poly. I reapplied as an EMT-Intermediate 6 months ago and everything got pushed through in less than 3 months. I also passed my poly, even though my answers and questions were the same (I kept a copy of my first background questionnaire).

When I was in AEC's (Associates in Emergency Care) EMT-intermediate class, Fairfax recruitment came and passed out fliers, pens, etc, and told us to apply now since the application process takes a while. In the meantime we should continue to Paramedic and by that time we would be eligible for hire.

Now that I have been to numerous fire stations in Prince William, Arlington, Fairfax, Dale City, (because of EMT-B,I and currently P clinical ), I realize that over 70 percent of the calls in the fire station are NOT fire related. Usually on a medic rotation I would go out on 8-6 calls in a busy station (12 hr shift), whereas the firefighters would maybe go on 2-4 calls, and half of those were because the MEDICS requested them.

Also, 4 students in my P class just got hired from Alexandria. They were all EMT-I's.
    Last edited by surgeo; 01-27-2011 at 05:46 PM.

Forum Member

Forum,
    I am a NREMT-P / 10 year DoD firefighter looking at moving around the DC area. I was wondering if a Fire/Medic from Fairfax would be able to donate a little bit of their time to help me get a better feel for the department and area over a private message. The recruiting office was a wonderful help, yet really can only tell me so much apart from having some one on one time with the men and women who work in ops to get a better sense of the day to day. Most of my questions are along the lines of continuing education opportunities, ALS protocols/ED facilities in the area, resources/equipment, community outreach, etc.

Thank you

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Japanesezero View Post
    Same thing happened to me... Only they asked me focused questions at the end of my first one. Got the same card and if you remember anything line too... Just be honest and confident in your honesty and you will be fine.
    I wish they wouldn't do that crap. I was so sure that I failed the second poly, that I took an EMS job down south, broke my lease and had to go to court to avoid paying my slum lords (we won), only to get the succcessful completion letter a month or so after I moved down there (D'oh!). Accepting a job offer with Fairfax was a no-brainer, so I had to break another lease and eat a few grand. I could have just stayed in NYC, worked at my well paying hospital based NYC 911 EMS gig, and joined the 125th instead of the 126th (had a great time with the 126th, though, wouldn't trade it for anything!). I moved down south because it was the one time that my wife would be agreeable to leaving the city. I had to take a job, any job to get out, so I did it. All in all, between moving costs, the lower salary down south, and having to pay to break the lease, I figure that the polygraph administrator (or whatever they're called) cost me around 20 grand give or take, by feeding me that line, call me back, you're deceptive and we need an explanation, etc. etc. He actually cost me more, since I was making around 80k w/OT, and my wife was making 55k, with fairly cheap rent. Thanks detective! I'm fortunate to have passed the poly, and I'm thankful for that every day, but still.......

MembersZone Subscriber

BTW, the CPAT is cancelled for 1/26. I saw the sign at the WelFit center. Call to confirm, of course.

Forum Member

Passed my CPAT today. I was the fourth to go just to get it over with and get a feel for the course with my eye balls. In that time period I saw 2 failures: One person went over time, and the other slipped off the step mill. It was my first time on the step mill...EVER. I got on and felt lopsided w/ the extra weight added and had to grasp the hand-rail during the first 20 seconds...but I told myself, I didn't just drive 5 hours to fail this test.

Long story short...the Captain told me it will be several months before they start calling people for the next portion. I explained I will be attending Paramedic school and the Captain told me to let them know once I am enrolled.

Now starts the waiting game. However, I feel a weight has been taken off of my shoulders with finishing this CPAT!

Thank you all for your input.

MembersZone Subscriber

Are they done hiring people or are they still hiring people. I passed the CPAT back in October and still have not heard when i do the next step i email them and i got a response back in decmember saying they were still testing and i would do the next step in february and let me know in december. I sent another email and still havent got a email back. Has anyone heard anything or know whats going on please let me know.

Forum Member

I would just give them a call. They should be able to tell you whats going on.

Forum Member

Good luck to everyone.
    Last edited by Slikrthnu; 05-07-2011 at 09:01 PM.

Forum Member

Lets get this one back up and going. Who all is a medic, completed the process(with completion letter)and waiting to hear back about the next class?

MembersZone Subscriber

I am a medic and pass the process back in april 2010 and still waiting. I know of two others same boat I am in. I would also like to know how many are in the pool.

Forum Member

I am a medic from pa and in the same boat hoping for some good news this fall.

Thread Information